Sign in with
Your question

Vista delay cuz of Conroe?

Last response: in CPUs
March 27, 2006 7:46:52 PM

MS delayed the launch of Vista to Jan 2007. some said that it is because of Viiv, and some said its because that Conroe.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30552

does conroe has 64bit capability? anybody have any thoughts?

More about : vista delay cuz conroe

March 27, 2006 7:50:41 PM

Quote:
MS delayed the launch of Vista to Jan 2007. some said that it is because of Viiv, and some said its because that Conroe.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30552

does conroe has 64bit capability? anybody have any thoughts?

Yes, Conroe has EM64T, but I suspect (Some fanboy will say I'm wrong) that it uses the crappy implementation that P4 uses and will suck compared to O64 and A64.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
March 27, 2006 7:58:43 PM

Business editions of Vista will available to volume licensing customers as scheduled, just not to consumers.
Related resources
March 27, 2006 7:59:50 PM

So unlikely. As if MS is going to miss the best time of the year just for intel.

And what rich said.
March 27, 2006 8:00:15 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised that this is the case at all. I'm sure Intel and Microsoft are working together.

As far as the 64 bit thing goes, yes, Conroe will have 64 bit. The current P4's apparently don't work as well with 64 bit as AMD. Not sure how the Conroe chips are gonna do as far as performance goes. I guess we'll have to wait and see once it's released.
March 27, 2006 8:01:48 PM

Quote:
So unlikely. As if MS is going to miss the best time of the year just for intel.

And what rich said.

They made an OS for Intel Itanium.... :roll:

March 27, 2006 8:02:39 PM

I'd imagine that they'd use a good implementation of x86-64. It'd be rather foolish to add in heaps of new things and not do that.

We'll wait and see.
March 27, 2006 8:03:16 PM

Quote:
They made an OS for Intel Itanium....

Yeah and they put alot of effort into it.
March 27, 2006 8:03:49 PM

Quote:
I'd imagine that they'd use a good implementation of x86-64. It'd be rather foolish to add in heaps of new things and not do that.

We'll wait and see.

EM64T is a rebranded AMD64, Intel literally, IIRC, is licensed from AMD to use AMD64, they just named it EM64T and did some minor changes.

March 27, 2006 8:04:20 PM

Quote:
They made an OS for Intel Itanium....

Yeah and they put alot of effort into it.

Can't help that the processor sucks, I blame the 128-bit Front Side Bus and L3 Cache.

March 27, 2006 8:05:29 PM

So true man. What we don't really know is, how Intel will change or if they're going to change the 64 bit instructions within their chipsets. As Mike said, probably not. I've never used Intel or AMD in 64 bit mode so, i'm not going to judge just based on benchmarks. I do have Linux setup on my Opteron machine (dual boot) but, heh, I keep gaming on it all the time and haven't had the time to mess with it. :lol: 

Oh, and BTW, GET A NEW KEYBOARD .. :lol:  just kidding
March 27, 2006 8:06:13 PM

I was under the impression they reverse engineered x86-64 and came up with their own half assed version.

Quote:
Can't help that the processor sucks

No sh!t. Still minimal effort was applied.
March 27, 2006 8:08:10 PM

Quote:
So true man. What we don't really know is, how Intel will change or if they're going to change the 64 bit instructions within their chipsets. As Mike said, probably not. I've never used Intel or AMD in 64 bit mode so, i'm not going to judge just based on benchmarks. I do have Linux setup on my Opteron machine (dual boot) but, heh, I keep gaming on it all the time and haven't had the time to mess with it. :lol: 

Oh, and BTW, GET A NEW KEYBOARD .. :lol:  just kidding

Hey, you should run FC5 x86_64, I hear it's 75% improvement over XP x64 which is 10% over 32-bit, and 85% increase in Memory Bandwidth & CPU performance isn't anything to shun.

@Action: I'm 99.999% positive Intel licensed out x86_64 from AMD's AMD64. I heard a rumor that Windows XP x64 was made using Dual AMD Opteron 64 CPU's, not sure of the validity.

