Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

FFlow Florida - scene

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 16, 2005 1:42:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Have an opportunity yet to check out FreeFlow Ultimate Florida?

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004scen&D...


If U.S. scenery and marvelous coastlines / rivers / lakes are of
interest.. then have a look. Even if you're generally interested in
building Scenery paks.

Been in contact with Scott since FFNE release and adapted the shore
BGL files to FS2002. Am actively holding up the LOW end of the Sim
platform scale with 500MHz CPUs.

Call it FS8.4 - which is (humourously) FS8 with lots of FS9 components
such as complete set of terrain bitmaps and many scenery BGL's. It's a
good study of the Sim construct.


Also see FFNE at:

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004scen&D...



-Gregory

More about : fflow florida scene

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 6:49:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Yes I installed it yesterday and I must say it is extremely well done. With
the recent extra scenery for Cape Canaveral, that part of the world is
looking good.

My first foreign PPL solo IRL was from Fort Lauderdale and I found the
Spanish American accents of the ATC so difficult to understand, that I was
banned from flying in Florida for two days while they found an instructor
who could translate!

Cheers
Quilljar


Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
http://www.livtech.co.uk
June 16, 2005 6:49:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:49:48 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
<wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> brought the following to our
attention:

>Yes I installed it yesterday and I must say it is extremely well done. With
>the recent extra scenery for Cape Canaveral, that part of the world is
>looking good.

oh.. very well Sa'. Might point out the area around Canaveral
including Patrick AFB, Melbourne Intl., and heading south from Daytona
Beach.. would be a fine place to explore. We may even see one of your
famous wide-angle views of the numerous launch complex sites along the
FF coast.. if there are (m)any. And some of the night-clubs on Cocoa
Beach.. ho-ho!!

One should just barely be able to see the launch towers from Melbourne
Beach on a clear day.. provided you're on one of the upper-floor rooms
of the hotel facing the ocean!! { grin } - certainly with binoculars.

>My first foreign PPL solo IRL was from Fort Lauderdale and I found the
>Spanish American accents of the ATC so difficult to understand, that I was
>banned from flying in Florida for two days while they found an instructor
>who could translate!

Are you sure it wasn't merely southern drawl? Ever hear some of
those Delta flight-deck radio transmissions? ;) 


-Gregory


>Cheers
>Quilljar
>
>
>Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
>http://www.livtech.co.uk
>
June 16, 2005 6:49:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Quilljar wrote:
> My first foreign PPL solo IRL was from Fort Lauderdale and I found the
> Spanish American accents of the ATC so difficult to understand, that
> I was banned from flying in Florida for two days while they found an
> instructor who could translate!
>

Pretty soon it'll be like everything else here - "press 1 for english, press
2 espanol"

Press 3 for mid-day prayers is next..........
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 7:58:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

.. We may even see one of your
> famous wide-angle views of the numerous launch complex sites along the
> FF coast.. if there are (m)any. And some of the night-clubs on Cocoa
> Beach.. ho-ho!!
> -Gregory

No sooner asked than done. Have a gander at two wide angle shots hot off the
press:-)

http://image40.webshots.com/40/9/90/23/370999023srnClP_...

http://image26.webshots.com/27/9/96/22/370999622kYQnYP_...




--
Cheers
Quilljar


Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
http://www.livtech.co.uk
June 16, 2005 7:58:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:58:32 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
<wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> brought the following to our
attention:

>. We may even see one of your
>> famous wide-angle views of the numerous launch complex sites along the
>> FF coast.. if there are (m)any. And some of the night-clubs on Cocoa
>> Beach.. ho-ho!!
>> -Gregory
>
>No sooner asked than done. Have a gander at two wide angle shots hot off the
>press:-)
>
>http://image40.webshots.com/40/9/90/23/370999023srnClP_...
>
>http://image26.webshots.com/27/9/96/22/370999622kYQnYP_...



