Ready to pick out parts for custom PC

god9

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Hey there guys, I'm pretty new here on the forums, but I've always read the site. The reason why I'm posting here is because I'm ready to build another custom PC. 2 years back I built my own, but since then I've sort of lost track of all the new technology and whats what. It was a lot easier to pick parts way back then! Anyway, I've decide that this is going to be an all gaming PC, might be used for some typing up work, internet browsing, but nothing else serious. I've decided that I wanted an AMD Athlon 64 but not sure which model to go for, like what will give me the best performance for not spending much. I was thing of spending maybe $650- $700 max on that. For RAM, I've got no idea which to choose, just because there is so many brands. For my motherboard, I have no idea whatsoever, so if you can recommend some to me, that would be great. And what about power supply, what does the GeForce 7900 require? For video card, I was thinking that the BFG GeForce 7900 would be the way to go. And as for the HDD, DVD drive, floppy disk, soundcard, etc. I've already got everything. Also, I havn't gotten a case picked out yet, seen any cool ones around?

You guys can make other suggestions if you want, as you see fit. I havn't really got a set budget in place because I'm going to be working all summer, so I should be able to get enough cash. Thanks a lot guys, help is really appreciated.

-god9

Chil

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Well if you want to spend $650-700 on just the CPU, I don't know what to tell you. As a rule of thumb, single-core processors handle games better now, but with that price range I'd suggest a fast dual-core to get ready for future games supporting those types of procs.

Of course, you have alot of options, especially if you want to overclock. I'll give some suggestions for both overclocking and nonOC'ing.

AMD Opteron 165 - Amazing overclocker, but maybe you might want to move up to a 170 and have a higher stock frequency.

I can't comment much on the high X2's, but here's the most expensive AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Personally I'd go for an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ because it is only 200MHz slower and much cheaper.

In other aspects of the computer you should shoot for high quality 2GB(2 x 1GB) memory kits. Good manufacturers include Corsair, G.Skill, and OCZ. You need to know a budget for the video card. If you are willing to spend $650 on the CPU then I assume you could spend a pretty penny on the video card. Right now the ATI X1900XT pretty much reigns supreme. Of course if you want to spend more then you could go for an SLI setup, which I'm sure someone else can elaborate on. Dinner's done, so I'll cut this short. Good luck looking for your parts.

WOWchamp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
Go with the opteron 165 if your going to overclock, if you dont want to overclock or spend 1000$ on a CPU then go single core. Pickup something like an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ or 4000+.

The Opterons are really nice... the 165 can be OC'ed to beat a stock FX-60 which is sick IMHO.

Secondly I agree with the X1900XT. If your willing to dish out so much cash for the CPU then th X1900XT for 450$ is a thing to consider.. the R580 core is really nice.

As for the case, thats up to you but I like the Antec P-180. Has 3 120MM fans (which are quieter and push alot more air then 80MM's) and its made of steel so it will be sturdy (and heavy... probably close to 50lbs with all your stuff in it). Its very quiet also, which is a plus and its roomey inside.

Go with a good PSU.. trust me on this one. I suggest this 600W PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817194005

Get some PC3200 ram with good timings... somthing like 2-2-2-5 if you can. AMDS thrive on tight memory timings due to the on chip memory controller... the faster the better. And when you OC you can always run a memory divider.

With the 300-400$ you'll save by getting the opteron over the X2 you could get a much nicer monitor or even perhaps a good sound card and speakers. If you dont have SATA hard drives those could be worth looking into to... and if you really wana go nuts pick up a 150GB 10,000K RPM Raptor HDD.

Akifuddin

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
AMD 4000+ (Upgrade to dual-core processor later[Within next 6 months or so], 4200+ or better recommended)
X1900XT(X) 512MB
Asus A8N-E
Thermaltake Armor series full tower case
Antec TruePowerII 550W Power supply
Corsair XMS 2048MB RAM

Nice system and good luck! :D

DDay629

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Man, I wish I had that much cash to spend on all that awesome hardware. But I concur on the Opteron 165. Its base at 1.8 GHz, but has been said to be easily OC'd to 2.4 or even 2.6. Which is absolutely insane for a dual core. I would then say that you should get SLi, just cause you can, and for the marginal FPS difference in gaming. So, have fun with this. Get a modded case, get a Asus A8N32-SLi, and get liquid cooling if it fits your fancy. Of course with that set up, there really is no reason for it. All those parts run, fast, and cool.

DDay

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
AMD_logo.gif
http://www.amdcompare.com

Mainboards:
http://www.abit.com.tw/
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/

Ultraviolet

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Mobo: ASUS
RAM: Corsair
PSU: Antec or Seasonic
CPU: AMD Dual Core, coz you got the cash, make sure it has 1mb cache though ;)
GPU: Get the 7900GT, its great :)

Fungalberry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Man, I wish I had that much cash to spend on all that awesome hardware. But I concur on the Opteron 165. Its base at 1.8 GHz, but has been said to be easily OC'd to 2.4 or even 2.6. Which is absolutely insane for a dual core. I would then say that you should get SLi, just cause you can, and for the marginal FPS difference in gaming. So, have fun with this. Get a modded case, get a Asus A8N32-SLi, and get liquid cooling if it fits your fancy. Of course with that set up, there really is no reason for it. All those parts run, fast, and cool.

DDay

I don't suggest dual 7900GTs. There is a difference, but considering that a single 7900 can run any (haven't come across any yet that it can't) game at the highest resolution, there will be no noticable difference except more heat generated and watts used with two.