A 'GoTo' message at boot time ~ what is it for?

Each and every time XP-Home is either restarted or cold-booted, there is a
message:

"Please go to the Control Panel to install and configure system components".

(This msg has appeared since XP was installed.)

I click OK; the window closes and things proceed normally.

Machine and apps see to all work fine.

What is this message telling me? How do I get rid of it.

Regards,
Wayne

Hi

See if the following link helps:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=Please+go+to+the+Control+Panel+to+install+and+configure+system+components&btnG=Search

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Wayne G. Dengel" <wgd.roaming@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Each and every time XP-Home is either restarted or cold-booted, there is a
> message:
>
> "Please go to the Control Panel to install and configure system
> components".
>
> (This msg has appeared since XP was installed.)
>
> I click OK; the window closes and things proceed normally.
>
> Machine and apps see to all work fine.
>
> What is this message telling me? How do I get rid of it.
>
> Regards,
> Wayne

Will:

I respectfully submit, the noted link takes us to a number of companies who
want to sell something.

Is this Microsoft's answer to a "problem" that goes back to the time of
install?

Regards,
Wayne

> Hi
>
> See if the following link helps:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=Please+go+to+the+Control+Panel+to+install+and+configure+system+components&btnG=Search

> --
>
> Will Denny
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Wayne G. Dengel" <wgd.roaming@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > Each and every time XP-Home is either restarted or cold-booted, there is
> > message:
> >
> > "Please go to the Control Panel to install and configure system
> > components".
> >
> > (This msg has appeared since XP was installed.)
> >
> > I click OK; the window closes and things proceed normally.
> >
> > Machine and apps see to all work fine.
> >
> > What is this message telling me? How do I get rid of it.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Wayne

bottom-posted:
> Will:
>
> I respectfully submit, the noted link takes us to a number of companies
who
> want to sell something.
>
> Is this Microsoft's answer to a "problem" that goes back to the time of
> install?
>
> Regards,
> Wayne

> > Hi
> >
> > See if the following link helps:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=Please+go+to+the+Control+Panel+to+install+and+configure+system+components&btnG=Search

> > --
> >
> > Will Denny
> > MVP - Windows Shell/User
> > Please reply to the News Groups
> >

> > "Wayne G. Dengel" <wgd.roaming@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > > Each and every time XP-Home is either restarted or cold-booted, there
is
> > > message:
> > >
> > > "Please go to the Control Panel to install and configure system
> > > components".
> > >
> > > (This msg has appeared since XP was installed.)
> > >
> > > I click OK; the window closes and things proceed normally.
> > >
> > > Machine and apps see to all work fine.
> > >
> > > What is this message telling me? How do I get rid of it.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Wayne
I hunted through the posts and finally found one that pointed to existence
of a file called autorun.inf in the root of C: The respondent reported that
renaming the file eliminated the problem. good luck. mt

Hi

The link should take you to Google Groups, where you may find a solution to
your problem.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"Wayne G. Dengel" <wgd.roaming@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Will:
>
> I respectfully submit, the noted link takes us to a number of companies
> who
> want to sell something.
>
> Is this Microsoft's answer to a "problem" that goes back to the time of
> install?
>
> Regards,
> Wayne

>> Hi
>>
>> See if the following link helps:
>>

> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=Please+go+to+the+Control+Panel+to+install+and+configure+system+components&btnG=Search
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Wayne G. Dengel" <wgd.roaming@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> > Each and every time XP-Home is either restarted or cold-booted, there
>> > is
>> > message:
>> >
>> > "Please go to the Control Panel to install and configure system
>> > components".
>> >
>> > (This msg has appeared since XP was installed.)
>> >
>> > I click OK; the window closes and things proceed normally.
>> >
>> > Machine and apps see to all work fine.
>> >
>> > What is this message telling me? How do I get rid of it.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Wayne

Will:

The Google Groups link provided takes us,those with this annoying problem,
to a long list of msgs, just like mine, with solutions being "buy me". Is
this MS's way of helping us solve this problem, one that appeared
immediately at time of install?

Respectfully,
Wayne

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 19:51:43 GMT, Wayne G. Dengel wrote:

> Will:
>
> The Google Groups link provided takes us,those with this annoying problem,
> to a long list of msgs, just like mine, with solutions being "buy me". Is
> this MS's way of helping us solve this problem, one that appeared
> immediately at time of install?
>
> Respectfully,
> Wayne

Read more of the discussion threads. I didn't see any that suggested buying
something but may have missed those. Instead I found threads where the
cause of the problem varied. Examples: On one system it was a damaged
Office installation that needed repairing. An interesting one, uncovered an
autorun.inf file in the root of C: (file should not be there, delete it).