Nice!! thought there'd be more launch towers however...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/Canaveral.gif


Notice how it says `Kennedy Space Center'.. and in Houston
is `Mission Control' or the Johnson Space Center!! ironic..
nes'nt it pas?


-G
June 16, 2005 11:19:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:49:27 -0500, "CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>Pretty soon it'll be like everything else here - "press 1 for english, press 2 espanol"
>


>Press 3 for mid-day prayers..


thought that was illegal hate-speach now? { shrug }


-G
June 16, 2005 11:19:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Gregory wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:49:27 -0500, "CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com>
> brought the following to our attention:
>
>> Pretty soon it'll be like everything else here - "press 1 for
>> english, press 2 espanol"
>>
>
>
>> Press 3 for mid-day prayers..
>
>
> thought that was illegal hate-speach now? { shrug }

Nope, that's just stating the facts - no opinion expressed whether it's
good, bad, or indifferent, but that's the trend...........
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 12:02:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:19:47 -0400, Gregory wrote:

> thought that was illegal hate-speach now? { shrug }

Was there ever such a thing as LEGAL "hate-speech"???

Bill
June 17, 2005 1:52:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:52:38 GMT, "Dallas"
<Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> brought the following to our
attention:

>
>"Gregory"
>> Have an opportunity yet to check out FreeFlow Ultimate Florida?
>> http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004scen&D...
>
>Good job Gregory!
>
>
>It looks good and I've wanted something like that... downloading now.
>
>Dallas
>

yeah.. it makes a BIG difference.. and works fine on lower-end CPU.
Can offer a few examples from FFNE.. which begins right at KACY -
Atlantic City - applied north. Here's a BEFORE..

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/KACY_depart1.jp...


and AFTER shot..

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/NJ_shore_nom.jp...



ALso.. other examples proceeding up into Connecticut..

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/LI_shore_nom.jp...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/CT_shore_nom.jp...


These are typical views from Jetliner-Sim FL's.. and GA-Sim flights
are probably even better. Scott said he's looking into including the
Chesapeake Bay (D.C. area) up into NE next.. then lots more flights
are possible!!


-Gregory
June 17, 2005 12:41:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 20:02:06 -0400, Bill Leaming <n4gix@comcast.net>
brought the following to our attention:

>On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:19:47 -0400, Gregory wrote:
>> thought that was illegal hate-speach now? { shrug }
>
>Was there ever such a thing as LEGAL "hate-speech"???
>
>Bill


not sure about legal matters Bill. Let's ask the chief.. (7.4M video)


http://images.indymedia.org/imc/washingtondc/media/vide...



note: do not view if offended by politics.. etc.
for entertainment only!!
June 17, 2005 12:41:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Gregory wrote:
>
> not sure about legal matters Bill. Let's ask the chief.. (7.4M video)
>


Thanks Gregory, that explains a LOT of things... d:->))
June 17, 2005 12:55:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:53:19 GMT, "Dallas"
<Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> brought the following to our
attention:

>
>"Quilljar"
>> http://image40.webshots.com/40/9/90/23/370999023srnClP_...
>
>Yo Quilly,
>
>Kinda blurry off in the distance... maybe you need to adjust your texture
>sight distance? - (I forgot what it's really called).
>
>Dallas
>

aww man.. I wan't going to mention that. However Quills' other
wide-views are great.. such as Gibraltar. Dallas.. do you have
[any] screenshots of the launch complexes?

ALso.. for those interested.. here's the forum. Scott has asked
to post stuff there instead of emailing. It's quite a project!!

Forum: http://fs-freeflow.com/



-Gregory

ex-Bendix, Northrop, Lockheed Martin engineer..
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 5:46:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Dallas wrote:
> "Quilljar"
>> http://image40.webshots.com/40/9/90/23/370999023srnClP_...
>
> Yo Quilly,
>
> Kinda blurry off in the distance... maybe you need to adjust your
> texture sight distance? - (I forgot what it's really called).
>
> Dallas

Looks OK to me. I don't need the distance to be sharp. It can get better as
I go there. It's a worthwhile trade-off for FPS I reckon.


