BIOS Error - HELP PLEASE

I recently got a mother board (Foxconn 6150K8MA) (AMD 64 3500+ processor). I tried installing a hard drive (250 GB). But the computer is not able to recognice the complete capacity, and only recognized 130 GB. I know you will not get complete 250 GB, but I did not expect it to show half that. I am unable to update the bios also, the manufacturer website is not helpful either. Please let me know what I should do, while I am waiting for a response from the manufacturer. Any help is appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about bios error please
  1. You've hit the 137 Gig barrier! Here's a white paper that describes your limitation;

http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation/white_papers/big_drives_white_papers.pdf

If your new BIOS doesn't solve the issue, what you need is to set up two partitions on your drive. It should have come with installation software to do that for you, or you could download the installation utility from your hard drive manufacturer.

Alternately, you could just format your drive to the maximum 137 gig and install your OS, then come back later with a disk utility and format the remaining hard drive space as a second partition.
  2. Come to think of it... are you installing WindowsXP? If so, how recent is your copy? The original version of Windows XP did not support drives bigger than 137 Gig when you let it do it's auto format and install routine. If you can get a copy of WindowsXP with Service Pack 2, Microsoft changed that so the auto install would format a drive larger than 137 Gig.

If you have a friend who has a copy of WindowsXP with SP2, burn a copy and use it to install on your rig. You can use your own product key even if you install using a copy of his more recent version of Windows.
  3. WIN 2K does not recognize it does it?
  4. Not sure, but I don't think that it does since it came out earlier than XP...
  5. Thank you Scout. This has been a tremendous help. Appreciate your input.
    :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards BIOS Overclocking