Need advice on Mobile AMD 3000+

Belac

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
I've had my laptop for well over year now and it has never let me down, but it's starting to show its age. I don't want to spend the money on a new computer until I at least see how well the Conroe and AM2 chips perform when they are released.

My question is how much of a MHz gain can I expect, and what kind of difficulties can I expect that may not be a problem in a desktop. Also, if anyone knows a guide the covers overclocking Mobile AMDs it'd be appreciated if you could share it. The laptop is an E-machines M6805. I have listed a bunch of specs I found using CPU-Z:

Name: Mobile AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Code Name: ClawHammer
Specification: Mobile AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
Package Socket: 754
CPU Clock Speed: 1804.1 MHz
Clock multiplier: x 9.0
HTT Bus Frequency: 200.5 MHz

Motherboard manufacturer: eMachine
Motherboard model: Shadow-K8, KBC Revision: 3308
BIOS vendor: Phoenix
BIOS revision: 0F08.P00
BIOS release date: 08/11/2004
Chipset: VIA K8T800 (VT8383) rev. 01
Southbridge: VIA VT8235 rev. 00

For RAM I have 2 sticks of Samsung DDR-SDRAM PC2700 - 256 MBytes
The timings for the RAM are: 2.5-3-3-7

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Generally, overclocking any OEM desktop is limited at best. Overclocking a laptop is even worse and also not recommended since your options on cooling the CPU are so restricted. More than likely you will not be able to overclock anything in the BIOS because there won't be any settings for it.

There are some programs out there that allow you to overclock via the BIOS, but I think they only work with newer (Socket 939) CPU. I could be wrong on this though and I still wouldn't recommend trying it.

I would suggest upgrading the laptop in others ways such as more memory to increase performance. Sell the 256mb on eBay and see what 512mb or maybe even 1gb would run you. There are also various "guides" available online to help you tweak Windows XP for more performance. Try googling for them and see what you can come up with.

If you're really good with hardware you MIGHT be able to upgrade the processor, but I would really do some solid research on the issue before spending money, opening up the case and voiding your warranty.