AMD 3.5+ (2.20ghz)
Corsair twinx 1024-3200 DDR400mhz SDRAM 2x512mb
MSI 6600gt 128 PCI-E
Maxtor sata 160mb
PSU 400w
XP sp2
X45

Mobo onboard sound.

Last night the sound worked OK, this morning not a dicky bird.

Relinstalled latest drivers, and tried everything else to no avail.

These are the drivers in System Hardware. The first four in their properties the "Hardware usage" is grayed out, whilst the rest can be selected on or off. All show "working properly" :-

audio codecs
Legacy audio drivers
"-" Video Capture devices
Media control devices

MPU-401 Comp. Midi devices
Nvidia(R) nforce(TM) audio Codec Interface
Unimodem audio device.

The Volume control in the R/H bottom corner of the screen does not show up, BUT when I click on it in the Programs>Assessories>Entertainment, an error shows saying ""....no active mixer devices available, install from Add Hardware...."

obeewaan

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I have similar problem with same mobo.
Just built it, sound works but it doesnt work right.
When I play some sound(in WMP), it sounds that its playing at the wrong bit rate.
I updated BIOS thru internet but that didnt help.

I ll keep reading stuff and update again.

hytek9

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
BUMP !!!

I have been working on this same issue ALL morning !!!

I am having the EXACT same issue, with the same board. Sound worked fine up until 2 days ago, I am using Logitech X-230 speakers (2.1 setup) with on-board ALC850 sound -- Some troubleshooting steps I have taken already:

1) Checked BIOS (made sure AC97 enabled) = still no sound

2) Checked AC97 software settings: 1st in Device manager, 2nd in ASUS provided taskbar utility: settings looked good here, Digital output only, recognizes this as a powered stereo speaker setup, "connector sensing" software in this utility sees this as right hardware in the right port (Line Out/Green) = still no sound

3) Re-installed the Realtek ALC850 drivers off my motherboard's driver CD = still no sound

4) Swapped out the speakers with my set of Sennheiser headphones = still no sound

5) Read through the manual, thinking there might be some kind of information on setting in there, and makes no mention to anything outside of the basic BIOS setting or the ASUS AV Rack utility on software settings *Was hoping some kind of jumper setting on board to put audio through the rear* (even though I have not messed with this in the past) = still no sound

6) Checked Audio options in XP, made sure all volumes were adjusted 3/4 way up, and was not on mute -- also checked keyboard (Logitech G15) to make sure a "mute" button wasn't accidently pushed somehow = still no sound

Only thing I recently changed (software-wise) is I switched from Norton Antivirus '05 to Windows Live One Care yesterday.
Windows One Care downloaded a SATA RAID driver from windows update, and installed (automatically) Now I have a "virtual" SCSI drive under my "DVD/CD Drives in Device Manager" which I have "disabled" but sound doesn't/didn't work before disabling this.
**Not sure this is even relevant, but figured I would mention it**

Only thing hardware-wise recently, was swapping my gear from previous case into a new case (Lian Li 65-B and the rear 3 pin 80mm exhaust fan is plugged into the 3 pin mobo power right beside the onboard audio jumpers) Also, upgraded to a (7900GTX) from 2x (6600 GT's, SLi) -- FYI, using the stock 1011 rev. BIOS on motherboard
**Once again, not sure this is relevant, but just mentioning it**

All I can say is, I am about to loose it. I am going to watch a movie now, need a break - hopefully someone will respond.. ANY ideas at this point would be appreciated! :cry: