no password to log onto computer

A company stopped paying rent and left a couple of good
computers in their office space along with furniture. I
would like to use the computers which are relatively new
with Windows XP, but the computer asks for a password. I
dont' care about any of the data currently on the
computer, don't need access to it, and would like to
erase it ideally. However, I would like to use the
software etc.. How can I achieve this?

thanks
JNAC1

Simple. Contact the owners of the computers, in this case the people who
stopped paying rent, and ask for the XP CD and do a format and install. Other
than that a legitimate site like this one is unlikely to have individuals
wishing to help you in perpetuating, or profiting from, a crime. {]:~(

somethin' just doesn't sound right here.....

---

"jnac1" <jnac1@hotmail.com>
wrote in news:641501c49344$c77e5120$a501280a@phx.gbl:
> A company stopped paying rent and left a couple of good
> computers in their office space along with furniture. I
> would like to use the computers which are relatively new
> with Windows XP, but the computer asks for a password. I
> dont' care about any of the data currently on the
> computer, don't need access to it, and would like to
> erase it ideally. However, I would like to use the
> software etc.. How can I achieve this?
>
> thanks
> JNAC1

If the unpaying renters do not want the computers, get a document from
them stating that they have gifted them to you (and be prepared to pay
the taxes on those gifts). If they abandoned them as trash, be sure to
get something written from them, or check your local laws regarding
abandoned property. If they left them to compensate for part of their
unpaid rent, be sure to account for it in refunding their damage
deposit, taxes, and the like. If you are "holding" them in lieu of
rent, you cannot use them until they release them (you'll find out in
court that you really don't own them if the owners sue for THEIR
property).

If they had retail version of Windows XP and did not leave behind the
installation CDs than YOU do *NOT* have a legal copy of Windows XP. You
have trash left behind on the drives and you MUST eradicate it all,
INCLUDING their data files, by formatting the partition(s). Then go buy
your own copy of Windows XP so YOU have a legal license for it. It it
was an OEM install (and was a pre-install copy of Windows on the
*computer* rather than purchased with "qualifying" hardware or the prior
owners left behind that qualifying hardware in those computers), the
owners abandoning the computers then means they also abandoned their
license to that OEM copy of Windows XP. If the OEM version had separate
install CDs then you need to get them from the prior owners. If they
were pre-built computers with pre-installed Windows then the restore is
probably in a hidden partition on the hard drive and you will have to
read the manual for that particular brand and model of computer since
you never divulged that information to us.

Unless you get documentation from the prior owners saying they abandoned
the computers, gifted them to you, or want their value applied against
their unpaid rent (and, in which case, the two of you will need to agree
on their value and that you would even accept the computers in lieu of
back payments), YOU do *NOT* own those computers and will have to handle
them as abandoned property. You may have to hold onto them until
whatever term your local laws require, which means you're stuck with
storing them and then trying to collect on storage costs.