Sign in with
Your question

do i need a new modem

Last response: in Networking
June 6, 2003 1:19:13 AM

hello, i recently built a system using windows xp and i used an off brand modem.Windows says it not supported by its sighning thingy but i installed the drivers for it anyway.when i try to connect to the internet the modem makes all the noises but makes them kind of off what they should sound like, and it doesnt connect,it just frezes on one of the sounds.do i need to buy a new modem or what.i would appreciate any help
thanx
P.S.- i know modems suck but i cant aford dsl or anything better.

centigrade

More about : modem

June 11, 2003 4:25:22 AM

More than likely- spend a few dollars more and get a newer modem. Sounds like there is a compatability issue. If you want to stress trying to make that card work- try looking at the website to see if there is any updated drivers and loading those- or re-loading the original drivers you have.

<font color=blue>/Next time there is a war in Europe- the loser gets stuck with France this time.</font color=blue> Support your troops!!!!
June 12, 2003 6:08:45 PM

i suppose it could be a compatibility problem, but most of the time if you can get to the screeching point it works fine. have you connected to the internet on that line before?

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>
Related resources
June 16, 2003 12:31:53 PM

With old modems working under Windows 2000 / XP, you may also want to change the transmit / receive buffers to be lower. You'll find it under the modem properties somewhere - try setting it a third of the way up the bar (instead of full).

This may help.
June 20, 2003 8:30:38 AM

Which Windows are you running, What modem is the one having trouble? If you have another computer or could get your hands on one, go download the lastest driver for the modem, see if it helps.
!