March 27, 2006 8:08:28 PM

Or maybe it's just not finished?

The last build of Vista I had (I think was Beta 1) was super unstable - it seemed to me that MS had a lot of work to do to get the OS ready for the previous shipping date. Q1 '07 seems like a much more realistic launch date, seeing as they're going for about a billion different variants.

I was thinking, though, MS would surely be more concerned about missing the Xmas rush and keeping Dell, HP et al happy than Intel, who at the end of the day aren't actually physically buying Vista for resale.
March 27, 2006 8:09:57 PM

I ran Vista Beta 1 x86 on a Workstation and Laptop, and I ran Vista Beta 1 x64 on a Workstation, I only got it to BSoD once on me and that was when I tried to get it to crash, other than that it seemed stabled.

March 27, 2006 8:11:44 PM

Same here. Beta 2 is even more stable.
March 27, 2006 8:12:31 PM

Quote:

Beta 2 is out? I thought it was coming soon, I'll have to grab a copy and try it out.

March 27, 2006 8:14:34 PM

Quote:
I only got it to BSoD once on me and that was when I tried to get it to crash

Nice!

It never BSOD'd for me (I only used x86) but it just seemed like it was doing a lot more 'thinking' than XP ever did, just little irritating things. I had one of the later Longhorn builds which was better, but Beta 1 for me was more akin to one of the earlier Longhorn builds with WinFX - eating resources.
March 27, 2006 8:16:51 PM

yeah, I was reading up on FC5 the other day and thought about it. I installed SUSE on it and really like the UI. Now, if I can just figure out how to get my windows games to run and see how they run on Linux, i'll move away from Windows altogether on that box.

Linux is awesome but i'm such a noob with it. :mrgreen:
March 27, 2006 8:19:47 PM

I think so, the build scheme they're using is retarded. 5308 is feature complete and its solid as.
March 27, 2006 8:20:07 PM

Quote:
I only got it to BSoD once on me and that was when I tried to get it to crash

Nice!

It never BSOD'd for me (I only used x86) but it just seemed like it was doing a lot more 'thinking' than XP ever did, just little irritating things. I had one of the later Longhorn builds which was better, but Beta 1 for me was more akin to one of the earlier Longhorn builds with WinFX - eating resources.

LOL I loved WinFS, gotta love WINFS.EXE LOL @ THAT!!! You could end it and crash the OS, LOLLOL!!!

I had 1GB and 2GB of RAM (for x86 and x64 respectively) and it seemed that the Beta 1 was nice. The Alpha Build I had was sh!t, the OS took 500MB and I couldn't install anything, it sucked. Not to mention the hassle I had to install it, sheesh :roll:.

March 27, 2006 8:23:19 PM

I'm sure WinFS (not FX - doh!) would have done something wonderful - if they could actually get it to work!

For once they did something sensible and left it alone! Although they'll probably ressurect it at some stage.

Have they bought back that side-bar thing yet? It was a terribly 'Apple-esque' thing for MS to try and include. I don't remember it being in B1.
March 27, 2006 8:25:08 PM

Quote:
I'm sure WinFS (not FX - doh!) would have done something wonderful - if they could actually get it to work!

For once they did something sensible and left it alone! Although they'll probably ressurect it at some stage.

Have they bought back that side-bar thing yet? It was a terribly 'Apple-esque' thing for MS to try and include. I don't remember it being in B1.

Nah, but I heard that some or one of the versions of Vista Final Build will have the sidebar thing back, it's kinda gay. They have WinFS so you can install it on a Windows XP Machine, I tried to but kept giving me a bunch of errors so I said 'screw it'.

IMHO, NTFS is perfectly fine, and FAT32 is great too but I have lots of files over 4GB so FAT32 is no-no for me. What computers need is CHEAP 10GbE, because RAMDisks and High-Performance Servers are suffering from 1GbE, which after the Overhead and 8B/10B is taken into effect, you're left with 60-100MB/s, which is puny.

