pc gaming on Normal 32" TV

tabrayz

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Hi im a n00b, im trying to play WoW on my TV its not LCD i have connected it using a S-Video to Scart converter becuase the tv is old, i get it to work but the quality is shit, it only works good for divx and xvid video playback, the rest of the time the quality is shit i can barly see the text on the desktop.
is there way of making the quality better, becuase ive seen pc games been played on large tv's before with perfect quality.
btw i have a radeon 9800 pro

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
CRT screens are mostly pretty bad as far as hi-res (i.e. computer monitor-resolution) is concerned. Also, the refresh rate is often lower on some TVs (in the UK at least).

Games like Flight Sim work quite well on TVs, but to 'properly' game (particularly games with text) you need a newer, higher resolution flat-panel TV - preferably Hi Def!!!

GherkinPekul

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
Resolution on regular old tube tvs is really limited( 480 x 440 according to one site). WoW is probably at least twice that resolution. That is why it looks ass-like. I did the same thing. My desktop is 1152x 864, and when I'm websurfing, it is impossible to read on the tv.

mjdranzer

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
tv are not good for using as a computer monitor they have very low refreshrates. try getting a 19" CRT monitor ifyou're in for gaming or even for normal use

Hi im a n00b, im trying to play WoW on my TV its not LCD i have connected it using a S-Video to Scart converter becuase the tv is old, i get it to work but the quality is ****, it only works good for divx and xvid video playback, the rest of the time the quality is **** i can barly see the text on the desktop.
is there way of making the quality better, becuase ive seen pc games been played on large tv's before with perfect quality.
btw i have a radeon 9800 pro

What you are realizing is the limitations of a regular TV. Most TV's will give you a usable desktop of 800x600 and some will go as high as 1024x768 but as you've noted the desktop is hard to see and use. Converting the S-video to RCA greatly affects quality, and if the TV does not support S-Video In, then you're options are limited. The Radeon Control Panel does offer some sharpness and refresh adjustments, you can try adjusting those for a clearer picture, also can try adjusting the icon size and text style on the desktop thru the windows display properties. But other than that, the there really isn't too much else you can do, except get a better TV or get a monitor to play your games on.

Good luck!

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
welcome to useing a standard TV Signal

problem is the limitation of the NTSC or PAL formats that regular TV's are designed to use.

your video card is trying to dumb down the picture to fit into the standard... fine things like that are completely lost because text is fine and the resolutions are usually higher than the standard 240 some od lines of interlaced image