EU to Slap Charge on Microsoft for Breaching Browser Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
And yet IE isn't even the most used browser on W7. Most people are using Firefox and Chrome so it's clear the users aren't being forced, in fact they're switching without the need of this said popup . Seems like EU is just going out of their way to screw MS

mstngs351

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
Sometimes regulations are just silly. I don't expect Ford to provide me with a tray of GPS devises to choose from but appreciate it when it's built into the vehicle. If I want a different GPS set up I get one. It's so easy that these rules are just plain stupid. "I'm sorry but you can't offer a complete system package even though anyone can add any program they like" Yeah, that's real anti competitive.

G

mustangs: Ford didnt forceably create a monopoly on cars with a bunch of back-room deals either, now did they? Microsoft has gone out of their way to ensure that the AVERAGE CONSUMER never has a choice in what OS is on their PC, unless they're willing to pay 3x as much for an Apple product.

Regulation is a good thing, if you don't like having a government setting a minimum standard for quality and ethics in business(especially from companies like MS with a long history of illegal and unethical behaviour), then I suggest you move to somewhere like Somalia. Then again, you may be a de-regulation Repub, who thinks that bringing back child-labour is somehow going to reduce the unemployment rate. No, you'll just be competing for the same number of jobs with cheap labour from your own kids, as well as China, India and Mexico.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
And yet, Microsoft is going to ban other browsers from Windows RT and risk another antitrust investigation. Sometimes i wonder if they learned something from their past actions.

acyuta

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
1. EU countries in a very bad shape financially, unemployment at 10%, finances shot.
2. European Central Bank pledges to `do what it takes to save the Eurozone'.
3. Money, money, money to pay the bills.
4. Look outside as no one inside has any money and it is always better to let others' money clean up your mess.
5. Voila, let us rob the Americans to pay for our misdeeds and profligacies.
6. If we can't make it, then let's ruin others who can.

I am not American white, but an Asian Indian (not a Red Indian).

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]acyuta[/nom]1. EU countries in a very bad shape financially, unemployment at 10%, finances shot.2. European Central Bank pledges to `do what it takes to save the Eurozone'.3. Money, money, money to pay the bills.4. Look outside as no one inside has any money and it is always better to let others' money clean up your mess.5. Voila, let us rob the Americans to pay for our misdeeds and profligacies.6. If we can't make it, then let's ruin others who can.I am not American white, but an Asian Indian (not a Red Indian).[/citation]
Apple is an American company also , has the same thing an OS that comes with a browser , yet EU doesn`t touch it! I`m european and i`m sick of this bullshit !

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]acyuta[/nom]1. EU countries in a very bad shape financially, unemployment at 10%, finances shot.2. European Central Bank pledges to `do what it takes to save the Eurozone'.3. Money, money, money to pay the bills.4. Look outside as no one inside has any money and it is always better to let others' money clean up your mess.5. Voila, let us rob the Americans to pay for our misdeeds and profligacies.6. If we can't make it, then let's ruin others who can.I am not American white, but an Asian Indian (not a Red Indian).[/citation]

First of all the EU has been dealing with this issue with Microsoft before the recession and their fiscal woes. So everything you have said is NULL and VOID.

a1b2c3

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Ya'll don't worry none 'bout Microsoft. They'll be just fine and dandy.
It's their customers (i.e. you an' me) that'll be pay'n an extra 10% on future versions of their software.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]mstngs351[/nom]Sometimes regulations are just silly. I don't expect Ford to provide me with a tray of GPS devises to choose from but appreciate it when it's built into the vehicle.[/citation]
Ford doesn't control 90% of the automotive market.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]a1b2c3[/nom]Ya'll don't worry none 'bout Microsoft. They'll be just fine and dandy.It's their customers (i.e. you an' me) that'll be pay'n an extra 10% on future versions of their software.[/citation]

So are you suggesting when a company violates laws and regulations of a nation/region that nothing should be done since the company may not absorb the cost and pass parts of it to consumers?

If a company is illegally using child labour, they should not be fined since the price of the product 'may' be higher for consumers?

So the bigger sin for you is the potential for higher price then the illegal and/or immoral act?

