Best PCI Video Card

I am currently shopping for the best PCI video card available for my friend. Although I am aware this is quite out of date, it is the best temporary solution for him. Anywho the best I've come up with is a 6200 PCI card, if there is anything better I'd be willing to listen. Thank you.
7 answers Last reply
More about best video card
  1. Do you literally mean PCI/33 MHZ variety, or PCI-e?
  2. Nah mate, the best around is either a Nvidia 6200 or a Radeon 9000 but you will not get much out of either, especially if you are talking about gamesplaying...
  3. 9250 is way better ..... and even cheaper
    don`t forget the address bus widht ..it must be at least 64....
    you can find a good deal for ati 9250 128/128
    most 6200 (the cheap versions) are either TC or 64 bit interface

tc means turbo cache...it takes memory from your RAM (dynamic)
    don`t expect much from both of them ...
  4. He might be better off with your solution Wuzy except for the fact that he's using BTX lol He's got one of them Dells with no hope for any upgrade aka "Entry Level" (Dimension 3000 Mobo). Ultimately my recomendation has been to buy a whole new computer and salvage as many parts as possible but until then he's going to need something. I appreciate all of your input.
  5. Actually, the 6200 is quite a bit better than the 9250. Get the 6200, it is simply the best card you can get on PCI (it's still pretty bad though).
  6. Quote:
    Ultimately my recomendation has been to buy a whole new computer and salvage as many parts as possible but until then he's going to need something. I appreciate all of your input.

I think that'svery wise, in fact IMO get an X200 or GF6150 equipped integrated MoBo and it'll run circles around those crummy PCI cards for gaming. They you can add PCIe to the solution.

BTW, what's the CPU he's running, being a DELL Intel obviously, but there are S478 PCIe solutions as well as newer S775 PCIe ones. so he should be able to keep his memory, HD and CPU and get some nice choices with what he has. The only sticking point IMO will be Dell's sometimes proprietary PSU.

Other than that I think you're on the right track moving on instead of trying to revive this dead mule with a crippled/wasted PCI card.
  7. Quote:
    Actually, the 6200 is quite a bit better than the 9250. Get the 6200, it is simply the best card you can get on PCI (it's still pretty bad though).

In PCI format they are pretty much the same. Both cards are severly crippled by the PCI inteface.

You can put a GF7900 chip on a PCI card, but it's still not going to perform that much better than the next card that saturates the bus.

It's amazing how restrictive it is, and the integrated X200 and GF6100/6150 are far better options IMO. Heck I bet the GMA950 plays better than all the PCI cards.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards PCI Graphics