Canon IP3000 - ink takes forever to dry!

I can't seem to reply directly to the Kodak rep. I get an 'unable to
retrieve message'.

On the drop down menu on the Kodak site, there is a printer called
'Canon bubblejet 3000' Is this the same as the Canon pixma ip3000? I
can't find anything else that's close.

Also, in the print adjustments, it list two kinds of paper, but no
adjustments for the 2 sided kodak paper that I use (picture paper -
soft gloss). Why not? I thought all papers Kodak makes would be
covered. I'm having a real problem getting dark black on this Kodak
paper. They look washed out. I'm using the 'other paper' setting at
highest quality. If I use 'plain paper' at highest quality, I get a
much darker black, but the ink is wet! If I use 'plain paper' at
standard setting, the ink is dry but there are ugly printer lines
(seams) throughout the picture because the quality is not as high.
I've tried all the other settings: glossy, photo glossy, matte, etc.
The only correct (dark) black I get is using the 'plain paper'
setting, but it's wet. And it's even worse if I'm making cd stickers
on stomper labels. There must be a way to get decent, dark black that
doesn't take days to dry. I'm tempted to go back to my canonsd860 and
get the print heads fixed, because that printer never had a problem
with this kodak paper. I also just ordered a huge amount of this two
sided paper so I'm not going to be happy being stuck with inferior
prints for the next 3 years.
8 answers Last reply
More about canon ip3000 takes forever

    Greetings Steve,

    Sorry you could not reach me, I did get an email from you and replied. I
    have also brought in the paper engineering team to review your need and
    comment. No, the printers are not the same. Your printer is listed as the
    ip3000, so that is the one you should use. It sounds as though you may be
    using old paper? The product we offer today is Kodak Presentation Paper and
    it should do well for you. You are right, however, that it is not on the
    list of papers found on the Kodak site. If possible we will get a more
    specific reference for that paper. More than likely the testing was not
    completed for your printer as it is still quite new.

    Talk to you soon.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    "Steve" <wheresmyprecious@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I can't seem to reply directly to the Kodak rep. I get an 'unable to
    > retrieve message'.
    >
    > On the drop down menu on the Kodak site, there is a printer called
    > 'Canon bubblejet 3000' Is this the same as the Canon pixma ip3000? I
    > can't find anything else that's close.
    >
    > Also, in the print adjustments, it list two kinds of paper, but no
    > adjustments for the 2 sided kodak paper that I use (picture paper -
    > soft gloss). Why not? I thought all papers Kodak makes would be
    > covered. I'm having a real problem getting dark black on this Kodak
    > paper. They look washed out. I'm using the 'other paper' setting at
    > highest quality. If I use 'plain paper' at highest quality, I get a
    > much darker black, but the ink is wet! If I use 'plain paper' at
    > standard setting, the ink is dry but there are ugly printer lines
    > (seams) throughout the picture because the quality is not as high.
    > I've tried all the other settings: glossy, photo glossy, matte, etc.
    > The only correct (dark) black I get is using the 'plain paper'
    > setting, but it's wet. And it's even worse if I'm making cd stickers
    > on stomper labels. There must be a way to get decent, dark black that
    > doesn't take days to dry. I'm tempted to go back to my canonsd860 and
    > get the print heads fixed, because that printer never had a problem
    > with this kodak paper. I also just ordered a huge amount of this two
    > sided paper so I'm not going to be happy being stuck with inferior
    > prints for the next 3 years.

    I tried Kodak paper with my Epson stylus 900 and canon i960. I had ink
    pooling, drying problems, and "bronzing" in dark areas. I was in contact
    with Kodak and tried their software and suggested settings. Still had less
    than satisfactory results. Another interesting observation on Kodak
    paper - I was sent a 4x6 print from a friend who uses the Kodak 4x6 printer.
    The print, when viewed in cross light, showed that the surface wasn't flat.
    Different darkness levels produced some elevation of the print surface.
    This result occurred with Kodak paper, inks, and printer. Wierd stuff. If
    you can do with matte paper try the Epson double sided matte heavy paper.
    Good images from my i960, although glossy paper images are more vivid. I
    have also used Epson glossy photo paper that is glossy on one side only but
    will print on both sides. It does have a light epson repeat logo on the
    back side, but it is barely noticeable after printing. It probably won't do
    for commercial printing, but it is more than satisfactory for most double
    sided purposes. Actually, dye based inkjet printing is not the best for
    commercial printing anyway as the images are subject to fading.

    "Steve" <wheresmyprecious@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I can't seem to reply directly to the Kodak rep. I get an 'unable to
    > retrieve message'.
    >
    > On the drop down menu on the Kodak site, there is a printer called
    > 'Canon bubblejet 3000' Is this the same as the Canon pixma ip3000? I
    > can't find anything else that's close.
    >
    > Also, in the print adjustments, it list two kinds of paper, but no
    > adjustments for the 2 sided kodak paper that I use (picture paper -
    > soft gloss). Why not? I thought all papers Kodak makes would be
    > covered. I'm having a real problem getting dark black on this Kodak
    > paper. They look washed out. I'm using the 'other paper' setting at
    > highest quality. If I use 'plain paper' at highest quality, I get a
    > much darker black, but the ink is wet! If I use 'plain paper' at
    > standard setting, the ink is dry but there are ugly printer lines
    > (seams) throughout the picture because the quality is not as high.
    > I've tried all the other settings: glossy, photo glossy, matte, etc.
    > The only correct (dark) black I get is using the 'plain paper'
    > setting, but it's wet. And it's even worse if I'm making cd stickers
    > on stomper labels. There must be a way to get decent, dark black that
    > doesn't take days to dry. I'm tempted to go back to my canonsd860 and
    > get the print heads fixed, because that printer never had a problem
    > with this kodak paper. I also just ordered a huge amount of this two
    > sided paper so I'm not going to be happy being stuck with inferior
    > prints for the next 3 years.

