Fungalberry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
How difficult would it be to build a laptop? Some of those that I've seen on the market are hugely expensive, while the mobile AMD CPUs and other computer bits seem relatively inexpensive. Would it be easy/possible to upgrade a prebuilt laptop? Please tell me what you think.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Genearly, parts aren't sold seperately. The closest you can get are companies that build more customizable laptops, but you can customize most high end laptops as well.

They're expensive because they need the extra work of miniaturization, designing the case, the LCD's unique needs, heat concerns, power efficiency issues, and additional onboard capabilities. Not too mention that you also need a fairly expensive battery to come with it.

If you're just looking for a portable computer for browsing and DVDs, you can find systems on Tigerdirect.com for under $800 that will work. If you're looking for something a bit higher end, you can find deals out there if you look, but you're likely going to have to pay.

jimytheassassin

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
laptop DIY guide I don't personally see much point in building yourself. It's possible, might even save you a buck or two, but not exactly practical. One day it will be, but today it's not like the flexibility in building a desktop. Too many propriatary standards still, though gpu's are finally looking up.