Problem with cpu usage

earth4x

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2004
I'm having some problems with my cpu usage lately.. I don't know why..

Just by moving my mouse in my start menu items, my firefox favorites etc... my cpu usage goes way to high and it usually freezes everytime the cpu usage goes nuts..

here's a screenshot of it : CPU Usage SS

thing is, I did a clean format about 1-2 weeks ago.. can anyone tell me what's wrong? :S

earth4x

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2004
svchost.exe 17,628k
mcshield.exe 22,002k
explorer.exe 19,084k

tried closing some services, didn't change a thing.. could it be that my cpu, under high amount of temperature.. just be ready to die? it's a P4E 3ghz and I consider my case to be extremely hot at times.. and my cpu runs around 55-60 degrees celcius when i'm playing games and around 45-47 when it's idle... unless I open my case at idle times it's around 40... could the high temperature have damaged my CPU ???

35 is a lot of things to have running. Turn off things like instant messenger, and any oddball stuff, like weather update and other horsecrap.

You have no memory in that system. Add a gig.

Don't go to that site listed and start turning things off. You may end up screwing yourself.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
I don't think that would be any indication that the CPU is going bad or is bad. There is something on that machine hogging all of the CPUs resources.

Let me ask you this, i'm sure this may seem redundant but i'll ask anyway, when the machine sits there idle, do you see any activity such as, hard drive running, HDD light blinking etc. Also, what are your temps at idle when the CPU is being used like this.

What other hardware do you have installed as well. This will help us narrow it down.

KWH

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2005
YW, another suggestion, replace explorer with firefox. I also posted a site to print out a sheet of processes you can shut off in Windows. I'm on a laptop at the moment, do a search. Every little bit adds up. 8)