AMD X2 vs 939 Dual Core Opty

DestroyerOfSenses

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
I am mainly interested in the difference between the X2's and the 939 dual core Opterons

Any opinions anyone????

Are the Opties easier to OC or do they have higher performance?
If so is there any presentable reason as to why?

Whats best at gaming? Multitasking? Video Editing/rendering?

Any info would be appreciated.

RichPLS

Champion
The Opteron is designed for the Server market, and thus is higher quality designed for 24/7 usage and high data traffic, and as a result has a slightly lower voltage for operation, but other than that is essentially the same as its 2MB cache X2 counterparts of same speed.
Performance stock is same, but has the potential to overclock a bit higher and cooler than the X2's.
Basically, it is the Cadilac (premium) of the AMD chips.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Rich is right. I have the 165 and I do basically everything on it. I game alot on it, I record music with it (musician) and I do alot of photography and video editing with it.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Rich is right. I have the 165 and I do basically everything on it. I game alot on it, I record music with it (musician) and I do alot of photography and video editing with it.

I play (acoustic) guitar (albeit very badly) and I'd like to get into recording digital music. What do you play?

ThunderGodThor

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
The opty is made better thats why they perform better. Cpu-z sees them as toledo core. Wether that is and error or they really are who knows but that places the 165 in with the best of the X2's the 4400/4800. Also not uncommon for the 165 to get up to FX-60 speeds tho the 170 will do it easyer and better.