--
Cheers
Quilljar


Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
http://www.livtech.co.uk
June 18, 2005 10:44:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Gregory"
> Have an opportunity yet to check out FreeFlow Ultimate Florida?
> http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004scen&D...


If any of you are on the fence about this freeware take a look at how nicely
they cut the coastlines into the Miami area intercostal waterway. If you
know Florida you would recognize that this hi res coastline makes a world of
difference in realism.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screeni...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screeni...

I found it impressive that USA Roads actually matches up perfectly with the
new coastlines. Check out the roads lined up on the peninsulas.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screeni...

My only complain is how jarring the landclass cuts away when it meets the
water, tree shadows etc get cut in half. In all a small price to pay for a
great improvement.

Dallas
June 18, 2005 10:55:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

(Second try... I screwed up the picture uploads)

"Gregory"
> Have an opportunity yet to check out FreeFlow Ultimate Florida?
> http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004scen&D...


If any of you are on the fence about this freeware take a look at how nicely
they cut the coastlines into the Miami area intercostal waterway. If you
know Florida you would recognize that this hi res coastline makes a world of
difference in realism.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screeni...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screeni...

I found it impressive that USA Roads actually matches up perfectly with the
new coastlines. Check out the roads lined up on the peninsulas.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screeni...

My only complain is how jarring the landclass cuts away when it meets the
water, tree shadows etc get cut in half. In all a small price to pay for a
great improvement.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the bridges... zillions of bridges... placed
where they should be.

Dallas
June 18, 2005 10:55:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Dallas wrote:
> (Second try... I screwed up the picture uploads)
>

I was going to mention my magnifier didn't go that high, but my gracious
manner prevailed... d:->))

Now that looks like something worth getting!! And St. Barts - although the
default version was/is something of a challenge...
June 19, 2005 12:38:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 18:55:09 GMT, "Dallas"
<Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> brought the following to our
attention:

>(Second try... I screwed up the picture uploads)
>
>"Gregory"
>> Have an opportunity yet to check out FreeFlow Ultimate Florida?
>> http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004scen&D...
>
>
>If any of you are on the fence about this freeware take a look at how nicely
>they cut the coastlines into the Miami area intercostal waterway. If you
>know Florida you would recognize that this hi res coastline makes a world of
>difference in realism.
>
>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screeni...
>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screeni...
>
>I found it impressive that USA Roads actually matches up perfectly with the
>new coastlines. Check out the roads lined up on the peninsulas.
>
>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screeni...
>
>My only complain is how jarring the landclass cuts away when it meets the
>water, tree shadows etc get cut in half. In all a small price to pay for a
>great improvement.
>
>Oh, and I forgot to mention the bridges... zillions of bridges... placed
>where they should be.
>
>Dallas
>

Looks GREAT!!

I can only hope to include the shores, rivers and streams in FS8.
Scott mentioned that putting in bridges was a lot of work. In the last
shot.. perhaps the expressway overpass (bridge) should be left out.
Either that or someone could develop `Bridges 2005'. :) 

What would it take to `cut-in' highway overpasses?


-Gregory
June 19, 2005 4:42:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Dallas wrote:
>
> Oh, and I forgot to mention the bridges... zillions of bridges...
> placed where they should be.
>

Finally got FL & St Barts downloaded, everything lookin great, until I saw
there were still no bridges in FL.
WTF - Varmit gets zillions and I get zilch!! What's wrong with this
picture?
www.cox-internet.com/tazman/NFB.jpg
The AI moving ships really spice it up, bridges or not!

