Your question

Quick question, need quick answer!

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Computer
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
March 25, 2006 7:19:07 PM

Hi, I browsed through some of the topics, most similar, but not exactly answering my question.

To make a long story short, my last computers' PSU failed and I want to move/get the data off the hard drive. Can I just plug it into a computer? It has all the Windows' files on it. If I plug it into another computer which already has Windows, which drive will it boot from? All in all, I want to browse this old Hard Drive and do some copy and pasting.

I would think that I just plug this one in, set it as Slave, and voila! Am I right? Very noobish, I know, but I just don't want to "break" another computer. Thanks!

~Ibrahim~

P.S. The topic title is meant to be taken literally, I need an answer by tonight, lol.

More about : quick question quick answer

March 25, 2006 8:08:07 PM

Yes you can just plug the drive into any computer and drag the files you need
to the new computer. The computer will boot from whatever drive you have selected in the BIOS but it will boot from the drive that was already in the computer by default. Your other option is to get a new PSU
March 25, 2006 9:12:41 PM

Thank you soo much! I'm going to put the drive in now. Thanks! I wish I could get a new PSU, but the funds are not coming thru, lol. Wasn't that bad of a comp either, 2.8GHz P4, 1GB of Memory, 120GB HD (the one I'm getting stuff from), and a good ole GeForce 4 Ti 4600.

~Ibrahim~
Related resources
March 26, 2006 12:15:03 AM

I've got it plugged in and things are working perfectly! Thank you!

~Ibrahim~
March 26, 2006 12:36:39 AM

Glad I could help :) 
!