March 27, 2006 10:54:49 PM

Quote:
some said that it is because of Viiv, and some said its because that Conroe.

No where in that article does it even suggest Vista was delayed for Viiv or Conroe. The article doesn't even mention Conroe. Quit putting a spin on stuff.
March 27, 2006 10:56:28 PM

Quote:
some said that it is because of Viiv, and some said its because that Conroe.

No where in that article does it even suggest Vista was delayed for Viiv or Conroe. The article doesn't even mention Conroe. Quit putting a spin on stuff.

When's the funeral so I can pay my respects? :p 

March 27, 2006 10:58:24 PM

Sorry... I'm not getting it. Funeral for whom/what?
March 27, 2006 11:00:10 PM

Quote:
Sorry... I'm not getting it. Funeral for whom/what?

You sounded like he killed your dog, people get pissed and attack others or say things when somebody kills their dog and well...you ruined the joke f*cker! lol j/k ;) .

March 27, 2006 11:05:51 PM

Quote:
Lame.

Oh ya? Well so's your FACE!! DISSSSS! lol ;) .

March 27, 2006 11:07:44 PM

That was even worse.
March 27, 2006 11:15:37 PM

Oh i see. Well, I'm not angry with him or anyone. I just don't like it when people put a spin on something... esp. this whole Conroe battle. (it's getting old)
March 27, 2006 11:30:32 PM

Just as a general quandry, where the hell is everyon getting Vista Beta1/2? Legaly or Illegaly? Just curious.

I ask because I remember testing *i think* beta 2 of win xp pro for $15 or somethign stupid like that, and was wanting to test vista in the same manner.
March 27, 2006 11:32:37 PM

I personally obtained it illegally, but I know somebody who's part of Microsoft IT Tech Network (or w/e the f*ck it's called) and they get beta's and such for free to test.

March 27, 2006 11:34:17 PM

Quote:
I personally obtained it illegally, but I know somebody who's part of Microsoft IT Tech Network (or w/e the f*ck it's called) and they get beta's and such for free to test.

Then to my secretly locked basement where I do all my illegal work it is!!!
March 28, 2006 3:46:31 AM

bit torrent and IRC stud. illegal of course. M$ doesn't really object though- in many ways it actually helps them that people are getting it illegally. M$ kinda gave up on trying to keep BETA releases out of the hands of pirates after WinXP. It's futile and the time bombs work anyways.

www.winbeta.org is the group that releases BETA stuff. (note: you can't get it from there, but you can read about it)
March 28, 2006 4:05:13 AM

Bittorrent I am a fan of, but I never really got into IRC. I only used it to download hacked xbox bios and dashboards. I went perusing google and inside 1 min I found a like to Beta 2 build 53xx of Vista, not bad for 1 min of work..... now to download it lol.
March 28, 2006 4:27:15 AM

You sure it's BETA 2? I didn't think it was out yet...

I was waiting for Avalon/WPF to show up in Vista before I messed with it. Anyways, if you install lemme know if it has Avalon in it.

I used to hang in IRC a lot. It's funny cause IRC has been around forever now and it's still the primary method of warez distribution. The feds can never shut down IRC networks.
March 28, 2006 4:33:39 AM

Quote:
Good, Im glad MS is making efforts to make its OS' more stable. **Cough 98, Cough.
March 28, 2006 4:33:42 AM

I think they're not doing a beta 2 (by name) instead they're just going with the whole CTP thing.
March 28, 2006 4:35:37 AM

OK... so CTP was/has already been released correct? Anyone know of WPF is in it? (avalon)
March 28, 2006 4:36:56 AM

Ya, they're doing monthly CTP's.
March 28, 2006 5:17:17 AM

I'm just curious to know if I'm the only one disappointed about Windows Vista? It seemed nice but it runs a lot of "3D" objects on the desktop and in the files (which makes it run slower) and there are five versions of Vista only one of which has DX10 on it, and the one that has DX10 you have to pay for monthly??? Not only that but there is a line up of games that are coming out after the release of Vista that you MUST have Windows Vista version that has DX10 which again you have to pay monthly to be a part of the club.... Please tell me I'm not the only one thats upset about this?? :cry: 
March 28, 2006 6:11:53 AM

I'm dissappointed with Vista thus far.

