Runway selection FS NAV please help....

Last response: in Video Games
June 15, 2005 1:29:59 AM

I am running FS10 with Active Sky and Radar Contact as well as using FS
Navigator to build my flight plans with SIDS and STARS...... my question
that how do you know what runway the AI traffic is going to be taking off
and landing at so that you can set the correct ones into FS Nav. I quite
often find I have chosen the wrong runway when coming in to land and
suddenly have to abort as the AI traffic is landing from the other
direction...... Any help most appreciated....

Hamish

More about : runway selection nav

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 1:30:00 AM

Hamish wrote:

> Any help most appreciated....

First, when using real weather from a utility such as Active Sky, you
need to give the sim about 15 minutes or so of running before the AI
traffic get caught up to and use the correct runways for the real
winds, etc. Within this 15 minute window it is common to see and hear
AI aircraft approach the completely opposite runway.

Secondly, once the time has passed, the ATIS will reflect the actual
weather. I am assuming by your mention of the SIDs and STARs that you
are flying larger jets, so I will also assume you are only flying into
towered airports. All towered airports (at least in the US) have the
ATIS broadcasting on a continual loop on a discreet frequency. This
ATIS broadcast includes the weather and what runway and approach are in
use for the airport you are departing and landing.

You should be listening to the ATIS before backing away from the gate
(and before obstaining your clearance), as well as at least 50-75 miles
outside of the airport you are approaching. You can find the ATIS
frequency on approach plates (if you have them), or from the MAP view
in the sim. IIRC, FSNav also displays ATIS frequencies when you hover
over the airport.

BTW, scheduled operations (commericial jets and such) all operate under
an IFR flight plan, not a VFR flight plan. Thus, you need to create an
IFR flight plan for every flight you make. In doing so, the sim ATC
will then vector you for the appropriate approach. However, a known
limitation with the SIM ATC is that it does not take into account SIDs
and STARs for large airports.

The only realistic way to fly SIDS and STARS under ATC guidance is to
scrap the sim ATC and instead use the on-line ATC service VATSIM. I
have heard a lot of excellent reports of VATSIM, but I have personally
never used it. Someone else will be able to better advise you here.

--
Peter
June 15, 2005 1:45:40 AM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 21:29:59 +0100, "Hamish" <hamishdd@tiscali.co.uk>
brought the following to our attention:

>I am running FS10 with Active Sky and Radar Contact as well as using FS
>Navigator to build my flight plans with SIDS and STARS...... my question
>that how do you know what runway the AI traffic is going to be taking off
>and landing at so that you can set the correct ones into FS Nav. I quite
>often find I have chosen the wrong runway when coming in to land and
>suddenly have to abort as the AI traffic is landing from the other
>direction...... Any help most appreciated....
>
>Hamish

Can I comment here? not an expert.. but what seems to work is -- at
departure field.. pull down weather menu, go to local weather tab and
zoom out, arrow over, and zoom in on the destination airport. Click on
the field and the active weather `station' (lack of better term) will
display in text-string. The wind compass will show direction at field.
That's usually a good indication.. and ATC will likely be using the
LONGEST runway aligned with the wind.

Also was hoping for an addon app such as WxAnalyzer or WeatherCAD
to appear one of these days. :)

If you know FSNav pretty well.. it's possible to change the STAR while
descending into the area.. and make a smooth route change. Please
comment.. am merely dreaming all this up.. and could use some tips!!

-Gregory
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 11:35:05 AM

Hamish wrote:
> I am running FS10 with Active Sky and Radar Contact as well as using
> FS Navigator to build my flight plans with SIDS and STARS...... my
> question that how do you know what runway the AI traffic is going to
> be taking off and landing at so that you can set the correct ones
> into FS Nav. I quite often find I have chosen the wrong runway when
> coming in to land and suddenly have to abort as the AI traffic is
> landing from the other direction...... Any help most appreciated....
>
> Hamish

Where did you get FS10? Do tell :-)

--
Cheers
Quilljar

Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
http://www.livtech.co.uk
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 8:01:23 PM

news:D 8oln9$qbh$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Hamish wrote:
>> I am running FS10 with Active Sky and Radar Contact as well as using
>> FS Navigator to build my flight plans with SIDS and STARS...... my
>> question that how do you know what runway the AI traffic is going to
>> be taking off and landing at so that you can set the correct ones
>> into FS Nav. I quite often find I have chosen the wrong runway when
>> coming in to land and suddenly have to abort as the AI traffic is
>> landing from the other direction...... Any help most appreciated....
>>
>> Hamish
>
> Where did you get FS10? Do tell :-)
>
> --
> Cheers
> Quilljar

Sorry the anticipation is getting the better of me!!

!