Unstable after upgrade

clean14

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
i purchased windows vista that came with a windows 7 pro upgrade coupon so i could have an os for the time being and upgrade to 7 later. upon receiving my 7 upgrade i have had great performance increases in both games and applications but there was a problem, every time i game (and now its just started happening when im not gaming as well) i have had sporadic blue screen problems. all relating to the Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power (in event viewer it is categorized as error 41). the thing is this just started happening right after i used the upgrade disc to upgrade from vista business x64 to 7 pro x64. i have done the following troubleshooting steps, i have replaced the bridge on my SLI setup, i have checked the power supply connections inside my pc, i have looked and preformed all available driver updates. if anyone has any suggestions as to why i am having these issues with the Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power please help. thank you

my build is as follows

WD Caviar black 7200rpm 500GB HDD
asrock K10N780SLIX3-WiFi motherboard
Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz
Patriot 1066 2GB X2 ram
x2 260GTX SLI
750W corsair PSU

clean14

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
the only thing that is overclocked is one of my 260s that was overclocked by the manufacturer. other than that no, and like i said before, this has happened after the 7 upgrade

fatsauce

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
has to be some hardware problem..W7 doesn't like something in your case...try booting in safe mode and let it stand by for as long as if the problem would pop-up...i imagine you have 2x 1gb sticks or just one 2gb stick? your mobo doesn't have oboard video to see if its the card. Im not big on W7 yet but i always try to remove as much hardware if my comp can still work right. Then again it could be software issues. Possibly a flash of your bios might do somthing...Well now the ram is out of the question lol

clean14

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
i have x2 2GB sticks meaning i have a total of 4GB. i dont know what piece of hardware that could be conflicting that badly to cause me to bluescreen periodically. im my thoughts were the same about the video cards and thus i am testing them with different stress testing programs. as for the bios update, the only update available at the moment for my motherboard is an update for MAC addresses in the integrated networking card which would do nothing to fix the problem. if anyone has any more input that would be great.

fatsauce

Distinguished
May 24, 2009

When i goggled this i got multiple results for this error...its seems in recent website forums that alot of people are getting the same error your getting and the fourm always lead to no results for fixing it....well little to no results..it was unreal

clean14

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
another update: it blue screened again during game play last night. i went back to using generic windows 7 networking card drivers and noticed that the power mode on my windows 7 was set to "balanced" i changed it to "high performance" and as of yet no blue screens while in game.

fatsauce

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
so you rolled back the drivers from from your network card manufacture drivers, and went witht he W7 drivers? im interested what this windows power mode is. havent upgrade yet. Hope the BSOD dont come up.