Question Number pad keys not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

wekiwis

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
My number pad keys 1 2 3 do not work. I have 2 keyboards, and they don't work on either one, so I presume it is a problem with my Mac?

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
USB keyboards, blutooth?
Are they made for the country who's language system you're working in?

Most likely it's not your computer, perhaps you've spilled whatever onto both keyboards the same way.

wekiwis

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
Yes, both keyboards are correct for NZ. Both have been used for a couple of years. One is mine, the other I was given as a spare and haven't used, but plugged it in hoping it would solve the problem. I haven't spilled anything on mine and I think that would be too much of a coincidence for both keyboards, since all keys surrounding 1 2 3 are working fine.

pauls3743

Distinguished
I think it's more likely you've hit the NumLock (number lock) key which toggles the use of the keypad FOR EVERY KEYBOARD connected to that system.

Hit the button below F16 (it's like a crossed out rectangle) and try your number pad again.

wekiwis

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
I'm using a mac extended keyboard and don't have a number lock key. To lock the keypad, it uses the clear key, in conjunction with shift or option. That works to lock/unlock all the numbers on the numeric keypad, but doesn't change 1 2 3 which still don't work.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
It sounds like you've turned on the 'mouse keys' feature. It lets you move the mouse cursor around with your number pad and can be used in case you don't have a working mouse.

You can disable 'Mouse Keys' from: System Preferences --> Universal Access --> Mouse & Trackpad preferences.

If you're mouse goes down and you actually NEED to use the 'Mouse Keys' function, quickly hit your Option key five times in a row.

teatimeG

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
It turns out that Ubuntu thinks Mac extended keyboards have a numlock key. The key is marked "clear" (and sits below the f16 key as previously mentioned) and as I have no indicator lights for numlock I just press clear whenever the number pad behaves like it's been numlocked.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Ahh, I see. It would have helped if you mentioned you were using Ubuntu. :whistle:

I lost correct functionality with some of the function keys on my 15" Macbook Pro right after upgrading from Ubuntu 12.10 to 12.04 too.
A quick edit of the alsa-base.conf file solved my problem, fixing both the volume keys (F3, F4, F5), and the brightness keys (F9 & F10) for me.

johnsonma

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Did you try using the keyboards on a different computer just in case you hit a 1 in a billion chance of having the 1-3 keys go out on both? Also have you tried different usb slots with the keyboards, what about a different user account?

wekiwis

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
Unfortunately I don't have access to a different computer and I don't have a different user account. I have tried all 4 usb slots on my computer, and oddly one of them worked, but only momentarily. I managed to get the 123, but the next time I tried, they didn't work again. Go figure!

wekiwis

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
Sorry bsurge, I don't understand your answer. What worked for you?
For others reading my thread, I (wekiwis) have still not managed to solve the problem, so any further suggestions are welcomed.

sjn

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013

Thanks for this - I had the same problem, and that's exactly what the source was (guess I got too happy with the option key once!)

kkay4

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013

Hitting the OPTION key 5 times in succession worked for me. I was at my wits end until I came across this solution. Thanks.

Kent

ljgassaway

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013

What Microsoft says is:

Hold down :

Left alt
Left shift

Then press the
Num Lock key

Worked for me where nothing else did...my mouse keys was off, etc. This is an excel issue (not a problem) as you can enable mouse keys in excel, and disable them as well.

me1049

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
Thank kkay4!

Hitting the OPTION key 5 times in succession worked for me. I was at my wits end until I came across this solution. Thanks.

Kent
[/quotemsg]

G

oh the shift-clear is what worked when the numeric keybad didnt work when I was in excel.

In the Mac Help, it says, If your keyboard has a separate keypad but no Num Lock key, try pressing Shift-Clear.
If you’re using a portable computer, the Num Lock is a function key, marked Num Lock (F6).

If the numeric keypad still doesn’t work as you expect, you may have enabled Mouse Keys, which lets you move the pointer with the keypad.

To find the option that turns off Mouse keys, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Universal Access, and then click “Mouse & Trackpad.”

Status
Not open for further replies.