    My understanding is that the only Kodak paper that performs well in a
    Canon printer is something called the Ultimate or Ultma. The standard
    glossy Kodak has problems.

    I still have not tried my Ilford yet but I do expect good results.

    > My understanding is that the only Kodak paper that performs well in a
    > Canon printer is something called the Ultimate or Ultma. The standard
    > glossy Kodak has problems.
    >
    > I still have not tried my Ilford yet but I do expect good results.

    I don't even like the results of Kodak papers in Kodak printers! Kodak
    Ultima paper was a disaster in my Epson printer and I didn't like it in the
    Canon either. Why bother when you have Canon, Epson, Costco Kirkland
    (probably Ilford), Ilford, and many other papers that produce excellent
    results in your Canon printer. As I have noted in other posts, I did
    side-by-side comparisons of Canon photo pro, Epson glossy, and Kirkland
    glossy papers and settled on Kirkland for most of my printing and Epson
    glossy or heavy double sided matte for cards and other uses for which I want
    to print both sides or write on the reverse side.

    Greetings Burt,

    Actually, Burt, Kodak has gone to the trouble of obtaining just about every
    printer made by most manufacturers and tested them for the best possible
    results. This is done over a couple of months or so. They make print after
    print, fine tuning the results so they are optimized. Not every printer is
    going to be perfect and the results are based on using the manufacturers
    inks. Testing is also done on new drivers as well.

    Ultima is the best paper that Kodak makes, and will last a long time, but
    the other papers are tested as well and the results posted for you online.
    Try visiting the following URL to get the latest on your printer regardless
    of the Kodak paper used.

    http/www.kodak.com/go/onetouch

    Also, there is no printer on the Kodak site, with the identifier of "Canon
    Bubblejet 3000?" There is a reference to the Pixma iP3000. Not sure if
    they are the same, check the Canon site has the following link.

    http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=SupportDetailAct&fromWsss=yes&fcategoryid=230&modelid=7971

    Talk to you soon, Burt,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    > I tried Kodak paper with my Epson stylus 900 and canon i960. I had ink
    > pooling, drying problems, and "bronzing" in dark areas. I was in contact
    > with Kodak and tried their software and suggested settings. Still had
    less
    > than satisfactory results. Another interesting observation on Kodak
    > paper - I was sent a 4x6 print from a friend who uses the Kodak 4x6
    printer.
    > The print, when viewed in cross light, showed that the surface wasn't
    flat.
    > Different darkness levels produced some elevation of the print surface.
    > This result occurred with Kodak paper, inks, and printer. Wierd stuff.
    If
    > you can do with matte paper try the Epson double sided matte heavy paper.
    > Good images from my i960, although glossy paper images are more vivid. I
    > have also used Epson glossy photo paper that is glossy on one side only
    but
    > will print on both sides. It does have a light epson repeat logo on the
    > back side, but it is barely noticeable after printing. It probably won't
    do
    > for commercial printing, but it is more than satisfactory for most double
    > sided purposes. Actually, dye based inkjet printing is not the best for
    > commercial printing anyway as the images are subject to fading.
    >

    > >I can't seem to reply directly to the Kodak rep. I get an 'unable to
    > > retrieve message'.
    > >
    > > On the drop down menu on the Kodak site, there is a printer called
    > > 'Canon bubblejet 3000' Is this the same as the Canon pixma ip3000? I
    > > can't find anything else that's close.

    On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 09:47:52 -0800, Ron Baird wrote
    (in article <d0i3ro$t7s$1@news.kodak.com>):

    > http/www.kodak.com/go/onetouch

    Keeps taking me to Microsoft. )~:

    This is the URL for the onetouch page:

    <http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-locale=en_US&pq-path=1963>

    DaveC
    me@privacy.net
    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group

    On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 09:47:52 -0800, Ron Baird wrote
    (in article <d0i3ro$t7s$1@news.kodak.com>):

    > http/www.kodak.com/go/onetouch

    I think you mean:

    http://www.kodak.com/go/onetouch

    That works.

    DaveC
    me@privacy.net
    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group

    Greetings Dave,

    The issue is related to your system/browser. The page is a Kodak alias and
    should take you directly to the Kodak OneTouch data. You may have an ISP
    that runs ads etc. The page is indeed a Kodak link. If that does not work
    for you, try going to the home page and click on the Inkjet link to the left
    side. Follow the links from that point to find One Touch.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    "DaveC" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 09:47:52 -0800, Ron Baird wrote
    > (in article <d0i3ro$t7s$1@news.kodak.com>):
    >
    > > http/www.kodak.com/go/onetouch
    >
    > Keeps taking me to Microsoft. )~:
    >
    > This is the URL for the onetouch page:

    <http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-locale=en_US&pq-path=1963>

    > --
    > Please, no "Go Google this" replies. I wouldn't
    > ask a question here if I hadn't done that already.
    >
    > DaveC
    > me@privacy.net
    > This is an invalid return address
    > Please reply in the news group