32bit to 64 bit upgrade. Can I re-use code?????

Thaizasaskand

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
:hello:
I am soon going to upgrade my PC by giving it a new motherboard and new RAM.
Since I am going to be upgrading to somewhere between 4 and 8 GB of RAM, I am aware that I will need to use a 64 bit OS to actually make the RAM upgrade worthwhile, as otherwise it'll only recognize 4GB (with only 3.4GB being usable). I have the retail version of Windows 7 home premium on my PC (and am currently using the 32 bit OS).
When I uninstall the 32 bit OS, does the license code for windows 7 (on the box) automatically become usable again, or do I have to do something first to make it recognize that I'm not actually using the 32 bit OS anymore?

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
When you re-install the OS it may or may not authenticate itself automatically. Worst case you have to call MS and tell them you are the legitimate owner and please activate my software. And if they give you any trouble about installing on new hardware, tell them that you old motherboard died and you had to buy a new one.

(If you have the OEM version of the OS, theoretically you could not do what you are doing unless your motherboard actually did die and was replaced.)

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I'm sorry to say that you cannot re-use a 32 bit product key to install 64 bit software, nor can you do it the other way around, you'll have to acquire a new key for 64 bit software.

However, you can re-use the old key on a different operating system if you so desire.

Edit: To clarify, you can automatically take that key and install it on a different system if you're no longer using the key on the original system. You don't need to call and ask microsoft and I haven't had any issues with authentication with windows vista or 7.

I believe you are not correct here.

To change a pc from windows-7 32 bit to 64 bit, you need to do a clean install using the 64 bit dvd that came with your retail package.
Retail allows you to freely transfer the license to another pc.
Activate, using the product code that came with your retail package.
Since your motherboard has changed, activation may think that you are trying to use the code for more than one pc., and you may have to answer some questions.
The critical one is if this copy of windows is being used on any other pc? The answer must be no.

galeener

Distinguished
Hmm I had to rma my mother board and rebuild my system using the same code I had before but went from 32 bit to 64 bit vista using the retail version I had bought.
The only thing I did while waiting for the RMA was contact microsoft and ask for the 64bit dvd.
They sent it out for the price of shipping.
When you get a reatil copy you can use it on any system and it is good for both 64/32 you just have to have the dvd/cds.
Of course you can only use it on one system at a time though.
I beleive its the same for win 7.

Actually, it works with oem also. You need to borrow a 64 bit dvd to do the install, since oem comes only with one dvd, and you may not even get that with a pre-built like a laptop.
I successfully did this with a laptop, using an upgrade dvd and the laptop oem code.

TRENDING THREADS