My first build need help! :D

lejonet

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Hi everyone
I will use the computer most for gaming and maybe some 3D working.
But i too want a system that should be "cheap" to upgrade in the end of the year. Becouse I´ve ran through these forums a couple of times and read about the new processor series (Intel: Conroe AMD: am2?) that will be released in the end of the year(?). And i´ve also read about that there is going to be a new series of graphic cards. I got a budget on 1500$ and to not blow it i need all the help i can get. :wink:
I´ve never OCing before and I´m not sure if I´m (ready to fry my computer yet) going to start either.

Anyway here is the system I´ve come up with:

Case : Cooler Master Centurion 531

PSU : Antec Truepower II 550W

Motherboard (mobo?): Asus P5WD2-E Premium

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core 930 3.0ghz

Alt. CPU Heatsink: I may start OC later any recomendations?

Memory: Corsair 6400 Pro DDR2 2gb

Hard Disk: WDR 74gb 10000rpm

Graphic Card: Geforce 7900GT

The reason i choose intel is becouse when conroe is realesed i dont need to uppgrade my memory and motherboard. I´ve also been thinking back and forth if i realy need the intel pentium DC 930 if I´m only going to have until the release of conroe(+ a couple of months until all buggs is fixed). And I´ve also been thinking about the graphics card that i maybe can last the year with a cheaper one?

Ohh... As you can see I´ve only blown the budget lol..

#EDIT# Added PSU

"The reason i choose intel is becouse when conroe is realesed i dont need to uppgrade my memory and motherboard."

This is rather a large gamble, although understandeable based on Conroe's preliminary performance figures; unless Asus has recently and absolutely confirmed their particular 975x board variant will support Conroe's required voltage, I'd be reluctant to asume it will, as there are bound to be different revisions of the mainboards in circulation as Conroe's launch grows nearer, where the latter versions' VRM selections absolutley supply the correct core voltage to Conroe procesors...

Before investing $200+ dollars on a mainboard, and whatever amount a 930 costs, I'd consider waiting just a few more months if at all possible

Yes, FEAR is very fun, but...wait! (JMO!)

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Hi everyone
I will use the computer most for gaming and maybe some 3D working.
But i too want a system that should be "cheap" to upgrade in the end of the year. Becouse I´ve ran through these forums a couple of times and read about the new processor series (Intel: Conroe AMD: am2?) that will be released in the end of the year(?). And i´ve also read about that there is going to be a new series of graphic cards. I got a budget on 1500$ and to not blow it i need all the help i can get. :wink:
I´ve never OCing before and I´m not sure if I´m (ready to fry my computer yet) going to start either.

Anyway here is the system I´ve come up with:

Case : Cooler Master Centurion 531

PSU : I´ve read much about that the PSU is a very important part of the computer and I would be really glad if you can recomend a good one. :p

Motherboard (mobo?): Asus P5WD2-E Premium

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core 930 3.0ghz

Alt. CPU Heatsink: I may start OC later any recomendations?

Memory: Corsair 6400 Pro DDR2 2gb

Hard Disk: WDR 74gb 10000rpm

Graphic Card: Geforce 7900GT

The reason i choose intel is becouse when conroe is realesed i dont need to uppgrade my memory and motherboard. I´ve also been thinking back and forth if i realy need the intel pentium DC 930 if I´m only going to have until the release of conroe(+ a couple of months until all buggs is fixed). And I´ve also been thinking about the graphics card that i maybe can last the year with a cheaper one?

Ohh... As you can see I´ve only blown the budget lol..

Few thoughts:

1) Intel has basically said Conroe will be a different pinout and require entirely new motherboards to operate. So that won't help you very much.

2) AMD rocks Intel for gaming hard core. Some games its a 2:1 FPS advantage for AMD.

3) Current AMD dual core CPUs smack the Pentium D around (read any site including Toms).

So with all of that said, I think your better option is to go ahead and get an S939 AMD system now. Then you want have to worry about upgrading. :)

As for the PSU: Antec Truepower II 550W.. its around $95. That will take care of you.

CPU: Opteron 165 with 2GB of Corsair/OCZ XMS/Gold RAM

lejonet

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Hmm.. I think I´ll build a system now and upgrade it later.. Becouse then i can have fun now and much more fun later on :p

I´ve heard that the Opteron should be "easy" to OC and now when you tell me that AMD is much better for gaming. I have started to considering to follow the "dark path" :p I got much OC homework and researching to do. But then if i´m going to OC the opteron i cant run it with the standard heatsink right? Is it maybe something like this i need?

Zalman CNPS9500LED Ultra Quiet CPU Heatpipe Cooler

And I also need a OC friendly motherboard too right? I´ve searched a bit and came up with this one.

DFI UT Ultra D

But I also found some reviews that said that the motherboards heatsink was badly placed. They said that if you got a "long" graphic card it would "touch"(cant find the right word :p) the heatsink.
I wonder if there is someone who could verify this and if i should worry about it. Dont be afraid to come up with diffrent ideas about the motherboard.
I also wonder if you could give me a linkt to the memories you recomended. :D Thx!

Thx to both of you :D

Akifuddin

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Better idea, since you're going to upgrade at the end of the year, get a cheap gaming system that you can keep until then so that you can save more money for your future-ultimate gaming system (Conroe/AM2) Try this:

AMD Athlon64 3200+ (About $154.00)
1GB Corsair ValueSelect RAM ($66.00)
Asus A8N-E ($92.99)
eVGA 6600GT ($135.00)
Thermaltake 430W Power supply ($40.00)
Cheap mid-tower case ($50.00-)
SONY DVD-ROM ($30.00-)
SONY Floppy drive ($9.99)
250GB 7,200RPM hard drive ($53.00)

Altogether it's about $631 and it's good enough to keep until the end of the year. If you choose to buy this instead of a high-end system for s939 (Which I think you should) then you save $900 that can be spent towards your future AM2/Conroe system. That $900 can mean 2 high-end cards in a crossfire/SLi setup or a high-end CPU or a 15,000RPM drive or 4/8GB of Corsair XMS memory or something else that can highly increase your gaming speed and gameplay experience. I highly recommend getting the $600 system while other people might think that you should waste $1,500 on an s939 (Which I repeat, is a waste of money) which could be saved towards your future system. Good luck! :trophy:

P.S: The $600 system is also s939 but it's not high-end so you spend less. It's an amazing bang-for-buck system.