Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need Help/Advice/Recommendations

Last response: in Components
Share
March 25, 2006 5:59:55 PM

I am buying a new tower. It comes with a power supply, etc. What I need to know is will the power supply power both of my HDs, both of my Opticals, the case fan, my video card (uses a direct connection to PSU) and the rest of the doo-dads in my system. The link to NewEgg's site is below along with my system configuration and the link the Antec's site about the included PowerSupply. I am not good in this particular area and need help.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E168111...

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=26350

My System Configuration:

(Internal)
P4 3.0E (1MB Cache)
2GB PC3200 (400MHz) Dual Channel DDR RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 XT (256MB)
Creative Audigy MP3+
D-Link AG530 Wireless Adapter
WinFast FM/TV Tuner Card
2x WD 74GB Raptors (10,000rpms)
2x Lite-On Optical Drives (1x 52x CD-RW) (1x 16x DVD+-R, DVD+-RW)
1x 120mm Case Fan (Comes With New Case)

(External)
Wireless Keyboard/Mouse Set (Microsoft)
HP 5550 Printer
Using Ethernet
Webcam

I am pretty sure that is everything. Will the case I linked to above do this system ok? Need recommendation/advice. I did read the reviews but I wanted to be sure. Feedback/help is a appreciated. Thanks!! =)

More about : advice recommendations

March 25, 2006 9:50:04 PM

I can't see the case on newegg - problem on their site atm.

However, I do have a few remarks:

1. You didn't specify which motherboard you are planning to use. As you require a socket 478 for that cpu, then the memory is correct (DDR and not DDR2)

2. 350W should be ok for that system, but if you plan to upgrade in the future, then you will most likely need to buy another psu at that time. You may be better advised getting 400W+ if it's within your budget. Good choice on the manufacturer though - Antec produce solid reliable psu's.

3. I'm guessing this isn't primarily a gaming rig, as the graphics card is somewhat dated, and will not run the latest games well. Looks more like a video/audio machine to me, especially with those hdd's - very nice :) 
March 25, 2006 10:02:37 PM

Quote:
I can't see the case on newegg - problem on their site atm.

However, I do have a few remarks:

1. You didn't specify which motherboard you are planning to use. As you require a socket 478 for that cpu, then the memory is correct (DDR and not DDR2)

2. 350W should be ok for that system, but if you plan to upgrade in the future, then you will most likely need to buy another psu at that time. You may be better advised getting 400W+ if it's within your budget. Good choice on the manufacturer though - Antec produce solid reliable psu's.

3. I'm guessing this isn't primarily a gaming rig, as the graphics card is somewhat dated, and will not run the latest games well. Looks more like a video/audio machine to me, especially with those hdd's - very nice :) 


Sorry about that. My motherboard is P4C800-E Deluxe. DDR is what my MB uses. You would be correct. I consider my machine to be a multimedia machine....just not using Media Center Edition of Windows.
Related resources
a c 158 ) Power supply
March 27, 2006 2:48:38 PM

Which case/PSU is it? We can look it up on our own...
March 27, 2006 3:42:23 PM

Quote:
Which case/PSU is it? We can look it up on our own...

The can be found at the link below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

I had actually already decided to get that case but also the Antec SmartPower 400W PSU sicne the case came with a 350W. Do you guys think I made a sound decision?
March 27, 2006 4:58:17 PM

Quote:
Which case/PSU is it? We can look it up on our own...

The can be found at the link below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

I had actually already decided to get that case but also the Antec SmartPower 400W PSU sicne the case came with a 350W. Do you guys think I made a sound decision?


If you are planning to upgrade I would recommend a TPII 550.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

and a Case without a PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=EN...

or one of these which are a lot cheaper and identical or virtually identical to Antec cases:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=EN...

Good Luck! :-D

PS If you are not planning to upgrade soon then consider this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
March 27, 2006 5:02:38 PM

Personally, I would want a 400w or higher PSU. 350w is pretty much the minimum you can get away with here. I always try to shoot a little higher than I think I'm going to need when it comes to the PSU, simply because if that component is not up to the task then the whole machine is pretty useless.

As Covered_in_bees pointed out, Antec is a good company with a good reputation and solid products. If you don't want to just outright buy a higher watt PSU "just in case," you could always use the stock one and replace it if you notice instability with the system.
March 27, 2006 5:09:53 PM

Quote:
Which case/PSU is it? We can look it up on our own...

The can be found at the link below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

I had actually already decided to get that case but also the Antec SmartPower 400W PSU sicne the case came with a 350W. Do you guys think I made a sound decision?


If you are planning to upgrade I would recommend a TPII 550.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

and a Case without a PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=EN...

or one of these which are a lot cheaper and identical or virtually identical to Antec cases:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=EN...

Good Luck! :-D

PS If you are not planning to upgrade soon then consider this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
Thanks for looking and giving me some ideas. However, their is specifics about the case I had originally pointed out that I wanted. I looked at the others as well but still want the original Antec I am purchasing. In the beginning I was looking at TP PSUs as well but decided on the SmartPower because it got good reviews and was within my price range and would work for my system.
March 27, 2006 5:12:19 PM

Quote:
Personally, I would want a 400w or higher PSU. 350w is pretty much the minimum you can get away with here. I always try to shoot a little higher than I think I'm going to need when it comes to the PSU, simply because if that component is not up to the task then the whole machine is pretty useless.

As Covered_in_bees pointed out, Antec is a good company with a good reputation and solid products. If you don't want to just outright buy a higher watt PSU "just in case," you could always use the stock one and replace it if you notice instability with the system.

My plan was to take out the 350W that came with the tower and install the 400W PSU. I will keep the 350W as backup in case the 400W fails. According to voltage calculators and other peoples' comments the 350 would run my system okay but probably be a little to close to max for my comfort and I agreed and bought the 400W. Buying that should give me that comfort zone feeling I guess. Thanks for your replies.
a c 158 ) Power supply
March 27, 2006 5:36:17 PM

Unless you needed the extra 5.25" external bay, you should have gotten the Antec Sonata II. $75 after MIR and it has the SP 450W. I've got the case - it runs beautifully and is quiet.
!