shortymike

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
So I was thinking about putting some foam under my HD cage to try and eliminate some noise. When looking, I found some hard (for foam anyway) polyethylene used for sound damping and some softer conductive polyurethane used for shipping ICs. Is the conductive property something I should be thinking about? I ask because I know some hard drives are grounded (like when using the Zalman ZM-2HC2) just in case it's not plugged in or something. However, the foam's resistivity is pretty high and marketed for protecting against static charge anyway.

TIA
shorty

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Sound proofing is nice but with the sound insulation foams also traps heat and increases you system ambient temperature. I have the same for my side case panel, my system got quite but got warmer as well. But with some good air cooling and vents I was able to get rid of the heat problem. Try using rubber washers for screwing the hard drives to the case. It helps a lot and get rid of some of the vibrations, thus making it quite. I've use rubber washers on my rig as much as can. I specially use it in moving parts like fans, hd and psu. So try that and reduced your pc's noise.

shortymike

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I have the rubber washers for the screw mounts so that won't be able to ground the HDs. Will the foam be conducting enough or do I have to run a grounding wire?

By the way, thermal won't be an issue since I'm only putting foam where there wouldn't have been any air flow (not over the whole case).

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I'm not using any grounding wire for my hd but its been running fine for over 6 months now. Im not worried much about grounding the hd to the case since its' attached to the psu which is grounded as well. Yes, psu with three prongs/ connectors are grounded, so don't worry about the grounding issue. :D