Sign in with
Your question

How to enable the hidden pixel and vertex pipelines

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 27, 2006 5:20:18 AM

I want to know how to enable the extra/hidden pixel & vertex pipelines of my geforce 6800 card.

Can anyone tell me how do I do that.
March 27, 2006 7:12:04 AM

why artifacts: in cores containing disabled pipelines/cache/shading units etc., which are usually bridled down versions of 'better' models, those hidden features are untested. Or, the core itself was tested as being unsuitable for the higher model and was then scaled down by disabling faulty parts.

Depending on demand, you can have plenty good cores sold as low versions - those are the best to unlock because there's a high chance of a perfect feature unlock without artifacts - or mainly cores that failed the higher level tests and were sold as lower capabilities units - those either have faulty behaviours, or those can't scale up well in higher frequency.

The best way to know is to try, and Rivatuner being a software-only unlocker, you have nothing to fear trying it.
Related resources
March 27, 2006 11:23:44 AM

Well what I meant is that the OP shouldn’t get the impression that it is a 100% guaranteed job. A lot of people I know try to overclock their systems and when they do not get the results expected (when I mean results I mean them reading somewhere about 6GHz PIVs) they get mad.

Of course I wouldn’t want to discourage someone from trying to get the max out of there systems but one should approach the matter with an open mind (If it doesn’t work I still get what I paid for)

Cheers
March 27, 2006 11:30:46 AM

Quite true - the reason some people pay a premium for premium products is because they want to be sure they'll get what they paid for. There are products that can be tinkered with with a high rate of success (aaah... Cely 300A@450... Socket-A Athlon 600@900...), and some others that can't be toyed with much.

I got an Asus Geforce 6600NE silencer (passive coling): I can't overclock it much, I know the chip has not much I can unlock (merely 2D/3D clock functionalities), it runs games more or less well (for example FEAR looks nice, but not breath-takingly great), but it does what I want from it: run OpenGL stuff in absolute silence for a small price.
a b Î Nvidia
March 27, 2006 4:21:16 PM

Quote:
I want to know how to enable the extra/hidden pixel & vertex pipelines of my geforce 6800 card.

What GF6800 do you have, if it's a PCIe version nothing to unlock, for AGP use RivaTuner.
March 29, 2006 3:06:29 PM

I think it's two pipelines you can additionally unlock...it says it all on how to do it but here's a quick guide ;

open rivatuner / hit customize at the target adaptor tab / hit the low-level system settings tab / hit the NVStrap driver tab / hit the customize tab / check the masked units (should be pixel unit 3 or 0 and vertex unit 3 or 5) / check allow enabling hardware masked units / apply and reboot
March 29, 2006 3:27:02 PM

will that trick work for a 6200?
March 29, 2006 3:32:59 PM

Quote:
will that trick work for a 6200?

I think the 6200 doesn't have masked units (pipelines) but let me get back at on this...
March 30, 2006 7:18:55 AM

As long as it is an AGP 6200 and not a TC (turbo cache uses a different core) you should be able to unlock it with Riva Tuner to “upgrade” it to a 6600.
April 2, 2006 4:51:49 PM

My Graphics is Galaxy's 6800XT 128MB PCI Express.
The 'target adapter' portion of the MAIN tab of the rivatuner says

NVIDIA Geforce 6800XT / PLUG AND PLAY MONITOR
NV42(A1,8x1,4vp) with 128MB DDR3

As mentioned in the link. I enabled the two unit whose state was disabled. One was 'pixel unit 0' and the other was 'vertex unit 2' and restarted the computer. But the strange thing is that the HW Masked column show N/A for all units - what does this mean?

I restarted the computer after clicking OK.

After restarting the PC I checked the 'target adapter' portion of the MAIN tab and it still says the same thing

NVIDIA Geforce 6800XT / PLUG AND PLAY MONITOR
NV42(A1,8x1,4vp) with 128MB DDR3

After enabling the disabled units shouldn't this portion say something like
NV42(A1,12x1,5vp) with 128MB DDR3

Now I'm really confused
April 2, 2006 5:31:13 PM

hey, my friend tried that but the HWmask units had only the "unabled" status...

what's that supposed to mean?: p
April 3, 2006 12:12:25 PM

Is your friends 6200 an AGP version? If so you have a chance. Haven't heard of anybody having any luck with the PCI-E version
April 3, 2006 5:02:21 PM

yup, it is, what would be the worst case scenario?
April 3, 2006 5:31:03 PM

The N/A is only to be seen in the description of the custom graphics processor configuration column.
You should look at HW masked instead and look if it says yes anywhere.
If the row is empty you don't have masked units to unlock (or Rivatuner couldn't detect them).
April 3, 2006 6:20:28 PM

Yup. but it also sais N/A on some units in HW mask
April 3, 2006 7:14:27 PM

Quote:
My Graphics is Galaxy's 6800XT 128MB PCI Express.