So far I've used it on my PCs (all fairly average spec, 2-3ghz, 512-1gb RAM) and it's been slow and unreliable on all.

You're right - all those 3D options are slowing it down. MS havent done a good job of integrating it into the GUI yet; it just feels like XP GUI with bells and whistles sort of lamely stuck on with superglue. Apple OSX is obviously much more stable, but manages to fit 'flashy 3D bits' in much better - I.E. to serve the OS, not to make sure that you'll be spending plenty of time ordering RAM and new CPUs every time you need to install something new.

The idea of charging a monthly subscription to Windows sounds like a terrible one to me. I know gamers will want to perhaps pay extra for DX10, but I'm pretty sure it's only obsessive 3D-Mark-ers who will end up paying for it. The rest of us will either stick with XP or go for an 'inferior' model of Vista.

Have MS confirmed the final number of 'editions' yet? I'd like to know what people think of having to pay extra for DX10 etc...
March 28, 2006 6:15:51 AM

I would most assuredly believe the delay has nothing to do with Conroe. People seem to be giving much too much credit to a processor that isn't even out yet.
March 28, 2006 6:44:11 AM

I believe M$ would delay vista, if Intel asked. I also believe that the engineers would be happy to see conroe run on XP for a while.
A part of me also believes that, in 64 bit, conroe will not perform as well as K8.
March 28, 2006 6:49:01 AM

Thier last court settlement allows Intel to use Amd's X86 tech, without license. Had they bought a license, they could bitch about the errors in the documents they based thier EM64T on. It was older material, and did not include the last few updates. It was also based on those, that Intel decided they didn't need all of the extra registers.
March 28, 2006 7:21:16 AM

Quote:
Microsoft delivered five different versions of the Windows XP operating system, but these different versions were aligned with specific types of PC hardware instead of with the different ways people use their PCs. For instance, Windows XP Professional Tablet PC Edition is designed for mobile PCs and supports handwriting recognition. Windows XP Media Center Edition serves as a hub for your home entertainment system. And Windows XP Professional x64 Edition enables the use of cutting-edge 64-bit processors. But what if you're looking for a single operating system that can connect to your TV, run on a mobile PC that supports handwriting recognition, serve as the hub of your home entertainment system, and take advantage of 64-bit performance and security? With Windows XP there is no offering that gives you this much flexibility

What's the point?

This whole thing is about marketing strategy and not about creating a good OS. Until now I always thought as MS as a great software company with a kick-ass business. Now its a great business, with a small department in the middle that makes software.

XP MCE was the only real 'different' offering of XP, and you've been able to add a :o  shock horror :o  TV CARD, DVD-RW and a different media player for ages. As for saying XP x64 was any different to XP - in practise was it really any different? And HE was all but forgotten about the time that everyone started using FCKGW for Pro.

To have 5 tiers of Vista makes no sense at all - why not just 1 for business, and then maybe 2 AT MOST for home. It don't make no sense.
March 28, 2006 7:43:54 AM

XP already has two vers for business (1 cd key per install or multiple install key) and two vers for home. ( home and MCE). All they are really adding is a home enthusiast ver. No doubt this is the one you will need to rent DX10.
March 28, 2006 8:22:16 AM

Most of the reason Vista is slow is because you're using early builds with unoptimised drivers. In order to do all the 3D things they moved to WDDM drivers, early releases of Win 2k and XP suffered the same thing. The latest build 5342 (still pre beta 2) is a lot faster than Beta 1 and earlier CTP builds it even runs happily on my Pentium M 1.6/768Mb RAM. Microsoft have from now until RTM to optimise the code, the delay was cited as being because partners (dell was mentioned) requested it to allow them to have products ready at launch, the dealy is a good thing as it improves the chance of decent drivers and not half arsed DX10 games on launch.
!