Then I remembered TERRAIN_USE_VECTOR_OBJECTS was set on "0", and the
default.xml file was renamed, from days of yore, and after changing them
back, the wolves and lambs laid down together in peace....... For
now.........

That scenery is KEWL!!!

St Barts airport is fantastic, but the ship wakes look like they're towing a
runway (long dark strip in contrast to the turquoise water) - I hate to
change any textures (using Peter Wilding's) since everywhere else looks so
good.. Oh well, only pass over them for a few seconds anyway....

Cheers'n Beerz.... [_])
Don
June 19, 2005 11:38:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"CRaSH"
> www.cox-internet.com/tazman/NFB.jpg

Interesting note, notice how jarring the transition from land to water is?
I began to pay attention to how FS9 does it last night and FS9 landclass
textures have a "soft edge" and all land-water edges have at least a small
brown beach. It's a tribute to how nicely FS9 is done.

> Then I remembered TERRAIN_USE_VECTOR_OBJECTS

Another victim of over-tweaking.

Where are your USA roads? I don't see them. Did you move them up in the
scenery priority like you were supposed to?

> St Barts airport is fantastic, but the ship wakes look like they're towing
a
> runway (long dark strip

Do your ships move? Mine don't. I must have put the AF file in the wrong
folder. Hum just checked.. I didn't.

Hey, the wake is not a function of water textures, it should be an "effect".
Did you move all the files in the St Barts Effects folder to the FS9 Effects
folder?

Dallas
June 19, 2005 11:38:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Dallas wrote:
>
> Where are your USA roads? I don't see them. Did you move them up
> in the scenery priority like you were supposed to?
>

Of course I did..... Right after you mentioned it....... Didn't see this
mentioned in the readme, but it makes sense so they're back up to numero
uno. I was so smitten with the other sights I didn't even notice..

>> St Barts airport is fantastic, but the ship wakes look like they're
>> towing a runway (long dark strip
>
floating runway = www.cox-internet.com/tazman/wake.jpg
ships don't move, and the effect doesn't do much either..

> Do your ships move? Mine don't. I must have put the AF file in the
> wrong folder. Hum just checked.. I didn't.
>
> Hey, the wake is not a function of water textures, it should be an
> "effect". Did you move all the files in the St Barts Effects folder
> to the FS9 Effects folder?

the effects files from St Bart are for stack smoke (don't recall seeing much
of that either, come to think of it) - however may have seen some for wake
in FFL - and they work very well!
The wake water is too dark, and the other maybe too bright, but is still
better than default. The wakes in FFL look perfect!

>
> Dallas
June 20, 2005 1:25:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 19:38:47 GMT, "Dallas"
<Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> brought the following to our
attention:

>"CRaSH"
>> www.cox-internet.com/tazman/NFB.jpg
>
>Interesting note, notice how jarring the transition from land to water is?
>I began to pay attention to how FS9 does it last night and FS9 landclass
>textures have a "soft edge" and all land-water edges have at least a small
>brown beach. It's a tribute to how nicely FS9 is done.


Abrupt Transition

Are you describing `two sides of the coin'? The land edge of the
inlet or `dock areas' is abrupt? while the oceans have beach textures
applied? If the scene was out in the wilderness.. then a pond or lake
could be `cut into' the terrain bitmap without much notice.. however
in the urban areas the transition may be more striking.


Bridges

It's been said that adding the bridges to the new `shores' is lots of
work.. and you could imagine doing it for a whole region, nation
(oops), continent, or even the world. As detail improves.. it raises
the spec for other scenery elements. For the `bridge overpass' effect
one would possibly need `Spot micro-mesh'.

Does that mean 3m? 1m? :) 



More Shore Paks

Any such thing exist for London? in payware? Wouldn't it be great to
see California Shores from San Diego to at least Bay Area? Hopefully
Scott & Co. will next add the Chesapeake to existing NEFF.


here's the forum: http://fs-freeflow.com/ to post shots / comments.



-Gregory
!