Video Signal Dropping

AlbertDong

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
At my wits end with this problem - PC config as outlined below:

Windows XP SP2
P4 3.0 GHz, GigaByte 8PENXP MoBo, 2GB RAM, NVidia GeForce 6800GT, Sound Blaster Audigy, 4 internal HDDs ( 2 x SATA, 2 x EIDE ).

All drivers updated to current versions, this includes mobo drivers & BIOS at most current available version.

Have been experiencing dropping video signal, principally in games ( Oblivion & Civilisation IV ) where there will be a brief display of on screen artefacts / corruption and then monitor states "No Signal" after which it's a switch on / switch off operation to resolve the problem. I have experienced the problem once when just at the desktop editing a document.

PC hasn't been rebuilt for a good 18 months and was toying with clearing down and doing a fresh install of XP incase there were any rogue driver issues.

Gut feel is it isn't this and it stinks of a dodgy video card or an overheating problem. To be fair however I've taken the side off the case to rule out heat and I'm still getting these crashes - doesn't feel overly warm inside! external temp display states ~ 44-47 celsius when playing graphically intensive games.

This morning on attempting to boot the PC it would not start POST - usual sound of fans whirring etc...had to remove mains cable and plug back in before it played ball. Possibly my problems are down to PSU ( it is a 600W device although nothing overly expensive )?

Would really appreciate any views / ideas or tips to maybe nail the problem down.

Thanks....

Facey

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
If you can, try putting your graphics card into a different computer and see if it does the same thing.

AlbertDong

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Marnueus....it's prefitted, assume it could still be the case though? What's the safest way to check this - visual inspection or unassemble it?

TRENDING THREADS