Sign in with
Your question

VGA GEFORCE 7800GT problems.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 25, 2006 10:51:58 PM

I've recently built a new rig(today, actualy) and I've been having some major problems with my new 7800GT.

From the moment I start up my computer, I get artifacts, and lots of them. Using windows is painful to say the least, playing the games I bought this card for, impossible. Sometimes it stays clear for a few minutes before starting up. The card is at a steady 45 degrees constantly.

Setup;

ASUS MBA A8N-VM CSM AMD S939
AMD ATHLON64 3500+
VGA GEFORCE 7800GT 256mb
Windows XP Pro SP2
(Not sure what kind of PSU I have, if anyone could tell me how to acurately read it of then I'd be grateful)

The only error-reading I ever got was a message stating that my videocard was not recieving enough power and performance was lowered to prevent damage. I've unhooked my extra HD's, DvD driver and everything else but the problem persisted. It advised to check with the manual to make sure the PCI-E card was recieving enough power but the manual gives no aid in this case.

Now, I'm handy with computers, but it doesn't go any further then fixing basic problems so if anyone can give me any help whatsoever that be great. Any questions to have, please ask, I'll try to provide the answers.

PS: My friend said that it might have been damaged in transport, could this be the problem?
March 26, 2006 12:48:54 AM

if you can't find the doc on your original system that lists things such as the psu, open your case and look.

the card you have needs a 450 watt psu ....

Minimum of a 450 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 18 Amp Amps.)

this is most certainly causing you this grief. let us know your psu. you can always put your old card back in until you get this sorted out.
March 26, 2006 11:10:52 AM

l'll check for it.

Problem being that my old card is a 9800 pro and that doesn't work with a PCI-E motherboard. Currently running on the onboard chip.

Ah here we go, 400 Watts at 12v 15 amps. I did notice that connecting my case-fan made the artifacts start up sooner so it seems like this is the problem.

Any recomendations for a good PSU? I'd like something a bit above the minimum.
Related resources
March 26, 2006 1:44:01 PM

i just purchased two of these antec's last month, and they are very stable, solid, and do their job.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

i also have used the antec smartpower 500 watt modular cabling and it is also good. the truepower is a bit higher end line from antec.

i did check these intinity's, they are not as well known, but it was a good deal at the time. it was a bit too big to fit in comfortably in these cases so i got the antec. the first one is great weekend special:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
March 26, 2006 3:01:24 PM

Unfortunatly, I can't order from the first site(seeing as I don't have a credit card and I'm not in the USA) But I'll have a look at my local stores here in Zwolle(Netherlands) if I can find something that fits these specs.

Better yet I'll take it to the small retailer I bought the rest of the rig from and see if he has anything. Never let me down so far.

I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the help!
March 26, 2006 3:18:38 PM

i understand and tigerdirect is one place i trust that also accepts paypal. but you can get your system up and running faster if you can go to that local retailer - no shipping/transit delays.

good luck :D 
March 30, 2006 10:12:57 PM

Turns out my card was defect, my PSU had a wrong sticker and is actualy made for high-end gaming machines. >.<

Thanks for the help none the less, I'll be certain to come back if I ever have another question.
March 30, 2006 10:26:53 PM

great news vesp. enjoy your rig now! :D 
!