Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

I upgraded from 98se to xp home using the upgrade disc.
Did not install the full edition. I am getting a new
computer. Can i use the xp upgrade disc to load xp,
without having to load 98se first?

"Chuck" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I upgraded from 98se to xp home using the upgrade disc.
>Did not install the full edition. I am getting a new
>computer. Can i use the xp upgrade disc to load xp,
>without having to load 98se first?

Yes. But you need the Windows 98 SE CD during the installation.

--
(tm)

complicated is the process?

MAYBE

If the Windows 98SE was an OEM version, Chuck's license wouldn't be legaly
transferable to the new machine, and therefore the new computer wouldn't
have a qualifying OS to upgrade. Chuck might be obligated to get at an OEM
or Full version of Windows XP with the new computer.

"Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message
> "Chuck" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I upgraded from 98se to xp home using the upgrade disc.
> >Did not install the full edition. I am getting a new
> >computer. Can i use the xp upgrade disc to load xp,
> >without having to load 98se first?
>
> Yes. But you need the Windows 98 SE CD during the installation.
>
> --
> (tm)

"Chuck" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I upgraded from 98se to xp home using the upgrade disc.
>Did not install the full edition. I am getting a new
>computer. Can i use the xp upgrade disc to load xp,
>without having to load 98se first?

Your XP Upgrade license is for a single computer so if you install it
on the new machine you will have to remove it from the old one.

You can do a "clean install" with the XP Upgrade. At one point during
the install you will be asked to insert the disk from a qualifying
product (earlier version of Windows) to prove your eligibility to use
the upgrade version. This just takes a few seconds.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

>>I do have the Windows 98 SE CD and book. How
>complicated is the process?

Not much. You will be prompted for to insert the CD. Do so and after
that the Windows XP installation will proceed.

--
(tm)