What things should I turn off in Win 7 home?

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Hi.

I'm building a new Windows 7 machine and am just wondering if there are any tips or things I maybe should turn off (background or start-up) that may hinder performance, etc.

Also, I plan on using Comodo firewall, is this a good choice for Windows 7? I used to use the free Zone Alarm, but a few months ago switched to Comodo, it seems to work all right.

Also, I'm gonna have a 500 GB main drive, should I partition this somehow or just leave it as one big 500 gb drive? I'm gonna have a 2nd drive eventually for storage (maybe 1 or 2 tb).

What are your system specifications? Windows 7 runs fine all by itself, so don't bother trying to turn features off. You can use Comodo, but be sure to install a proper antivirus program as well (I highly recommend Microsoft Security Essentials).
As far as partitioning goes, I don't see the need. You don't really gain anything by doing it, and since you plan to add a second drive anyway, just keep the first as one partition.

Comodo is ok, but I have had to fix a few installs where it has locked out web access due to confusing prompts.

I like the new free Outpost Internet Security, light on resources.

Check out www.blackviper.com on what services you can disable to speed things up.

4745454b

Titan
I'm a partition nut. First, by putting your OS on its own 40-80GB partition, you keep the OS files on the outer edge of the disk where transfer rates are highest. Second, if you keep your data files on a second partition, you can safely format your first partition without losing your MP3 or DOC files. I have things partitioned so that I have all kinds of different things on their own partition. Music is separate from games which is separate from other media files, etc. I also use volume labels for obvious reasons.