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Ford doesn't control 90% of the automotive market.[/citation]
Another way of looking at it - if AMD implodes, will your life be better with Intel controlling 99% of the desktop CPU market?

PCs only became successful when Compaq and Phoenix clean-room cloned IBM's BIOS which allowed multiple PC manufacturers to compete aganst IBM. If that hadn't happened we would all be running overpriced PS/2 systems.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
[citation][nom]Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer[/nom]The iPad's global tablet market share is something like 70%. Where's the browser ballet box on that?[/citation]
You know we're in bad shape when the judicial systems of the world make their decisions on their own fanboyism. Because they own Apple products and love them they never do anything that'd 'hurt' Apple

cbfelterbush

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
The FACT of the matter is, despite their "reason" for perusing this action against Microsoft, the
EU is simply fishing for money.

Microsoft has the right to include IE with Windows, moreover IE Needs to be included with Windows.
There needs to be a default browser included with an OS. Microsoft is doing nothing to inhibit ANYONE from installing ANY Browser they want. Every OS contains an included default Browser. However the EU thinks that only Microsoft should be required to take extra steps to increase the competitive nature of the market. I don't see iOS or OSX being targeted by the EU.

Supporting an argument to the contrary under this basis, "Microsoft has gone out of their way to ensure that the AVERAGE CONSUMER never has a choice in what OS is on their PC," -it_pays2think

Complete nonsense, since IE is not the most used browser on Windows this position falls flat. The AVERAGE CONSUMER by the law of averages IS changing their browser choice without issue.

-CB

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]cbfelterbush[/nom]The FACT of the matter is, despite their "reason" for perusing this action against Microsoft, the EU is simply fishing for money. Microsoft has the right to include IE with Windows, moreover IE Needs to be included with Windows.There needs to be a default browser included with an OS. Microsoft is doing nothing to inhibit ANYONE from installing ANY Browser they want. Every OS contains an included default Browser. However the EU thinks that only Microsoft should be required to take extra steps to increase the competitive nature of the market. I don't see iOS or OSX being targeted by the EU. Supporting an argument to the contrary under this basis, "Microsoft has gone out of their way to ensure that the AVERAGE CONSUMER never has a choice in what OS is on their PC," -it_pays2thinkComplete nonsense, since IE is not the most used browser on Windows this position falls flat. The AVERAGE CONSUMER by the law of averages IS changing their browser choice without issue. -CB[/citation]

So the EU is fishing for money when:

1. Sun in 1998 complained to the EU about Microsoft including IE in the OS
http://www.crn.com.au/News/92409,eu-dismisses-microsoft-antitrust-appeal.aspx

2. The EU made a judgement based on the laws and regulations in place, Microsoft fought tooth and nail with their lawyers at all stages, appeals, etc. and it was clear they lost and were to put in place what the regulations in Europe required. They have continued to snub their nose to the various judgements and have not implemented the change. By due process the next step was to fine them according to the rules.

3. If a monopoly breaks the rules and regulations there are consequences, even if consumers have created a market for competition. They are still held to be accountable for breaking rules.

If I have a store and you have a store, if I'm using anti-competitive tactics to get an advantage over you, it does not matter whether you're store has no business, less business or is doing well, I am breaking the rules and as a result there are consequences. Customers may be choosing you over me, but I am still violating competition rules.

a1b2c3

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]So are you suggesting when a company violates laws and regulations of a nation/region that nothing should be done since the company may not absorb the cost and pass parts of it to consumers?If a company is illegally using child labour, they should not be fined since the price of the product 'may' be higher for consumers?So the bigger sin for you is the potential for higher price then the illegal and/or immoral act?[/citation]
lol, you presumed too much, but you make a good point.

nocteratus

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
Microsoft should stop selling products in EU territories so they won't be sued.
They won't loose money not selling but will actually gain money by not being sued.

It's not Microsoft fault if the European users don't know how to work with their computers and install another browser.

Hey, I'll sue every car company because when I insert my key in the ignition I don't have a pop-up that says I have to turn the key to start the car.

If you're not happy with Windows+IE then install Linux and let the fun begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS