How to enable the hidden pixel and vertex pipelines

ashwim

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
I want to know how to enable the extra/hidden pixel & vertex pipelines of my geforce 6800 card.

Can anyone tell me how do I do that.

why artifacts: in cores containing disabled pipelines/cache/shading units etc., which are usually bridled down versions of 'better' models, those hidden features are untested. Or, the core itself was tested as being unsuitable for the higher model and was then scaled down by disabling faulty parts.

Depending on demand, you can have plenty good cores sold as low versions - those are the best to unlock because there's a high chance of a perfect feature unlock without artifacts - or mainly cores that failed the higher level tests and were sold as lower capabilities units - those either have faulty behaviours, or those can't scale up well in higher frequency.

The best way to know is to try, and Rivatuner being a software-only unlocker, you have nothing to fear trying it.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Well what I meant is that the OP shouldn’t get the impression that it is a 100% guaranteed job. A lot of people I know try to overclock their systems and when they do not get the results expected (when I mean results I mean them reading somewhere about 6GHz PIVs) they get mad.

Of course I wouldn’t want to discourage someone from trying to get the max out of there systems but one should approach the matter with an open mind (If it doesn’t work I still get what I paid for)

Cheers

Quite true - the reason some people pay a premium for premium products is because they want to be sure they'll get what they paid for. There are products that can be tinkered with with a high rate of success (aaah... Cely 300A@450... Socket-A Athlon 600@900...), and some others that can't be toyed with much.

I got an Asus Geforce 6600NE silencer (passive coling): I can't overclock it much, I know the chip has not much I can unlock (merely 2D/3D clock functionalities), it runs games more or less well (for example FEAR looks nice, but not breath-takingly great), but it does what I want from it: run OpenGL stuff in absolute silence for a small price.

ijsco

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I think it's two pipelines you can additionally unlock...it says it all on how to do it but here's a quick guide ;

open rivatuner / hit customize at the target adaptor tab / hit the low-level system settings tab / hit the NVStrap driver tab / hit the customize tab / check the masked units (should be pixel unit 3 or 0 and vertex unit 3 or 5) / check allow enabling hardware masked units / apply and reboot

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
As long as it is an AGP 6200 and not a TC (turbo cache uses a different core) you should be able to unlock it with Riva Tuner to “upgrade” it to a 6600.

ashwim

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
My Graphics is Galaxy's 6800XT 128MB PCI Express.
The 'target adapter' portion of the MAIN tab of the rivatuner says

NVIDIA Geforce 6800XT / PLUG AND PLAY MONITOR
NV42(A1,8x1,4vp) with 128MB DDR3

As mentioned in the link. I enabled the two unit whose state was disabled. One was 'pixel unit 0' and the other was 'vertex unit 2' and restarted the computer. But the strange thing is that the HW Masked column show N/A for all units - what does this mean?

I restarted the computer after clicking OK.

After restarting the PC I checked the 'target adapter' portion of the MAIN tab and it still says the same thing

NVIDIA Geforce 6800XT / PLUG AND PLAY MONITOR
NV42(A1,8x1,4vp) with 128MB DDR3

After enabling the disabled units shouldn't this portion say something like
NV42(A1,12x1,5vp) with 128MB DDR3

Now I'm really confused

ijsco

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
The N/A is only to be seen in the description of the custom graphics processor configuration column.
You should look at HW masked instead and look if it says yes anywhere.
If the row is empty you don't have masked units to unlock (or Rivatuner couldn't detect them).

Cinder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
My Graphics is Galaxy's 6800XT 128MB PCI Express.

Sorry, you have nothing to unlock. The 6800 PCI-E style cards all use GPUs with just 12 pipe lines. I think it was twelve anyway. Now if you had the AGP version of the card you might be able to unlock something but you don't.

bigsby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
So is it possible for me to unlock anything like that with my ati x600 :roll: :D ?

I sincerely doubt it but it's always nice to ask. Lesse if i can get a little bit of preformance out of this POS before I inevitably switch it over and blow it up.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
On an AGP 6200 your best result would be a good 6600 :D
bad case would be (you get what you paid for) 6200 :wink:
Worst case would be burnt 6200 (that's if you overdo the overclocking) :cry:

You aren't guranteed to be able to unlock it though all the 6200s (agps) that I've seen were unlocklable.

7H4_D00D3

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I don't think bbq will take place, because it's not my card, but my friend's card and he doesn't want to OC anything...I found this thread and asketh the question "is it possible on a 6200?", I told him and he asked me "WCS?" that's why I came back : p

So, if pipes are "unlocked badly" and that means BAD BAD results, you don't know what would happen? : p or it won't simply even unlock the pipes

7H4_D00D3

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
WCS = Worst Case Scenario

And yes, he enabled the unlocking feature :s, that's why I was asking....very odd indeed :s

Thanks for the guide, I'll tell him about it

7H4_D00D3

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
It didn't work :S

He followed the guide step by step and nothing happened :S:S:S

I think it is because, the guy who made that guide has a DDR2 128 bit NV43 board and my friend an DDR 64-bit NV44 board...., different cores?

What do you think?

TRENDING THREADS