NEED HELP! New PC... NO DISPLAY SIGNAL :(

Gates

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2004
Hi,

I am attempting to build my first PC in several years. All of the parts are brand new, no upgrading. I just got through assembling and connecting everything together. When I go to hit the Power Button....

BAM! NOTHING!!!

The 2 case fans, the CPU fan, and the fan on the videocard are all running. The LED on the motherboard is lit up, indicating power. The DVD/CD ROM drive has power. But I have NO DISPLAY. My monitor just displays "No Signal Input".

I doublechecked that everything was properly seated. I even remove and reattached the motherboard. Still nothing. So I made a visit to ASUS FAQ website, and read that I should reset the CMOS. Did that and still NO DISPLAY.

I even installed an older harddrive with Windows XP installed and still nothing. I also noticed that the lights on the keyboard dont even flicker when I start up the PC.

Can someone PLEASE tell me what might be the problem? I would hate to have to take my project to a local PC shop and have to pay them to fix this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Here's a listing of the hardware that I bought:

CoolerMaster Cavalier midtower case w/ 350W PSU
AMD Athlon 3700+ processor
ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard (the standard one, not the Deluxe or Premium)
eVGA 6800GS videocard
Corsair TWINX 1024 PC3200 DDR memory
Seagate SATAII 160GB HD
LiteOn DVD/CD-ROM drive

myerz

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
i had this same problem about 6 months ago when i was building a computer......the cpu ended up being DOA :( Sorry for the bad news but that is what it sounds like to me considering you have tried everything else. Also, i would consider using at least a 400w psu because the 6800GS requires a 350w PSU MINIMUM. If the cpu is DOA and wasnt damaged when you installed it, they should replace it no problem. I ordered mine from newegg and notified them that it was DOA....they sent me a new one about 2 weeks later. Good luck, hope i was somewhat helpful :)

Is the "aux cpu" supplemental pwr header connected on mainboard? (a very common oversight!) heatsink securely seated/locked down?

Does 6800S have it supplemental pwr input connected? (might be either a PCI-e pwr conector, or require a a standard molex adapter , depending on your PSU)

Hear any type of POST beeps at all?

("PSU insufficient" is another possibility; I'd personally feel better with a 450 watt quality unit)

Try a single stick of mem (alternately) in an approved "single stick" slot....

We can't rule out the mainboard being DOA until we have known good power, good mem, and cpu...

Gates

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2004
Thanks guys so far for all your comments/suggestions.

To answer some of your questions:

Is the "aux cpu" supplemental pwr header connected on mainboard? (a very common oversight!) heatsink securely seated/locked down? YES

Does 6800S have it supplemental pwr input connected? (might be either a PCI-e pwr conector, or require a a standard molex adapter , depending on your PSU) YES

Hear any type of POST beeps at all? Nope, PC doesnt make any sounds.

I agree with you all as well about the PSU. I'm just using the 350W now because it came with the case. I thought that by using minimal drives that it still may work sufficiently. I have also may sure that the videocard was secured fitted.

And the monitor is fine. I've tested it out on another PC.

Propain666

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
Hi,

I am attempting to build my first PC in several years. All of the parts are brand new, no upgrading. I just got through assembling and connecting everything together. When I go to hit the Power Button....

BAM! NOTHING!!!

The 2 case fans, the CPU fan, and the fan on the videocard are all running. The LED on the motherboard is lit up, indicating power. The DVD/CD ROM drive has power. But I have NO DISPLAY. My monitor just displays "No Signal Input".

I doublechecked that everything was properly seated. I even remove and reattached the motherboard. Still nothing. So I made a visit to ASUS FAQ website, and read that I should reset the CMOS. Did that and still NO DISPLAY.

I even installed an older harddrive with Windows XP installed and still nothing. I also noticed that the lights on the keyboard dont even flicker when I start up the PC.

Can someone PLEASE tell me what might be the problem? I would hate to have to take my project to a local PC shop and have to pay them to fix this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Here's a listing of the hardware that I bought:

CoolerMaster Cavalier midtower case w/ 350W PSU
AMD Athlon 3700+ processor
ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard (the standard one, not the Deluxe or Premium)
eVGA 6800GS videocard
Corsair TWINX 1024 PC3200 DDR memory
Seagate SATAII 160GB HD
LiteOn DVD/CD-ROM drive

See my post about my new build.

I think its the mobo. If it was anything else you would be getting post error beeps.

Gates

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2004
Yes, the case came with a built-in speaker. No beeps. So you think it might be the motherboard then?

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
i think i know whats wrong

if u have dual channel memory it wont sometimes boot on asus boards

u have to take out the ram and put in one stick of ram

like Pc 2100 or some cheapo ram

i had to do that in order to install windows , once i got everything running i put the dual channel ram in and it worked

its a very known problem

8O

i have that exact same board to , and that same Ram

its the Ram , im very very shure

also when u put the one stick of ram in
put it in the second blue slot -named the B1 slot

DDay629

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Why would this happen right when he's playing a game though? I mean, how could RAM do that? I can see a mobo failure or a PSU burning out, but not RAM. Right?

DDay

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
uhh i dont think he was playing a game if he cant even Post ...

The motherboard has to detect the Ram and the Twinx is complecated

some people boot fine and some dont

the same shit happen to me

but i put in some older ram and it Posted fine ...

it pays to have experience

computers r soo Emo

-its the Ram :?

You might also try completely removing the PCI-e videdo altogether, in which case the mobo should beep constantly with a code indicating no video adapter....(the loss of the 85 watt peak power draw might help you post and point to the PSU)

I'd find a 500 watt PS before thinking of mainboard too seriously...

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Bad RAM has caused similar problems in the past but it could be any of the 4 following components: (CPU, Motherboard, Video, RAM)

What I would do is the following:

Remove the motherboard and put it on your desk. Install the CPU, one stick of RAM and video card. Attach monitor and PSU and try to boot it. If the bios dosen’t post then try changing the RAM stick (I’m assuming that that is a package of 2 ram sticks).

If still no result then you will need a friend with a pcie video card and a socket 939 processor. Try each item one by one till you find out which is the culprit. If all fails try installing your components in another motherboard.

Good luck

p.s. Are you sure you have mounted the Motherboard correctly? I once fixed a computer where the motherboard was directly fixed to the panel (no risers were used)

Gates

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2004
i think i know whats wrong

if u have dual channel memory it wont sometimes boot on asus boards

u have to take out the ram and put in one stick of ram

like Pc 2100 or some cheapo ram

i had to do that in order to install windows , once i got everything running i put the dual channel ram in and it worked

its a very known problem

8O

i have that exact same board to , and that same Ram

its the Ram , im very very shure

also when u put the one stick of ram in
put it in the second blue slot -named the B1 slot

AND THE WINNNER IS!!!.....

Thanks everyone for all your help and support. This memory thingy was the problem. I took some memory out of another PC, installed it into my PC, got everything to run, and installed Windows. Afterwards, I stuck one of Memory Sticks back in and the PC worked. Then I stuck the other Memory Stick back in, and the PC still worked.

Needless to say, I am VERY HAPPY that I dont have to replace anything. :lol:

Thanks again everyone!!!! :p

gbt111

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Same problem, BUT:

Installed same mobo, RAM, psu, and AGP card in new case with a valid processor upgrade - result...no signal.
Reseated card; checked cabling, used another monitor, no help.
Replaced new processor with old, no help.
Removed RAM stick and replaced one at a time, no help.

I was very careful to ground, etc. I've built 8 machines before with no trouble.

HELP

GB