Dual Monitor Question.....

Last response: in Video Games
June 15, 2005 8:00:38 PM

I have just received my second 17" Sony TFT today which I primarily want to
use for flightsimming. I regularly use the Level D sim and PMDG 737. I want
to undock the overhead panel, FMC and pedestal. I succesfully connected them
together with the computer and changed the settings on my NView to
horizontal desktop. When I am in windowed mode I can move the panels across
to my 2nd monitor but as soon as I change the view back to full screen the
main cockpit gets stretched over the two monitors???? Do I have to continue
with the windowed mode or is there a way round this......

Thanks

Hamish

More about : dual monitor question

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 8:00:39 PM

>I have just received my second 17" Sony TFT today which I primarily want to
>use for flightsimming. I regularly use the Level D sim and PMDG 737. I want
>to undock the overhead panel, FMC and pedestal. I succesfully connected them
>together with the computer and changed the settings on my NView to
>horizontal desktop. When I am in windowed mode I can move the panels across
>to my 2nd monitor but as soon as I change the view back to full screen the
>main cockpit gets stretched over the two monitors???? Do I have to continue
>with the windowed mode or is there a way round this......

If you want to use FS in full-screen mode you need to set up the
monitors as two different screens, not one large desktop, full screen
means of course the full desktop width...

===
Best Regards
Katy
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 8:00:39 PM

Hamish wrote:
> I have just received my second 17" Sony TFT today which I primarily
> want to use for flightsimming. I regularly use the Level D sim and
> PMDG 737. I want to undock the overhead panel, FMC and pedestal. I
> succesfully connected them together with the computer and changed the
> settings on my NView to horizontal desktop. When I am in windowed
> mode I can move the panels across to my 2nd monitor but as soon as I
> change the view back to full screen the main cockpit gets stretched
> over the two monitors???? Do I have to continue with the windowed
> mode or is there a way round this......
> Thanks
>
> Hamish

You can go into VC mode which seems to work OK with two monitors. But there
is also a new freeware utility which will keep the panel the size you resize
it to. With the mouse go to the edge of the panel and pull it in to the
width of one monitor. The util to save it like this is by David Gray and is
called FS 2004 Panel Layout Saver version 1.3. He emailed it to me, so I do
not know if it is downloadable from a well-known site yet.

--
Cheers
Quilljar

Try 'Living With Technology' magazine it tells you all about monitors
http://www.livtech.co.uk
June 15, 2005 8:00:39 PM

I haven't posted it on any site yet, as I'm still awaiting more
feedback. Hamish (or anyone else), if you'd like to try it please let
me know and I'll email it to you.

David.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 1:46:22 AM

"KP" == "Katy Pluta" writes:

KP> If you want to use FS in full-screen mode you need to set up the
KP> monitors as two different screens, not one large desktop, full
KP> screen means of course the full desktop width...
KP>
KP> ===
KP> Best Regards
KP> Katy

Katy,

I am about to have this exact "problem" soon.

Although I replied to someone else saying "how" to do this with a
third monitor, I was guessing that he already had this sus'ed.

I don't.

I can't quite understand what you mean in your explination.

Mind trying again for my sake?

--
========
Thanks.....

Jarod
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 1:53:01 PM

>KP> If you want to use FS in full-screen mode you need to set up the
>KP> monitors as two different screens, not one large desktop, full
>KP> screen means of course the full desktop width...
>KP>
>KP> ===
>KP> Best Regards
>KP> Katy
>
>Katy,
>
>I am about to have this exact "problem" soon.
>
>Although I replied to someone else saying "how" to do this with a
>third monitor, I was guessing that he already had this sus'ed.
>
>I don't.
>
>I can't quite understand what you mean in your explination.
>
>Mind trying again for my sake?

Sure :-) Re-reading it this morning I was wondering what I was
saying...

Check the display properties in FS, this is where you tell it the full
screen resolution, if it copied the desktop one it will stretch on the
full desktop, that is two monitors.

