VIVO... what is it and what can you do with it???

WOWchamp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
Dont want to sound like a noob or anything, but exactly what can you do with it.

Can you hook it up to your VCR and transcode movies into the computer through VIVO???? What type of connector would you use (its S-Video right)???

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Video in / Video Out

You can output movie content, and you can recieve video content.

With VCR in, you need to scramble protection - but I won't say much further - to take in content that is indeed protected. Unprotected content you can just recieve without any nast "tricks"

With the output, you just send what movie(media) you have to a TV or similar device. You can also run your desktop via this function

If you have the dongle, you have the choise of RCA or SVideo.

WOWchamp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
I know about the macro vision deal... I think I could even fix it myself.

Can you record straight from say your digital cable box... my adelphia box has an S-video out so could i stream and transcode that into like MPEG-2 onto my computer.

benjamin

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2004
Can you record straight from say your digital cable box... my adelphia box has an S-video out so could i stream and transcode that into like MPEG-2 onto my computer.
Yes. Easily. VIVO breakouts usually include both S-VHS and RCA composite.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Yes. Easily. VIVO breakouts usually include both S-VHS and RCA composite.

benjamin:

are those specs in your siggy really your computer?

WOWchamp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
Cool... I think i might like to do it via S-Video since I have AVIVO on my new card.

Now having AVIVO that would mean I wouldnt have to recorde the audio in seperate and match it up to the video right... it would all be done in the same file???

benjamin

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2004
are those specs in your siggy really your computer?
Yes. My current pet project... ;)

Vanilla, looks like this. It's not finished yet though, so no pictures.

edit:
Cool... I think i might like to do it via S-Video since I have AVIVO on my new card.

Now having AVIVO that would mean I wouldnt have to recorde the audio in seperate and match it up to the video right... it would all be done in the same file???
Woah there. AVIVO is ATI's trademark for the video processing present on X1k. It's an unfortunate name, since not all cards which "support AVIVO" have VIVO capability. It's ludicrous, but true. What card do you have?

And, yes, the software takes care of all the audio/video muxing, it's nae problem. Just use line out from your cable box to your line in on the computer.

WOWchamp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
I was thinking of the X1800XT 512MB, looks good to me.

This fuction or the ability to capture video is no biggie, but it is a nice little extra if it would work out how I want it to. And its a feature I would make heavy useage out of.

I have a lot of old VHS tapes I would capture via the AVIVO port on the X1800XT and make onto DVD. But meh, if I have to do audio and video seperately then fine I just dont know how well that would work with live TV.

benjamin

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2004
I was thinking of the X1800XT 512MB, looks good to me.

This fuction or the ability to capture video is no biggie, but it is a nice little extra if it would work out how I want it to. And its a feature I would make heavy useage out of.

I have a lot of old VHS tapes I would capture via the AVIVO port on the X1800XT and make onto DVD. But meh, if I have to do audio and video seperately then fine I just dont know how well that would work with live TV.
X1800XT will likely have full video in, not just the software functions. Some X1300, 1600 are "AVIVO capable" but can't physically do the capturing...

The ATI solutions work really well with live video, there is little to no lag. On NVidia, VIVO tends to be more hit and miss (the GF4 series cards I had were appalling re: both contrast & lag). Currently on an X800, the video capture is superb.