Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need a CPU suggestion please

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 26, 2006 10:57:26 PM

Going to buy a new notebook computer, and will be going to the dark side and getting a Pentium CPU. The thing is, I know little about Pentiums as I have always gone the AMD path.

Can someone help me pick a CPU? I am looking for the best "bang for the buck". I want good performance and low cost. I will be doing some mild gaming (will have the geforce GO 7800GTX).

Do I want PentiumM? Which one? Pentium4? Which one?

Thanks in advance!

More about : cpu suggestion

March 26, 2006 11:01:34 PM

IMO the best is Intels Core Duo
March 26, 2006 11:06:48 PM

Well, if your going to get anything with the 7800GTX on it, your going to pay more of a premium for it.

I would recommend a Dell core duo, Inspiron 9400 series. When I bought my 9300 (last years model) I went into their outlet and found mine which was reconditioned but, it's just like brand new with a full warranty and I only paid 973 bucks for mine. It doesn't have the 7800GTX, instead, it has ATI X300 which games fairly well but I don't really game on it.

I would look at Dell anyway as they are probably going to have the best bang for your buck. Dell laptops are very good machines. Don't let anybody tell you different. :wink:
Related resources
March 26, 2006 11:41:54 PM

Quote:
Going to buy a new notebook computer, and will be going to the dark side and getting a Pentium CPU. The thing is, I know little about Pentiums as I have always gone the AMD path.

Can someone help me pick a CPU? I am looking for the best "bang for the buck". I want good performance and low cost. I will be doing some mild gaming (will have the geforce GO 7800GTX).

Do I want PentiumM? Which one? Pentium4? Which one?

Thanks in advance!


Don't get the 7800GTX. You can get the 7900GT for about $100 less. The 7900GT is also better than the 7800GTX. Sorry, can't help you with the Pentium processor choice, don't know enough about them to be of any real help.
March 26, 2006 11:56:09 PM

Quote:


Don't get the 7800GTX. You can get the 7900GT for about $100 less. The 7900GT is also better than the 7800GTX.


I don't think such a card exsist yet. We are talking about the "go" series of graphics for notebook computers here. Unless the GO 7900GT came out and I missed it?
March 26, 2006 11:56:47 PM

Quote:
Going to buy a new notebook computer, and will be going to the dark side and getting a Pentium CPU. The thing is, I know little about Pentiums as I have always gone the AMD path.

Can someone help me pick a CPU? I am looking for the best "bang for the buck". I want good performance and low cost. I will be doing some mild gaming (will have the geforce GO 7800GTX).

Do I want PentiumM? Which one? Pentium4? Which one?

Thanks in advance!


Don't get the 7800GTX. You can get the 7900GT for about $100 less. The 7900GT is also better than the 7800GTX. Sorry, can't help you with the Pentium processor choice, don't know enough about them to be of any real help.

I wasn't aware that there's a 7900 for laptops. The Dell laptops don't come with Pentium 4's (thank God; it's a desktop CPU); the 2GHz Pentium M that comes standard on the Inspiron XPS is faster than any Pentium 4; don't waste your $500 getting the 2.26GHz one. Spend some of that money to upgrade the RAM to 2GB, and keep the rest. Oh, yeah; Dell laptops are pretty nice machines.
March 26, 2006 11:58:02 PM

Quote:


Don't get the 7800GTX. You can get the 7900GT for about $100 less. The 7900GT is also better than the 7800GTX.


I don't think such a card exsist yet. We are talking about the "go" series of graphics for notebook computers here. Unless the GO 7900GT came out and I missed it?


Damn. You beat me to it :( . I think the 7900Go will come out pretty soon; probably the next 1-2 months.
March 27, 2006 12:00:42 AM

So far, this is the system I am looking at:

Pentium(R) M 760 (2GHz/2MBcache
Progress MXG (Intel 915PMchipset/17WSXGA+/GeForce Go 7800 GTX)
PC4300 DDR2 1GB 533MHz(512MBx2)
80GB ATA100/5400rpm
GeFore Go 7800 GTX GDDR3 256MB(256bit) PCI Express x16/TV-Out/DVI
SlimDrive(DVD±R8x/±RW4x/DVD8x)CD+DVD
3D Sound onboard
1000Base GigabitLAN + IEEE802.11a/b/g wireless LAN
56K modem
stereo speakers
17.0 wide screen (1680*1050)
WindowsXP Home Edition
mini IEEE1394a ×1/PCMCIA TYPEⅡ×1/USB2.0×4

210,000 Yen..... about.... $1,800 US or so.
March 27, 2006 12:05:55 AM

Quote:
Going to buy a new notebook computer, and will be going to the dark side and getting a Pentium CPU. The thing is, I know little about Pentiums as I have always gone the AMD path.

Can someone help me pick a CPU? I am looking for the best "bang for the buck". I want good performance and low cost. I will be doing some mild gaming (will have the geforce GO 7800GTX).

Do I want PentiumM? Which one? Pentium4? Which one?

Thanks in advance!


out of curiosity why have you decided that ur only gonna get a laptop with an intel processor?
March 27, 2006 12:07:36 AM

There ya go. That's a good build. The only thing I would do different is see if you can get a faster hard drive. One that runs 7200 RPM instead of 5400. That makes quite a difference in performance for a laptop believe it or not. Otherwise, that's a great build and that's what I would get.
March 27, 2006 12:19:00 AM

Quote:

out of curiosity why have you decided that ur only gonna get a laptop with an intel processor?


The company from which I MUST buy from (out of my hands) is not currently offering any decent AMD based notebooks.
March 27, 2006 12:19:58 AM

Quote:
There ya go. That's a good build. The only thing I would do different is see if you can get a faster hard drive. One that runs 7200 RPM instead of 5400. That makes quite a difference in performance for a laptop believe it or not. Otherwise, that's a great build and that's what I would get.


Done. Cost an extra $50 for the same size HDD at 7200rpm.
March 27, 2006 12:23:55 AM

Good deal man. You won't go wrong with that machine. It's a similar build to mine other than the graphics and mine has a slower CPU. Nice choice
!