The Low-Down on Dellienware: Finally, a sensible opinion!

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Trolls, Fanboys, and ignorant alike:

Read this article and get edumicated.

The Low-Down on Dellienware

-mpjesse

That's just another article in the same mindset as anybody else who said the merger was crap, he just happens to be on the other side of the fence.

"For one, despite the "Willthey/Won'they?" speculation in recent weeks, the move itself makes perfect sense in an "it's inevitable" sort of way. Dell - the company and the personality behind it - has been desperate to push itself in the consumer end of the business, in which they've not been doing quite as well as expected. Dell has an image and a mindshare problem with gamers, and the obvious way to sort this out is simply to buy someone for whom the coin is flipped the opposite way."

- That's another way to say "I am trying to act neutral after calling everybody newbs and idiots because I had to get my message across or I couldn't go to sleep tonight". He's doing the same thing everybody now is doing with Conroe/AM2, saying "Just wait for it to come" and "Competition is good for the consumers" when in reality, their minds are saying "F*ck the competition, they suck!". Everybody is trying to be neutral now or sound "cool" to appease themselves and others, nobody is speaking their true selves anymore and rather trying to be "popular", but meh...that's how the world goes round...

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Well written, interesting article. One interesting possibility would be if Dell put the XPS in direct competition with Alienware with the XPS using Intel and Alienware AMD. First, it could lead to some interesting machines. Second, every time one or the other put out something new, or AMD or Intel for that matter, fanboys would be lighting up Forums giving Dell incredible exposure to the people who are their most likely their customers, who the author refers to as the “tech-literate audience”. Obviously someone buys these high-end machines and this is whom Dell cares about not those that build their own machines. To me it’s interesting that the computer industry seems to be going in the direction the auto industry has gone, buying companies that already have a presence in the market segment that want to compete in. This is what Gateway did with E Machines.

mpjesse

Splendid
Everybody is trying to be neutral now or sound "cool" to appease themselves and others, nobody is speaking their true selves anymore and rather trying to be "popular", but meh...that's how the world goes round...

Would it really be too much a stretch to suggest he's merely being sensible? The majority of the posts I've seen on the topic (in here) have all been doomsayer in nature.

"Dell is gonna butcher Alienware... OMG?!@!! FU*CK DELL!!!"

"Alienware sold out. They suck. No we're gonna get crappy Dell machines with the Alienware logo on it."

"RIP Alienware- so much for a great enthusiast brand."

These are the common beliefs among many users on these boards. I'm merely trying to educate all the n00bs out there with an opinion article that was actually well written and thought out. Did you miss the part where he actually spoke with the VP of Marketting at Alienware? Funny... I don't see anyone else bothering to call Dell or Alienware for a comment or Q&A session.

I happened to come to the same conclusion Aaron did weeks ago and replied to a thread in here about it. My opinion on the matter has been well documented before this acquisiton was annouced.

And I'm NOT posting this thread simply because Aaron's opinions happen to be in line with mine.

-mpjesse

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
*The following is my psycho-analysis of you based on that post, take no offence please*

Okay...now there can be a few reasons why you posted that, could be insecurity of yourself because you have to get your thoughts out to be safe and sound with yourself. It could be that you must show affection or get acceptance from others (maybe Aaron or somebody/people on these forums) and that helps you sleep at night. You might have posted that because you were out of rage or anger because somebody lambasted your friend or somebody that spoke like you. You might be angry at me for posting my thoughts on the matter or because I don't coincide with your beliefs.

Now, one could say the same I said about me, as the rest, because there is no way to be neutral. There is Black and White, there is no gray area, so no matter what you or anybody says (including me and Aaron) one must take a side to his liking or to help himself/herself feel better.

That is my take on the situation, I can get a better feel for who somebody is if I shake their hand, but since that's impossible I have to stick to posts. Again, don't take offence to that, just something I felt like typing that might spark some conversation.

mpjesse

Splendid
For the record, I wasn't "angry" with you. It was a simple frikin reply. You're the one who turned it into something ridiculous with your claims that I might be "insecure."

Whatever man. I'm too tired to deal with ur "psycho-analysis" of me. I'm going to bed.

BTW, Here's the thread I was refering to.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
For the record, I wasn't "angry" with you. It was a simple frikin reply. You're the one who turned it into something ridiculous with your claims that I might be "insecure."