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Hi

Google has nothing to do with Microsoft. I can't see where the problem is.
If you don't want to use Google Groups, then you'll have to wait until
someone in the NGs solves your problem for you.

--

> Will:
>
> The Google Groups link provided takes us,those with this annoying problem,
> to a long list of msgs, just like mine, with solutions being "buy me". Is
> this MS's way of helping us solve this problem, one that appeared
> immediately at time of install?
>
> Respectfully,
> Wayne

>> Hi
>>
>> The link should take you to Google Groups, where you may find a solution
>> your problem.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Wayne G. Dengel" <wgd.roaming@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> > Will:
>> >
>> > I respectfully submit, the noted link takes us to a number of companies
>> > who
>> > want to sell something.
>> >
>> > Is this Microsoft's answer to a "problem" that goes back to the time of
>> > install?
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Wayne
>> >

>> > "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message

> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=Please+go+to+the+Control+Panel+to+install+and+configure+system+components&btnG=Search

Mr. Denny:

The problem is not just mine, but for many. Went to Google Groups - no
reasonable solution short of buying something. We all know that MS has
nothing to do w/Google. Of course. Therefore it makes even more sense for
MS to understand the problem since MANY of us are experiencing it and it
'appears' not to be virus-driven.

Tell me, if you will, how come so many of us are seeing this annoyance
particularly after installing XP??

Best Regards,
Wayne

> Hi
>
> Google has nothing to do with Microsoft. I can't see where the problem
is.
> If you don't want to use Google Groups, then you'll have to wait until
> someone in the NGs solves your problem for you.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Wayne G. Dengel" <wgd.roaming@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > Will:
> >
> > The Google Groups link provided takes us,those with this annoying
problem,
> > to a long list of msgs, just like mine, with solutions being "buy me".
Is
> > this MS's way of helping us solve this problem, one that appeared
> > immediately at time of install?
> >
> > Respectfully,
> > Wayne
> >

> > "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> The link should take you to Google Groups, where you may find a
solution
> >> your problem.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Will Denny
> >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
> >> Please reply to the News Groups
> >>

> >> "Wayne G. Dengel" <wgd.roaming@verizon.net> wrote in message

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=Please+go+to+the+Control+Panel+to+install+and+configure+system+components&btnG=Search

Ms. Sharon F:

Thank you for the courtesy of your input.

I do see msgs, upon opening a few, about a 'buy me'. Maybe I am blind, so
to speak - a bit nuts down here (Sarasota, FL where we are experiencing
weekly hurricanes - another one is on its way due here next weekend! one
three weeks ago, one this weekend and one on the way - like weekly snow
storms I recall in NJ). I will acknowledge that. At the same time, how
come there are many who experience this same problem?? From what you say,
suggest, there may be a number of reasons why this error msg appears. Thus
maybe not so easy to get rid of short of installing all from scratch.

The message, as you know, is just that, an annoyance and does not seem to
inhibit proper operation. Therefore, there is not just one solution to
wipe out the annoyance?

Kind Regards,
Wayne

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 00:49:12 GMT, Wayne G. Dengel wrote:

> At the same time, how
> come there are many who experience this same problem?? From what you say,
> suggest, there may be a number of reasons why this error msg appears. Thus
> maybe not so easy to get rid of short of installing all from scratch.
>
> The message, as you know, is just that, an annoyance and does not seem to
> inhibit proper operation. Therefore, there is not just one solution to
> wipe out the annoyance?

In the threads that I found, the message was not coming directly from
Windows.

In one instance, it was coming from programs installed into Windows (Office
programs) that needed attention. Probably a portion of an Office program
that was configured to load at startup but could not due to missing files
or incomplete settings.

Since the message occurs at every startup, this would be a logical area to
look at a little closer. Try using Start> Run> MSCONFIG and disable all
startup programs. Then restart. If the message is gone, re-enable one
startup item. Restart. Repeat until you get the message again. The last
item added before the error message appears, is the one that needs
repairing/reinstalling.

I see from your other post that you have checked for an autorun.inf.
Autorun are typically used on CDs and contain an execute command that
initiates a setup program. On occasion, an *.inf file is copied to the root
of C: and cannot autorun. This is not as common now as it once was but it
still happens now and then. No need to rename the one that you found for
Roxio. You only need to concern yourself with any that are in the root
folder of the boot drive.

For example, if your system boots from C: (most common), that is where you
need to look. Not in the subfolders - just in the loose files that show up
when C: is highlighted in Windows Explorer. You may want to set Folder
Options to show hidden files just in case there is a hidden autorun.inf
file in this location. If found, delete.

