Very strange POST problem..

ssh2004

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2004
I bought this:

AMD 3200+ 64 bit CPU
1gb Crucial DDR 400 memory
A8V-MX motherboard

I connected this to my existing 160gb Barracuda Seagate HD and my CDWriter and DVD Drive.

The computer boots up ok. However, whenever i reset the machine or reboot through windows, the system doesnt POST. No beep. The CD Drives light up for a couple of seconds and then nothing. Nothing appears on the screen either. If i power down my PC and then switch it on again, it boots up ok. So the problem only seems to happen when i restart the machine. If its a cold boot (machine is off and then switched on) it works ok! Strange eh?

I tried removing some components i.e. cd drives, used 1 stick of memory etc. but nothing.

The only thing i can think it might be is my power supply. I am using a 400w Q-Tec power supply which has a 20 pin motherboard connector. My motherboard wants a 24 pin connector. I checked the motherboard manual and it said you can use a 20 pin connector as long as it is at least 15a on the +12v. My PSU is 16a. All the fans and lights are all working and there is no indication there might be not enough power. I am going to buy a 20 pin to 24 pin convertor to see if it makes any difference. If it doesnt i dont know what to do. I dont want to spend money on a new power supply if it doesnt solve the problem. Any ideas why this might happen? I looked around and cant find anyone who reports this same problem?

Propain666

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
Sounds like a PSU.

Sounds like an under volt or an over volt problem

Do like I just did, go buy what you need to fix troubleshoot your problem than return what you dont need.

JavanBuddhi

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
This sometimes happens. When the computer boots, listen closely, and check if you get a click instead of the usual beep. This indicated a memory problem for me. However I suppose it could be a PSU problem. Try different RAM modules, and post back! :eek:

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
20 to 24 pin converters are for fools. :p

As you've read you can just plug in the 20 pin PSU to 24 pin plug when offset to one side.

Double check the ATX12V (2x2) is plugged in near the CPU VRMs. (Not in the spare 2x2 plugs on the 24 pin plug).

But yeah, it'll be PSU or Mainboard, possibly driver, related.

ssh2004

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2004
yep the 2x2 connector is plugged in the correct spot on the motherboard.

I have a v770 32mb Viper graphics card and wondering if that could be responsible. It worked fine on my old machine though.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
For boards with 24-pin ATX power plugs, I recommend PSUs with 24-pin connnectors.

Using a 20 to 24 pin converter is not really that much different than just plugging it into the (offset to one side) 20 pins.

I'd suggest trying a more modern PSU on the board. However such problems could be caused by a number of other things.

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
i had this problem once and it turned out to be a faulty video card...i don`t know whether this is your case.......sametimes it just refused to boot...unplugged ..and then it was ok...
it was a athlon2200+ xp, acorp kt333, and fx5200.......after changing the video card with a ati 9600 pro it all went ok................
i hope my experience helps you

I had that problem on a o/c Socket7 CPU. However since yours is stock, you may want to try this:
- change the mobo: sometimes the BIOS chip can behave differently depending if it's hot or cold on load (I experienced it once with hot-swapping BIOS chips with same BIOS binary).
- change the PSU: yours could be undervolted. You can also try plugging it in a different socket, one that is properly grounded.

ssh2004

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2004
problem solved! it was the graphics card. the mobo comes with an onboard graphics and i think it was conflicting with the graphics card. i took the graphics card out and the machine worked fine.

thanks to all who replied!