Whatever man. I'm too tired to deal with ur "psycho-analysis" of me. I'm going to bed.

BTW, Here's the thread I was refering to.

I said it was done as non-insulting and not to be taken really seriously or to heart, sheesh :roll:.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Well disregard then.

OK, I finished up my banking and now I'm really going to bed. I suggest you do the same. Haven't you work to do in the morning? ;-)

It's 1:26am and I have to leave @ 6:30am and I haven't slept yet...I should be going to bed but there's a sweet movie on TNT right now, not sure the name but it has J-Lo in it, SO IT MUST BE GOOD! lol.

I like Dell's small PCs designs, they're inexpensive and small. They look nice. I like Alienware cases and engineering. They score high on benchmarks (they should play games relatively well, too).

Apart from an image-only need, Dell buying Alienware means one of these:

- both brands will keep operating as usual: they don't really use the same hardware or require the same technical skills and after a while Alienware will be Dell's enthusiast sub-brand,
- Dell strips out of Alienware all that made the brand successful: managers get kicked out, engineers leave, customers will just switch (to Martianware, created by those same laid off managers and disgruntled engineers :p),
- Alienware manages to conquer most of the consumer-related product lines from Dell, and even trickle down into the graphics workstation product lines.

If Alienware goes out, there are dozens of good enthusiast-minded small companies out to replace it. And enthusiasts won't ever stop building their own rigs...

Storm in a tea-cup

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Breath in. Breath out. Everybody, all together now...

That's another way to say "I am trying to act neutral after calling everybody newbs and idiots because I had to get my message across or I couldn't go to sleep tonight". He's doing the same thing everybody now is doing with Conroe/AM2, saying "Just wait for it to come" and "Competition is good for the consumers" when in reality, their minds are saying "F*ck the competition, they suck!". Everybody is trying to be neutral now or sound "cool" to appease themselves and others, nobody is speaking their true selves anymore and rather trying to be "popular", but meh...that's how the world goes round...
I'm actually pretty ambivalent on the topic of Dell buying Alienware. I don't care where my machine comes from so long as it does what I need it to do for the price I want to pay. I use a Dell XPS as my personal gaming machine because I got a good deal on it, and while you can't OC it is an extremely capable rig. I'm not hopping about shouting "Dell roxx0rz" or vice versa with this deal or anybodies machines - I won't lose any sleep over it, nor debates about AMD vs Intel, AMD and Dell or anything like that. Nor do I particularly care what anyone else thinks - I'm the same chap who turned around a while back and pissed all over the gaming press from which I come, let's not forget. It's not a bragging point mind you, but since you mention the need to please everyone in the known universe...

One interesting possibility would be if Dell put the XPS in direct competition with Alienware with the XPS using Intel and Alienware AMD.
I would think that to be a possibility, although Alienware will continue to use both Intel and AMD the parallel would be obvious.

*The following is my psycho-analysis of you based on that post, take no offence please*
Chaps, the discussion is not about one another. Address the issue on hand or consider spending your time in a more productive manner.

If Alienware goes out, there are dozens of good enthusiast-minded small companies out to replace it. And enthusiasts won't ever stop building their own rigs...
Yep, hit the nail on the head. As I said in the article, if Dell does eat up Alienware whole then the customers of Alienware will just move on. In business there rarely remains a vacuum.

k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
My opinion on this is that Alienware will be treated like car manufacturers that have been bought. Ford owns Jaguar and Aston Martin, yet they retain some independence. My guess is that Dell, knowing of the bias against them, will treat Alienware in a similiar manner. All in all this is a nonevent for many computer enthusiasts, and for those that it matters, I doubt that much will change from Pre-Delienware.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Even though Dell may have bias against them, we also have to remember that Intel has a new lineup coming out. If the performance ratio is as high as what we saw at the IDF, I think that will certainly change things for Dell.

As I've always said in the past, the average consumer knows little about what makes a computer tick other than the Dell and Intel inside names. Once Intel releases Conroe, the gaming market IMO, will change. Even if Conroe doesn't fully live up to its expectations, I believe people will still buy it because it's a new product and, it's radically different from the Prescott series that of which, everybody bashes to death.