BFG 6800GS OC AGP problems

robshardware

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I have purchased the BFG 6800GS OC for my older agp based system. The mobo is a abit bd7-ii RAID. Based on the intel 845E chipset.
It doubled my score compared to my ati9700 pro in 3d mark but does so with massive artifacting there and in games.
I have flashed my BIOS up to the latest version. My mobo runs agp at 4X and is v2.0 complient. The psu is an enermax 431 watter with the correct or exceeding ampage on each rail (bfg mention 18 amps on the 12v rail- my psu does about 40 amps)
I have used several drivers, always starting with the 82.12 which are recomended for this model of card. I have even tryed a totally fresh install of windows with bios/chipset/graphics drivers all bang up to date.
Regardless i still recieve massive corruption and this is the second card i have had off them (i have sent it back once - but i recieved no worksheet on the replacement so i do not know if it is a new one or the original)
Has anyone experianced a similer problem?
Has anyone got any advice for me?
(besides try it on another system which is next on my 'to-do list'.
All opinions are very welcomed!

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your post title says "OC"... are you trying to overclock the card? Will it run at stock speeds without the problems? If not, you probably have a defective card. Validate that by trying it in another rig (as you plan to) and if it does it there, ya gotta send it back and have 'em replace the card this time!

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Might want to check your temps when running games.

I know I didn't like my 6800GS stock cooling by BFG. I'm using the Zalman VF700 kit on it.

The stock HSF was getting temps over 72C+ and I do have good airflow. I didn't really have that much atifacting, unless I unlocked the pipes which I ended up relocking.

robshardware

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
OC - it comes overclocked out of the box.
Temp is fine its running at 33 with a surrounding temp of 29.
I had already checked that, forgot to inc it in original post.
I really have tryed a lot of things to try and get it going. I even tryed taking unesscary devices out of the machine to up the power available (which by the spec of my psu was not nessercary.)

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Errrr.. 33(CPU Temp?).. 29(Case temp?) :?: :?: :?:

Those temps don't look like the Video cards core temp, and ambient temp.

My card with the Zalman is running 47C idle, 52-53C moderate games, and up to 57-59C benchmarks...

6800GS-temp.jpg

robshardware

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I have many case fans.
And the side off. If the gpu is reporting the temp wrong thats a diff matter.
Iddle it runs at about 33-35 degree's

robshardware

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
My bad temp is 45-49.
i Picked 33 at the drop of a hat cuz i didnt wanna stick the card back in. Looking at my e-mail 45-49
Which should still be fine.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I have many case fans.
And the side off. If the gpu is reporting the temp wrong thats a diff matter.
Iddle it runs at about 33-35 degree's

My bad temp is 45-49.
i Picked 33 at the drop of a hat cuz i didnt wanna stick the card back in. Looking at my e-mail 45-49
Which should still be fine.

Looking... at your email? Your system emailing.. temps? J/K!!

LOL... I have 2 front intake fans, 2 exhaust fans, 2 PSU fans (bottom, rear), 1 side fan, 1 slot fan, 92mm fan zalman (gpu), and 120mm fan (cpu). I'm also on an i845PE chipset w/X4 AGP slot.

When I 1st had the card, I was getting 59C idle. Moderate gaming it was hitting 63-70C, stock cooling. When I started benchmarking/OC'ing more, when the temps did reach 70C+ I remember blob artifacts on the nature demo from 3dmark 2003. I know the benchmarks did more of a heavy load on the GPU.

So, that is where I was thinking heat had to do with my problem, and stopped it from happing with the Zalman VF700. If your card is running cool, might be best to RMA it, if it is artifacting, and you didn't unlock the extra pixel pipes.

robshardware

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Thanks for takeing the time to make suggestions all.
For better or worse i hope to reach a conclusion in the next 14 days which i will post back to this forum for continuity if nothing else.
This whole experiance has been somewhat disconcerning. 144 pounds on a new graphics card...to upgrade a system, which on paper at least is completely compatable.
Such is the upgrader's way i suppose.