If desktop is set to 2048*768 and full screen mode the same you get
the cockpit view stretched on both monitors, if desktop is set to 2
times 1024*768 the first monitor will show a full screen view of
1024*768 and the secondary monitor will (*should*) stay with the
undocked instruments. That might depend on the video drivers and cards
too.

===
Best Regards
Katy
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 3:26:24 PM

"Katy Pluta" <katypluta@hotmail.invalid> wrote in message
> If you want to use FS in full-screen mode you need to set up the
> monitors as two different screens, not one large desktop, full screen
> means of course the full desktop width...

I have mine configured as one large desktop and it works ok when I switch
them to full screen in FS2004. What I have to do though is when I'm in
windowed mode, move all my panels that I want on the second screen over to
it and put them all in the top left corner. Only after I've switched to
full screen can I arrange and size them on the second monitor where I want.
I don't know the reason for sure, but I wondered whether it's because it
goes through an intermediate step of full-screen at 640x480 before resizing
the resolution, and anything that goes over the dimensions it puts back in
the main screen.

Si
June 17, 2005 8:21:32 AM

Katy Pluta wrote:

>>Mind trying again for my sake?
>

> Sure :-) Re-reading it this morning I was wondering what I was
> saying...
>
> Check the display properties in FS, this is where you tell it the full
> screen resolution, if it copied the desktop one it will stretch on the
> full desktop, that is two monitors.
>
> If desktop is set to 2048*768 and full screen mode the same you get
> the cockpit view stretched on both monitors, if desktop is set to 2
> times 1024*768 the first monitor will show a full screen view of
> 1024*768 and the secondary monitor will (*should*) stay with the
> undocked instruments. That might depend on the video drivers and cards
> too.
>
> ===
> Best Regards
> Katy

I have to ask. I realize that using 2048 X 768 only stretches the
forward view across 2 monitors. So I see no more at 2048 x 768 than I do
at 1024 x 768. I cannot figure out how to get a wider view using 2
monitors. I know it's probably simple, but I haven't figured it out yet.

--

(Smiling) boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
June 17, 2005 11:34:26 AM

"b" == "boB" writes:

b> I have to ask. I realize that using 2048 X 768 only stretches the
b> forward view across 2 monitors. So I see no more at 2048 x 768
b> than I do at 1024 x 768. I cannot figure out how to get a wider
b> view using 2 monitors. I know it's probably simple, but I haven't
b> figured it out yet.

I would guess un-zoom a bit.

ie: Go to 50% zoom instead of 100%.

That way your view angle would be wider and so go towards what you
may want.

Good luck!

--
========
Thanks.....

Jarod
June 17, 2005 1:01:38 PM

Jarod (the puppy) wrote:

> I would guess un-zoom a bit.
>
> ie: Go to 50% zoom instead of 100%.
>
> That way your view angle would be wider and so go towards what you
> may want.

Thanks Jarod. I thought so as well but when changing the Zoom level
with known objects on the edge of each screen did not show any more
terrain at the different zooms.

--

(Smiling) boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
June 17, 2005 2:05:17 PM

"b" == "boB" writes:

b> Jarod (the puppy) wrote:
b>
b> >
b> > I would guess un-zoom a bit.
b> >
b> > ie: Go to 50% zoom instead of 100%.
b> >
b> > That way your view angle would be wider and so go towards what
b> > you may want.
b> >
b>
b> Thanks Jarod. I thought so as well but when changing the Zoom
b> level with known objects on the edge of each screen did not show
b> any more terrain at the different zooms.

Sounds to me like "zoom" is a mis-noma.

It would seem that it may only change the angle not the actual view.

But I shall give it a go when I get a chance.

Stay tuned.

--
========
Thanks.....