Another thing to check would be Event Viewer. Start> Run> eventvwr.msc will
bring up this tool. Check the Application and the System branches for a
more detailed message about the startup problem. Double click any item to
bring up a window with more details about each event. Perhaps a file name
will be mentioned in one of these descriptions that will help you to narrow
your search for the cause.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

MT:

Thank You for your valued input. Found one instance of autorun.inf in a
Roxio application, EasyCreator. Changed from .inf to .xxx. Problem did
not go away. This is becoming a mini-challenge!

Appreciative,
Wayne

"Moshup Trail" <nobody@but.me> wrote in message
> bottom-posted:
> "Wayne G. Dengel" <wgd.roaming@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > Will:
> >
> > I respectfully submit, the noted link takes us to a number of companies
> who
> > want to sell something.
> >
> > Is this Microsoft's answer to a "problem" that goes back to the time of
> > install?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Wayne
> >

> > "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > See if the following link helps:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=Please+go+to+the+Control+Panel+to+install+and+configure+system+components&btnG=Search

> > > --
> > >
> > > Will Denny
> > > MVP - Windows Shell/User
> > > Please reply to the News Groups
> > >

> > > "Wayne G. Dengel" <wgd.roaming@verizon.net> wrote in message
> is

> I hunted through the posts and finally found one that pointed to existence
> of a file called autorun.inf in the root of C: The respondent reported
that
> renaming the file eliminated the problem. good luck. mt

Sharon:

Thank You for taking the time to reply.

Note Mr. Candy's reply. This newsgroup has some professionals, probably
many, as are you. Then there is Mr. Candy, far less than professional.

BTW, thanks for explaining the autorun.inf situation. One respondent was
gracious enough to provide an input that worked for him at one time.

Regards,
Wayne

> On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 00:49:12 GMT, Wayne G. Dengel wrote:
>
> > At the same time, how
> > come there are many who experience this same problem?? From what you
say,
> > suggest, there may be a number of reasons why this error msg appears.
Thus
> > maybe not so easy to get rid of short of installing all from scratch.
> >
> > The message, as you know, is just that, an annoyance and does not seem
> > inhibit proper operation. Therefore, there is not just one solution to
> > wipe out the annoyance?
>
> In the threads that I found, the message was not coming directly from
> Windows.
>
> In one instance, it was coming from programs installed into Windows
(Office
> programs) that needed attention. Probably a portion of an Office program
> that was configured to load at startup but could not due to missing files
> or incomplete settings.
>
> Since the message occurs at every startup, this would be a logical area to
> look at a little closer. Try using Start> Run> MSCONFIG and disable all
> startup programs. Then restart. If the message is gone, re-enable one
> startup item. Restart. Repeat until you get the message again. The last
> item added before the error message appears, is the one that needs
> repairing/reinstalling.
>
> I see from your other post that you have checked for an autorun.inf.
> Autorun are typically used on CDs and contain an execute command that
> initiates a setup program. On occasion, an *.inf file is copied to the
root
> of C: and cannot autorun. This is not as common now as it once was but it
> still happens now and then. No need to rename the one that you found for
> Roxio. You only need to concern yourself with any that are in the root
> folder of the boot drive.
>
> For example, if your system boots from C: (most common), that is where you
> need to look. Not in the subfolders - just in the loose files that show up
> when C: is highlighted in Windows Explorer. You may want to set Folder
> Options to show hidden files just in case there is a hidden autorun.inf
> file in this location. If found, delete.
>
> Another thing to check would be Event Viewer. Start> Run> eventvwr.msc
will
> bring up this tool. Check the Application and the System branches for a
> more detailed message about the startup problem. Double click any item to
> bring up a window with more details about each event. Perhaps a file name
> will be mentioned in one of these descriptions that will help you to
narrow
> your search for the cause.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Only with people who lie like you.

War on the Pachyderms Terrorists
http://www.counterpunch.org/wilson09012004.html
"Wayne G. Dengel" <wgd.roaming@verizon.net> wrote in message news:Zb__c.5428$vI2.2736@trnddc02...
> [...]
> > Roxio. You only need to concern yourself with any that are in the root
> > folder of the boot drive.
> >
> > For example, if your system boots from C: (most common), that is where you
> > need to look. Not in the subfolders - just in the loose files that show up
> > when C: is highlighted in Windows Explorer. You may want to set Folder
> > Options to show hidden files just in case there is a hidden autorun.inf
> > file in this location. If found, delete.
> >
> > Another thing to check would be Event Viewer. Start> Run> eventvwr.msc
> will
> > bring up this tool. Check the Application and the System branches for a
> > more detailed message about the startup problem. Double click any item to
> > bring up a window with more details about each event. Perhaps a file name
> > will be mentioned in one of these descriptions that will help you to

TRENDING THREADS