Custom watercooled SLI System

Damelon

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
FX-57 CPU (@3.08ghz) 220 x 14
Xoxide UFO Case (9x 120mm fans) - 18" Cube. Modded with custom Zalman fan controller on the front, 2nd power switch, and fillport on top.
Twin Power Supplies: PC P&C 510 SLI PSU & Enermax Noisetaker 600W SLI PSU
2gb Crucial Ballistix Ram
2x WD Raptor in Raid 0 (In Nexus enclosures)
2x XFX 7800GTX Graphics Cards (495 / 1.31) SLI
Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Sound
2x Water Cooling lines, each with with Danger Den mag pumps & water blocks. One with Fillport, One with Reservoir. Two Single 120MM Radiators and One 2x 120MM Radiator.
Creative Gigaworks 7.1 Surround
Dell 2405fpw 24" Widecreen LCD Monitor.

Pics : http://damelon.photosite.com

All of the fans are now the ultra-quiet neon blue (previously the radiator fans were black and had a much higher CFM, but I could keep the same overclock with the quieter fans and make the case even with LEDs.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Nice rig man, hey you should submit your photo to Club SLI in Nvidia. You might win and get a rig of the month fame. :D That's a sick set up you got there, looks pretty cool. :D

I've been tryin to submit my old Macintosh to some competition but I never got any response. :D

Obsiously your posting just for bragging rights. Show off!

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Nice rig man !

I have been pondering whether or not to get one of those cubes, they look awesome. Is it possible for you to post pics of the inside? i want to see how everything is configured and how much room is actually in one of those boxes with it filled with hardware.

Also check out PimpRig, they got some "pimped rigs" on there, they have contests too.

Damelon

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
As for the Club-SLI Comment.. done! Thanks for the info.

I will try to get some pics of the inside of the case, but I tell you, it was the biggest pleasure I've ever had building a system. There is a ton of room. The top comes off, both side panels come off, the whole motherboard rack comes out, the hard drive rack comes out, and the 5.25 bay comes out. All of them use nice thumscrews so you can do it by hand. Plus if you put the wheels on then you can roate it around while you are assembling it. Basically it's an 18" cube and can be completely emptied. So if you got a 18" cube cardboard box, it's exactly like that. You really do have enough room for anything you want to put into it.

I added some photos of the empty case from a couple of reviews I found so you can get a better idea how it comes apart.

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Thanks for the pics man, that looks friggin awesome !

I think that has sealed the deal....the next case i get will be one of those. I will probably end up getting it when i get enough cash to watercool as well, and just make the jump all at once.

Another quick question....what all do you have watercooled in that system? CPU, GPUS, RAM, HDD? When i do watercool, i will probably get 2 setups, 1 for CPU and RAM, and 1 for GPU and HDD's but was wondering what your config was and how effective it is? I dont need everything to be insanely cool, but i want my CPU in the 35-40C range at load (ATM its 52C @ load) and am hoping for my GPU to be 60-65C at load (ATM its approx 75-85C @ load).

Again, props to you man...sweet job.

Damelon

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Thanks for the pics man, that looks friggin awesome !

I think that has sealed the deal....the next case i get will be one of those. I will probably end up getting it when i get enough cash to watercool as well, and just make the jump all at once.

Another quick question....what all do you have watercooled in that system? CPU, GPUS, RAM, HDD? When i do watercool, i will probably get 2 setups, 1 for CPU and RAM, and 1 for GPU and HDD's but was wondering what your config was and how effective it is? I dont need everything to be insanely cool, but i want my CPU in the 35-40C range at load (ATM its 52C @ load) and am hoping for my GPU to be 60-65C at load (ATM its approx 75-85C @ load).

Again, props to you man...sweet job.

Right now the CPU and Chipset are on one line and the GPUs are on the 2nd line. I didnt want the CPU/GPU heat to mix so this keeps them seperately cooled. Plus keep in mind the less tubing, the higher the waterflow. Those MAG pumps are very small and are so quiet you dont even know they are on. I think they are 1" cubes. They fit anywhere.
As far as RAM cooling, there were very few options when I built the thing (last fall). They just started coming out with some RAM water cooling options, but they use smaller tubing. (I am using 1/2" tubing). I can get some re-sizing options, but that means I would need to empty out my lines, which could get messy. This was the first liquid-cooling I did, so I'm not experienced with taking it apart. I used non-conductive liquid, I think it was called PC Ice (from frozencpu.com). They also have some nice hdd cooling options now, but my current enclosures work fine so I don't need to worry about that.

Keep in mind, if you go to mountainmods.com they have a lot of variations on this case. They have smaller ones, different colors, different panel options, etc. They are well built though, and are great for custom jobs.

As for the X2 4800, yea.... i know. When the FX-60 came out I was equally groaning. From what I've seen the new Intel chips this fall will kick some serious ass, but no reason to cry over spilled milk. I'll upgrade it when a game demands it. Oblivion runs great, so I can't complain.

Damelon

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Id like to know how you got both PSU's to turn on when you hit the power button.

On the front center of the case I mounted a 2nd flip switch for power which plugs directly into the PSU's motherboard connector. Really all it is is a 2-pin crossover. One PSU controlls the Fans, Pumps, Lights, Hard Drives, and CDRom. I flip that on first, then press the main PSU button which powers just the main motherboard stuff (CPU, MB, RAM,Video).

Example Product:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186&products_id=3163

Damelon

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
What is noise level like ?

Surprisingly low. There is barely a difference with the case fans on or off. The PC P&C PSU I believe is the loudest thing in the box. Those case fans have a low audible hum, but it's relaxing rather than annoying. If I could find a way to quiet down the PSU, the noise would drop further. The Panflow fans I previously had (The non-neon ones in the pictures) were much much louder. These are coolermaster silent LED fans, and they really are silent. I'm very impressed by them, but their CFM is much lower than the Panflows are.