Core Duo Laptop or wait for Conroe..?

wrack

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
I am planning to get a laptop Dell Inspiron 9400

It's a core duo and I heard about battery issues and a fix but still not too sure if it's really fixed..?

I am not in big hurry to get it so I am also wondering if I should wait till Mobile version of Conroe comes to market..?

Cheers :)

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
The 9400 is a sweet machine and now it has the core duo. I wish I would've waited but, I have last years model (9300) which I love. Great machine and you can't go wrong with it.

wrack

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
Conroe will not be a laptop part, the laptop part is Merom and will release after Conroe because the current laptop part (Yohna) has not completed it's lifecycle, Yohna is also a pretty darn good processor.

AMD will release Turion X2 this may that is intended to compete with Yohna, some will argue it is going to be better than Yohna but the initial data does not suggest that, AMD may tweak it up better before release we will need to wait and see.
So when does Merom come out..? Not an AMD fella I am :D

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006

It's a core duo and I heard about battery issues and a fix but still not too sure if it's really fixed..?

I am not in big hurry to get it so I am also wondering if I should wait till Mobile version of Conroe comes to market..?

Sure, wait. I hear WD is working on a low power consumption mini-Raptor so you can get one of those with the Conroe Duo

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005

Sure, wait. I hear WD is working on a low power consumption mini-Raptor so you can get one of those with the Conroe Duo

Now that would be sweet! I just hope they don't make as much noise as the desktop raptors do. Not that it's that bothersome but, laptops are very quiet usually ... Still, very good news :D

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006

Now that would be sweet! I just hope they don't make as much noise as the desktop raptors do. Not that it's that bothersome but, laptops are very quiet usually ... Still, very good news :D

Unfortunately, I was just teasing. 8O

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006

Well, if you're not in a hurry, why not wait for Turion X2?
It will launch the 9th of may and it will be "Vista 64" ready from day one. :wink:

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Nothing wrong with dreaming a little eh? :lol:

It's just a matter of time. Battery technology is moving along nicely and you know power requirements will drop significantly for higher RPM laptop HDs within a few years. What is a good name for a baby Raptor?

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006

Unfortunately, I was just teasing. 8O
Why'd you have to get my hopes up like that? I'll probably need a laptop for high school (I'm in 8th grade), and I'm hoping that my grandpa will give me his 12-inch PowerBook when he buys a MacBookPro (funny name).

wrack

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
It will launch the 9th of may and it will be "Vista 64" ready from day one. :wink:
Sorry I am going to stick with Intel as far as laptops go.

gpfear

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Sorry I am going to stick with Intel as far as laptops go.

Wait to see if you can get decent video in a laptop.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Put a gfx card in that thing and you're set to go.
And 64 bit is useless now that Vista has been scaled back and delayed another couple of months.
Turion(IE Poorion) are poor performers though their 64 bit extension may become usefull in late 2007. But that's 1.5 years away.
There is no need to wait for Merom since it will probably arrive in Q4. That's a bit too much even if it will prove much better.

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
humm... its "Yonah"
IMO, i think if you can wait for the next generation mobile processors, plz do so. if you can't, then buy the second generation of yonah.

wrack

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
Been looking and found that the release dates have been pushed earlier than before for Conroe and Merom so I might just wait for Merom Laptop.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
Merom is set to launch in August in time for the back to school season. This works out great for me, and I'm planning on getting a MacBook Pro since Apple seems to be getting processors first. With Boot Camp and it's great looks I don't see much need in getting a PC anymore. I'm hoping Apple decides to push Mac OS 10.5 Leopard forward so that my labtop will come with it preinstalled. The further x86 optimizations and non-beta Boot Camp (hopefully with Vista support) would be appreciated.

One of my buddies has a 9300, which is the same machine but with a single-core Pentium M 533 FSB instead of the Core Duo. The thing is _freaking HUGE!_ This is more of a "never gets taken off the desk" machine than a laptop.

The Merom is supposed to be a tweaked Core Duo with twice the cache and better FPU performance. As a laptop, you'll see some but not that much difference as you probably won't push the unit as hard as some would a desktop, so it will not matter as much. Both are 65nm chips and should get equivalent battery life (and the 9400 has a built-in USB hub, mind you, so the Windows proc sleep state bug WILL affect it!)

So it's up to you- do you need one now or not? If so, Core Duo should not be outperformed that much by Merom, but if you can wait, then why not?

I'll probably need a laptop for high school (I'm in 8th grade), and I'm hoping that my grandpa will give me his 12-inch PowerBook when he buys a MacBookPro (funny name).

Huh?!? You need a laptop for HIGH SCHOOL?! I want to know what the administrators at your high school are smoking if they want you to have a laptop. You live at home with access to a home computer (your rig in your sig.) You take relatively few notes in class. And the lectures are generally written up on overheads or on the board by hand, not distributed online via a course webpage or WebCT. The homework is written on the board or passed out as worksheets, not posted online. So tell me why you need to haul around a laptop in class during high school again?

In college, it is a little different story as you do need a computer to access course webpages to get assignments and notes. When I was in high school, a few pages of notes a day was a lot. And that was with crappy wide-rule paper. In college, they give you about four times that and a laptop can help some in some classes to take notes with as I can type a LOT faster than I can scribble. I lug my old laptop around for that purpose for about 1/3 of my classes. The rest are better served with paper and pencil.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I'll probably need a laptop for high school (I'm in 8th grade), and I'm hoping that my grandpa will give me his 12-inch PowerBook when he buys a MacBookPro (funny name).

Huh?!? You need a laptop for HIGH SCHOOL?! I want to know what the administrators at your high school are smoking if they want you to have a laptop. You live at home with access to a home computer (your rig in your sig.) You take relatively few notes in class. And the lectures are generally written up on overheads or on the board by hand, not distributed online via a course webpage or WebCT. The homework is written on the board or passed out as worksheets, not posted online. So tell me why you need to haul around a laptop in class during high school again?

In college, it is a little different story as you do need a computer to access course webpages to get assignments and notes. When I was in high school, a few pages of notes a day was a lot. And that was with crappy wide-rule paper. In college, they give you about four times that and a laptop can help some in some classes to take notes with as I can type a LOT faster than I can scribble. I lug my old laptop around for that purpose for about 1/3 of my classes. The rest are better served with paper and pencil.

We all have our own way of getting stuff done. If I was still in school, I'd want a tablet laptop. You'd have the speed of pen and paper and the advantages of the laptop's editing, filing and associated apps. Plus email and web access. Plus a toy to play with. But the mass and fragility is a real handicap.