300W PSU - Video card options?

burgerpimp07

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I'm wondering what would be the best video card I could get for my Hipro 300W psu, without upgrading.

Would an x800pro be pushing it?

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Depends. If you have a socket 462 mobo with a T-bird CPU then it's fine. If you have an Athlon FX-60? Your PSU is probably failing already.

What else is used on this PC? How many hdd's? DVD/CD readers/burners? Dual video or just one video? Video card by itself can run off of a 145Watt PSU, so you need to be asking if the 300W PSU has enough room LEFT for your new vid card.

ADDENDUM: No, the HiPro 300W PSU just went out on this PC I was using actually. Now, it was powering an Athlon XP 2600+ cpu with 2 hdd's and one CDRW drive. It only had a GeForce4 MX420 PCI card and it died while I tried to install Windows XP.

No, don't try an upgraded vid card...that SPECIFIC power supply sucks. Too bad I was told this after it failed! I am building it for someone else though, and they are paying me for the upgrades, so that comes from their pockets...

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Depends. If you have a socket 462 mobo with a T-bird CPU then it's fine. If you have an Athlon FX-60? Your PSU is probably failing already.

What else is used on this PC? How many hdd's? DVD/CD readers/burners? Dual video or just one video? Video card by itself can run off of a 145Watt PSU, so you need to be asking if the 300W PSU has enough room LEFT for your new vid card.

ADDENDUM: No, the HiPro 300W PSU just went out on this PC I was using actually. Now, it was powering an Athlon XP 2600+ cpu with 2 hdd's and one CDRW drive. It only had a GeForce4 MX420 PCI card and it died while I tried to install Windows XP.

No, don't try an upgraded vid card...that SPECIFIC power supply sucks. Too bad I was told this after it failed! I am building it for someone else though, and they are paying me for the upgrades, so that comes from their pockets...

So it must be a miracle that I'm running my computer with a $h!tty 300w Hipro as well. I've been having the random shutdown issues; maybe that's the problem. Antec TPII 550W for $90 is looking really good right now.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Yes. Currently I am still using an AGP card (that cra@@y video card on my signature), but have tested a cheap PCI-e vid card in it too. It was definately worth what I paid for it.