Jarod
June 18, 2005 1:08:24 AM

boB wrote:
> Thanks Jarod. I thought so as well but when changing the Zoom level
> with known objects on the edge of each screen did not show any more
> terrain at the different zooms.

treboR,
www.cox-internet.com/tazman/zoom.jpg
Here's a comparison shot of view from cockpit, .75X, .50X, and .31X, using
the plus/minus keys.
Notice the field view changes dramaticaly with each, referencing known
objects on each edge of the screen.
Exactly what are you punching to change your field of view???
Did you lose your towel again, and Gabr....... oh, never mind..............
d:->))
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 4:30:48 AM

"b" == "boB" writes:

b> Jarod (the puppy) wrote:
b>
b> >
b> > I would guess un-zoom a bit.
b> >
b> > ie: Go to 50% zoom instead of 100%.
b> >
b> > That way your view angle would be wider and so go towards what
b> > you may want.
b> >
b>
b> Thanks Jarod. I thought so as well but when changing the Zoom
b> level with known objects on the edge of each screen did not show
b> any more terrain at the different zooms.

Well, I did what I meant to say and it did have the desired results
which would give what you want.

So, I can't say what is going on.

--
========
Thanks.....

Jarod
June 18, 2005 10:38:14 AM

CRaSH wrote:
> boB wrote:
>
>>Thanks Jarod. I thought so as well but when changing the Zoom level
>>with known objects on the edge of each screen did not show any more
>>terrain at the different zooms.
>

> treboR,
> www.cox-internet.com/tazman/zoom.jpg
> Here's a comparison shot of view from cockpit, .75X, .50X, and .31X, using
> the plus/minus keys.
> Notice the field view changes dramaticaly with each, referencing known
> objects on each edge of the screen.
> Exactly what are you punching to change your field of view???
> Did you lose your towel again, and Gabr....... oh, never mind..............
> d:->))

Of course it does. :)  And Gabri....... never mind... :)  That wasn't
my question. I usually fly at 75% zoom. If I fly with one monitor in
1024 X 768 I can see a certain view angle. Then when I span 2 monitors,
still at 75% zoom, at 2048 X 768, all I get is the same view, but it's
stretched across the 2 monitors. I want the two monitors show a wider
viewing area but can't figure it out. Of course I can window the
forward view on one monitor and create another window with a different
view (eg 45 deg left or right, or 90 deg left or right.) and drag it to
the second monitor but this way the horizon does not stay aligned and in
a turn everything is off center.

--

(Smiling) boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
June 18, 2005 11:07:38 AM

What the heck do you want? A real plane?
This is a £50 simulator we are talking about here guys. Not a NASA budget
Sheeez :-)

Quilljar

see http://client.webshots.com/album/194691959rhDQFi
Do not reply personally, all such emails go into my spam filter
June 18, 2005 12:00:27 PM

Quilljar wrote:
> What the heck do you want? A real plane?
> This is a £50 simulator we are talking about here guys. Not a NASA budget
> Sheeez :-)
>

> Quilljar

Sure.... Sitting there with your wide angle 3 screens setup while we
peons try to stretch things across two.

Speaking of stretching, I have a dilemma. One of the reputable
"enhancement" web pages say:

Platinum Package: 65 Patches reg $259.95, Now $199.95! Free shipping and
free exercise manual included!

Now, I can get the GOLD package of 50 enlarging patches for $100.00 but
the free exercise manual is not included. But shipping is free.

So many decisions.....

--

(Smiling) boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
June 18, 2005 12:01:19 PM

boB wrote:
> Now, I can get the GOLD package of 50 enlarging patches for $100.00
> but the free exercise manual is not included. But shipping is free.

What are you enlarging, and why do you need a manual to exercise it?
d:->))
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 1:45:46 PM

Peons eh? I like it:-)

I always thought my three screens showed more of the scenery because
although it is stretched across all three, the picture is not distorted or
stretched in itself. See what I mean?
Do I take it that with your two mons, the picture of the scenery is
distorted? I know my panel is distorted but I can drag its particular window
and put that right. The view outside appears as wide as ... a very wide
thing...

Quilljar
see http://client.webshots.com/album/194691959rhDQFi
Do not reply personally, all such emails go into my spam filter
June 18, 2005 8:13:13 PM

"boB"
>"reputable enhancement"

"reputable enhancement" is an oxymoron.