Looking for a good Motherboard

n0b0dy

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
I'm currently looking at building a new gameing system and I not sure which motherboard would be the best choice for the following setup:

CPU - Athlon FX-60 I think (Not sure I want to spen a grand on a CPU)
RAM - 2GD Corsair XMS
HD - 160+GB SATA drive
Video Cards - Dual 256 Geforce 7900 (SLI)

This computer will be mostly for gameing and LAN parties. I'm not lookin so much for Overclocking, but I do want to build a rock soild system

Thanks for the Help

nilepez

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I'm currently looking at building a new gameing system and I not sure which motherboard would be the best choice for the following setup:

CPU - Athlon FX-60 I think (Not sure I want to spen a grand on a CPU)
RAM - 2GD Corsair XMS
HD - 160+GB SATA drive
Video Cards - Dual 256 Geforce 7900 (SLI)

This computer will be mostly for gameing and LAN parties. I'm not lookin so much for Overclocking, but I do want to build a rock soild system

Thanks for the Help

Does it really matter if you're not Overclocking? Even ECS boards are good if you're running CPUs at stock.

I'd also add, that buying and FX CPU is an odd choice if you're not overclocking. I believe that's teh only line of CPUS that aren't multiplier locked.

I'd probably get a fairly inexpensive board, but if you want the security of a Tier 1 board, Asus is probably a good choice....I use a DFI Lanparty, and I've been happy with it.

nilepez

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
why should he cheap out on a motherbord just because he isnt going to oc.That makes no sense what so ever.A s for a good mobo i can suggest this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131540

Because the ECS will do what he needs. I know lots of people who don't OC that use the Cheapo ECS boards that come from Frys and they never have a problem, but if you want to OC, they're completley useless.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Go with an Opteron 180 and save $300, going with a 4800+ will save you another $100 off that, and a 4600 about $80 more, but if you're considering an FX, the Opty is your next best choice.

As for motherboards, Abit and Asus are good brands to look at, as is DFI. You definately want an Nforce SLI board, probably an X32 if you're already spending what you are.

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Not a big overclocker? Then opt for the Foxconn NF4SK8AA-8EKRS. Stable and reliable with good features. You don't need to spend big bucks for an Asus or DFI if you're not overclocking. By the way, if you're checking out boards, or anything else for that matter, on newegg.com, disregard the reviews for just about everything as they as generally useless. Instead, search the net for reviews on hardware sites by people who at least know what they are doing.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Not a big overclocker? Then opt for the Foxconn NF4SK8AA-8EKRS. Stable and reliable with good features. You don't need to spend big bucks for an Asus or DFI if you're not overclocking. By the way, if you're checking out boards, or anything else for that matter, on newegg.com, disregard the reviews for just about everything as they as generally useless. Instead, search the net for reviews on hardware sites by people who at least know what they are doing.
I'd use the reviews to note potential issues, but look around on the web for pro reviews. If the same issue crops up in multiple newegg reviews, it is at least something to be aware of. Just remember it's easy to put a review up on Newegg with the wrong hardware, or having never used it.