cooler_power

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
I have a creative x-fi xtreme music sound card with gigaworks s750 7.1 and i would like to know witch are the best settings to use when i play battlefield2.

Things i would like to know:
1. Is it better to enable cmss-3d from the game mode or disable it?
2. If i turn on 24bit-crystalizer will i slow down the performance of my pc?
3. In the game audio menu whitch option to use (x-fi,software or hardware)

please notice that my pc specs aren't to good
cpu: p4 2GHz nothwood
ram: ddr-sdram 512mb @ 166MHz
graphics card: asus a9600xt/td 128mb
mobo: ecs p4s5a/dx+

thanks in advance and sorry for my english...

raptor50

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
I have my CMSS 3d on with 24 bit crystal off. The game is on X-Fi settings. Seems to work bets for me when I am using headphones.

cooler_power

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
As i know bf2 audio is surround and the job of cmss-3d is to make stereo to virtual surround. So is it a good idea to have it enabled??

Someone who knows what does cmss-3d exactly is please reply...

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
You're in luck, I have the same soundcard and I used it with BF2. Its' pretty awesome along with my Klipsch 2.1 Pro Media in both games and entertainment. For gaming, this is my sound card settings.

Game mode of course. Then CMSS, put in on auto. I max my 24 bit crystalizer. New Age on equalizer setting. Doesn't notice any negative impact on performance during gameplay.

Make sure you set your speakers to 7.1 and as well as the THX set-up. Calibrate all the speakers like the distance and diceble. Tweak the equalizer settings for better sound. If you have an onboard sound on your mobo, then disable it to prevent any conflict with the XF-i.

On BF2 audio settings, select on XF-i and set the sound quality to ultra quality. There you should be good to go.

cooler_power

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
I disabled the cmss-3d and enabled the 24-bit crystalizer to 100%. Also i enabled bass redirection to 100MHz and the subwoofer gain (+15dB). In THX menu i select the creative gigaworks s750 and fix the distances.

In the game menu i use x-fi and ultra high with EAX enable offcurce.

With this settings i can hear the ultimate surround plesure!

p.s . i din't use upmix from the gigaworks panel

cooler_power

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
you've felt the need to enable bass redirection and SUB GAIN with the gigaworks. are you wanting a foot massage at the same time or something.

I have no problem with the bass because i can adjust it from the gigaworks panel...

OxxY

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2004
I disabled the cmss-3d and enabled the 24-bit crystalizer to 100%. Also i enabled bass redirection to 100MHz and the subwoofer gain (+15dB). In THX menu i select the creative gigaworks s750 and fix the distances.

In the game menu i use x-fi and ultra high with EAX enable offcurce.

With this settings i can hear the ultimate surround plesure!

p.s . i din't use upmix from the gigaworks panel

While on topic.. can i know what is your setting for music? is 100 Hz bass good for music.. i think smaller is better right?I might me wrong :p

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
First of all, you should probably turn off bass redirect. It doesn't really do anything for you other than put a nice midbass hole in your frequency response. Bass redirect is designed for component systems, not all-in-one sets with hardwired crossovers. Of course I'm not here to tell you what you prefer to hear, so keep it on if you *like* it, which comes to my next point...

Secondly, sound is subjective. If you enjoy having CMSS on and/or Crystalizer, that's cool. If you are just turning it on because you think its cool (aka ULTIMATESOUNDtm--whether its good or not, who cares), well that's your choice as well. If you are aiming for the best experience, you might want to try gaming with those features off, to see if you like unadulterated waveform output, or exaggerated reverbs.

Thirdly, your system is pretty linear (S750s). From an objective point of view, there are two reasons why a Crystalizer (smily face) equalizer preset might be preferable.

1) Because you have inaccurate loudspeakers--no tweeters, poor subwoofer, that sort of thing.

2) Because you like West Coast sound. 80s style with high highs and high lows. The problem is, whatever you think you are trying to achieve with the Crystalizer, you are overexaggerating, because the "West Coast" sound phenomenon developed due to laid back recordings. Recordings these days are compressed to the limit of 144db dynamic range, and are anything but laid back...