Survey Shows that Windows 7 is Still the Favorite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Vista vanilla was crap. Vista SP1 was great. SP2 was pure perfection.

Windows 7 both vanilla and SP1 redefined perfection.

Windows 8 vanilla will maybe be good. Time will tell. The Service Pack will be an interesting piece of software, if we are to believe the rumors.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]JustPosting38[/nom]XP for life![/citation]

Brother, I used to be in your boat. Windows 7 is where it's at. Trust me.

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
People who are still running XP are people with ancient hardware or people who only know to click on that IE icon on the desktop and that's understandable.
Otherwise is pure madness.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]makaveli316[/nom]People who are still running XP are people with ancient hardware or people who only know to click on that IE icon on the desktop and that's understandable.Otherwise is pure madness.[/citation]

Not sure about modern Win7 with updates, but I was able to run Win7 Beta on an old AMD machine:

Socket 939 with Opteron 180 (2.4GHZ dual core)
2GB SDRAM
9800GT for the slick graphics and animations.

The OS ran very smooth.

hannibal

Distinguished
How long the XP was the most popular.... Many many years and even after win 7, it was long time very popular. So I am not surpriced that win 7 is "still" more popular than win 8... Silly survey. Win 8 is so much different, that it may take a couple of years until people in warm up to it in big scale.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Windows 7 has been flawless for me. 0 issues whatsoever. But I'm keeping an open mind and might give W8 a shot in the future

G

I will not use windows 8, and I will most likely wait for windows 9 and Haswell! By that time, Microsoft will be fixing the Glitch/Win8 and moving on from that! Win 8 will be renamed Windows TAB, or some other terrable moniker, and the every other cadence, that microsoft is so well known for, will continue!

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
What kind of a moron would expect a not yet released product to be more popular than the current one??? This just in: People seem to prefer dying over the (yet to be released) immortality pill.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Expect this trend to continue once your avg consumor buys a pc with Windows 8 on it wants to go back to Windows 7. We can debate about Windows 8 until we are blue in the face but we pc enthusiast aren't the ones that are going to decide Windows 8 fate since we only make up a small protion of the over all market. Who will decide it is the avg consumor. If the avg consumor doesn't take well to Windows 8 then it will go the way of Vista and become another unpopular Windows OS which will prompt MS to rapidly make changes to Windows 9 to better suit the consumor much like they did to Windows 7. I think Windows 8 will be less criticzed then Windows Vista was by the avg consumor, but at the same time it will be less popular then Windows 7 by the avg consumor as well.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Until 2014. Then all support, including security patches, stop.Have fun patching your own OS.[/citation]
After 13 years of patches I'd expect that it would have reached perfection. :lol:

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]Yeah, yeah... and in 2008 WinXP was still the most popular. Blah, blah, blah.[/citation]

Thats because Windows 7 didn't come out yet and Windows Vista had a slew of problems. Unlike 'windows 7 it was praised from the get go, even when it was in Alpha. Windows 8 on the other hand has been controversial so far, much like Windows Vista was and that's not a good sing for an OS that's suppose to surpass the OS before it. MS is throwing everything except the kitchen sink do avoid Windows 8 being another PR disaster that Windows Vista had with 40 dollar upgrades and what not. Throwing cheap upgrades is one thing convincing the mass to upgrade is a whole other story.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]Not sure about modern Win7 with updates, but I was able to run Win7 Beta on an old AMD machine:Socket 939 with Opteron 180 (2.4GHZ dual core)2GB SDRAM9800GT for the slick graphics and animations.The OS ran very smooth.[/citation]
That'll run Windows 7 just fine - it runs decently smoothly on my 2.8GHz Pentium 4 with ATI 9100 graphics. (it seriously struggles on anything that requires the GPU though, but even a geforce 6200 would fix that)

Status
Not open for further replies.