Sorry, you have nothing to unlock. The 6800 PCI-E style cards all use GPUs with just 12 pipe lines. I think it was twelve anyway. Now if you had the AGP version of the card you might be able to unlock something but you don't.
April 3, 2006 7:34:15 PM

So is it possible for me to unlock anything like that with my ati x600 :roll: :D  ?

I sincerely doubt it but it's always nice to ask. Lesse if i can get a little bit of preformance out of this POS before I inevitably switch it over and blow it up.
April 4, 2006 12:41:27 PM

On an AGP 6200 your best result would be a good 6600 :D 
bad case would be (you get what you paid for) 6200 :wink:
Worst case would be burnt 6200 (that's if you overdo the overclocking) :cry: 

You aren't guranteed to be able to unlock it though all the 6200s (agps) that I've seen were unlocklable.
April 7, 2006 5:07:22 PM

I don't think bbq will take place, because it's not my card, but my friend's card and he doesn't want to OC anything...I found this thread and asketh the question "is it possible on a 6200?", I told him and he asked me "WCS?" that's why I came back : p

So, if pipes are "unlocked badly" and that means BAD BAD results, you don't know what would happen? : p or it won't simply even unlock the pipes
April 10, 2006 8:26:23 AM

Nothing that scary should happen but don’t hold me responsible.

BTW did he enable the unlocking in the NVStrap driver tab? Ask him to check the following guide.

http://www.doomedpc.com/?q=node/36

p.s. What does WCS stand for? :roll:
April 10, 2006 6:06:13 PM

WCS = Worst Case Scenario

And yes, he enabled the unlocking feature :s, that's why I was asking....very odd indeed :s

Thanks for the guide, I'll tell him about it
April 11, 2006 11:53:53 AM

Don’t forget to keep us informed how it turned out. :) 
April 11, 2006 11:06:31 PM

It didn't work :S

He followed the guide step by step and nothing happened :S:S:S

I think it is because, the guy who made that guide has a DDR2 128 bit NV43 board and my friend an DDR 64-bit NV44 board...., different cores?

What do you think?
April 12, 2006 1:29:36 PM

The NV44 is the 6200TC. :(  Not a very good thing IMHO.

Anyway the worst is that he got what he paid for :D 
April 12, 2006 6:32:46 PM

Word

I asked him at the beginning of this stuff "hey, it's the turbo cache model?" "no, it's not" "are you sure? cuz this doesn't work with that model" "no, Im sure this isn't the TC one"

Well, you can't win everytime : p
April 13, 2006 12:33:22 PM

Can’t really blame him. Sometimes retailers are not very clear on what they are selling.

BTW what does the word “Word” in your post stand for?
April 13, 2006 8:22:58 PM

Quote:
Anyway the worst is that he got what he paid for

With the "word" I'm agreeing with your statement

Im thinking of trying my luck on the pipe unlocking business, I'll try to get some $$$ to acquire a 6200 (but making absolutely sure that is not the TC model xD)...if nice, I'll get a decent board by a cheap price, if bad....well, it would still beat my radeon 9250 :S only 414 3DMarks on 3DMark03, what a junk

The highest score I got was 847 @ 280/440 (stock was 240/400), but I dunno why, lately I get artifacts in the Troll's Cave test if OC to that clock speeds

BTW, that pipe unlocking stuff aslo works on the DDR model or it has to be the DDR2?
April 14, 2006 12:58:14 PM

Quote:
It’s rather easy. You use riva tuner Here is a link with a guide that should help you.

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/14685-want-unlock-overclock-6800-a.html

Note success is not guaranteed you may get artefacts etc.

Good luck . :) 

Great Link! Very easy to follow and helpful instruction. I just tried the unlock portion mentioned in the instructions and not the overclock. I did unfortunatly get the "artifacts" warned about so rolled back the changes I made with no problems.

I thought the article mentioned if you got artifacts what to do so I may give it another shot. Probably not really worth it because I am very happy with my 6800 even with only 12 pipes. This card unfortunaly only has 128 mb DDR memory on it. Still it performs like a champ.
April 14, 2006 1:07:47 PM

Quote:

Great Link! Very easy to follow and helpful instruction. I just tried the unlock portion mentioned in the instructions and not the overclock. I did unfortunatly get the "artifacts" warned about so rolled back the changes I made with no problems.

I thought the article mentioned if you got artifacts what to do so I may give it another shot. Probably not really worth it because I am very happy with my 6800 even with only 12 pipes. This card unfortunaly only has 128 mb DDR memory on it. Still it performs like a champ.

Glad you found it useful. If I were you I would try to do it. The extra pipelines are really woth it. Better than an overclock IMHO.

Cheers :D 
April 14, 2006 1:09:03 PM

Quote:

BTW, that pipe unlocking stuff aslo works on the DDR model or it has to be the DDR2?

I don’t think the memory should be a factor. It’s the GPU that counts.

Good Luck
April 26, 2006 2:23:47 AM

Quote:

Can anyone tell me how do I do that.
Hey can i do that with my bfg 7800gs
!