Installing Software for access by all users in Windows XP

I am running Windows XP home. I have set up the owner account with
administrator privileges & set up multiple users with limited privileges. I
have installed software as the owner. I login as user & the program is in the
start menu, but when I attempt to access, I get an error that states I must
have administrator privileges to access. Is there a way to install programs
so that all users (even limited) can access?
3 answers Last reply
More about installing software access users windows

    Scott K wrote:
    > I am running Windows XP home. I have set up the owner account with
    > administrator privileges & set up multiple users with limited
    > privileges. I have installed software as the owner. I login as user
    > & the program is in the start menu, but when I attempt to access, I
    > get an error that states I must have administrator privileges to
    > access. Is there a way to install programs so that all users (even
    > limited) can access?

    This is quite common if the software was designed for Win9x/Me, or
    if it was intended for WinNT/2K/XP, but was improperly designed. Quite
    simply, the installation routine for this application doesn't "know"
    how to handle individual user profiles, or the application tries to
    make changes to "off-limits" sections of the registry. Quite often,
    you can make this software available to other users by _copying_ the
    Start Menu folder and Desktop folder shortcuts from the user profile
    from which the software was installed in the corresponding folders in
    the user profile(s) in which you'd like the software to be accessible.
    If the application is something that can/should be made available to
    all current and future users, copying the shortcuts into the
    corresponding locations of the All Users profile will do the trick.

    NOTE: This may not work if the software requires access to parts
    of the hard drive and/or registry that are not normally accessible to
    regular users. (This won't occur if the application was properly
    written.) If this does prove to be the case, however, you're left
    with two options: Either grant the necessary users appropriate higher
    access privileges (either as Power Users or local administrators), or
    replace the application with one that was properly designed
    specifically for WinNT/2K/XP.

    Some Programs Do Not Work If You Log On from Limited Account
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307091

    Additionally, here are a couple of tips suggested, in a reply to a
    different post, by MS-MVP Kent W. England:

    "If your game or application works with admin accounts, but not with
    limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the
    program files folder with "change" capability rather than "read" which
    is the default.

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:c

    where "appfolder" is the folder where the application is installed.

    If you wish to undo these changes, then run

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:r

    If you still have a problem with running the program or saving
    settings on limited accounts, you may need to change permissions on
    the registry keys. Run regedit.exe and go to HKLM\Software\vendor\app,
    where "vendor\app" is the key that the software vendor used for your
    specific program. Change the permissions on this key to allow Users
    full control."

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    Scott K wrote:
    > I am running Windows XP home. I have set up the owner account with
    > administrator privileges & set up multiple users with limited
    > privileges. I have installed software as the owner. I login as user &
    > the program is in the start menu, but when I attempt to access, I get
    > an error that states I must have administrator privileges to access.
    > Is there a way to install programs so that all users (even limited)
    > can access?

    HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783&Product=winxp

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
    Folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419&Product=winxp

    Doug's Windows XP Security Console

    Windows XP is a multi-user OS, even when used by one person only, the
    fundamentals don't change.

    Documents and Settings is the directory that contains your user
    information/documents/etc. It also contains a few extra directories used by
    Windows.

    One is "Default User" - This is used whenever a new account is created. It
    bases the initial setup of that account off this directory.

    Another is "All Users" - This is used by.. all users. If you want something
    to appear on the desktop of every user of the machine, you put it on this
    users desktop (in the desktop folder.) Etc.

    You may also see "Administrator" - depending on your setup, this is the
    original administrator user and if you know that account's password, you
    should leave him alone and use him only in an emergency.

    You could also (if you have it where you can see ALL files) see
    "LocalService" and "NetworkService" folders. These are service accounts,
    normally unused by the standard user.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Hi,

    See: http://users.westelcom.com/rogersr/xpsware.htm

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Scott K" <ScottK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am running Windows XP home. I have set up the owner account with
    > administrator privileges & set up multiple users with limited privileges.
    > have installed software as the owner. I login as user & the program is in
    > the
    > start menu, but when I attempt to access, I get an error that states I
    > must
    > have administrator privileges to access. Is there a way to install
    > programs
    > so that all users (even limited) can access?

Windows XP Microsoft Software