Cooling setup.... what should I do?

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Right... i want to improve the airflow within my Antec Lanboy case. As i've found through extensive playing on FEAR and Oblivion (Yes, i have that game and i'm addicted), the ambient case temps now rocket up as high as 40, presumably due to the Accelero X2 on the gfx card blowing all the hot air generated by my X1900XT. As a consquence, the air inside the case gets hot before it reaches the Zalman heatsink, so its cooling performance is somewhat hamstrung. I saw my CPU hit 48C the other day with the ambient case temp being 40C, when previous long period stress-tests only got the CPU to go upto 42C with a maxed case temp of 36C. Plus, the HDD is getting quite hot, i saw it hit the 33C mark when i'm used to have it around 28-29C. So, i'm starting to look into options on improving airflow. Should i get either get a fan card like the Vantec Spectrum Fan Card or the Powercolor Heat Buster in order to create more vertical airflow so to shift as much air towards the rear fan so improving the case temps, or to add a side fan (most likely to be a 80mm fan) by modding the perspex side window, so to increase the amount of cool air entering the case. So... any ideas or better suggestions? NOT watercooling.... i don't have the funds for such a venture.

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
Firstly, I would say that those temps you quoted are not excessive, and are nothing to worry about.

However, if this is a real concern to you, then we can look at the options you stated:

Vantec Spectrum Fan Card: I've had a quick look at this, and I don't think it will help much with airflow. If you place it lower than the gfx card, then I think it's just going to create turbulence within the case. If placed above, then it may take some of the hot air away from the back of the gfx card, but will blow it towards the hsf.

Powercolor Heat Buster: This looks a bit better, as it has rear vents. It is capable of taking hot air away from the gfx card (if placed below), but may also deprive the gfx card of air. I checked a review on this, and the temp reductions were not impressive (2-4C at most).

Side Fan: Seems a shame to mod that nice perspex window, but would certainly help airflow

Other options

Top fan: can't see from the images I have if the case has a top fan or not. If not, then you could mod the case to include one

Crossflow fan: The CoolerMaster Stacker case has an accessory called a CrossFlow Fan. It may be possible to mod the case to fit this (you would need to check dimensions, etc. to be sure)

Bottom fan: You could also consider modding the bottom of the case to add a fan (if there is room). You will need a filter on that to prevent excessive dust getting into the case.

Larger case with better ventilation.

linux_0

Splendid
Right... i want to improve the airflow within my Antec Lanboy case. As i've found through extensive playing on FEAR and Oblivion (Yes, i have that game and i'm addicted), the ambient case temps now rocket up as high as 40, presumably due to the Accelero X2 on the gfx card blowing all the hot air generated by my X1900XT. As a consquence, the air inside the case gets hot before it reaches the Zalman heatsink, so its cooling performance is somewhat hamstrung. I saw my CPU hit 48C the other day with the ambient case temp being 40C, when previous long period stress-tests only got the CPU to go upto 42C with a maxed case temp of 36C. Plus, the HDD is getting quite hot, i saw it hit the 33C mark when i'm used to have it around 28-29C. So, i'm starting to look into options on improving airflow. Should i get either get a fan card like the Vantec Spectrum Fan Card or the Powercolor Heat Buster in order to create more vertical airflow so to shift as much air towards the rear fan so improving the case temps, or to add a side fan (most likely to be a 80mm fan) by modding the perspex side window, so to increase the amount of cool air entering the case. So... any ideas or better suggestions? NOT watercooling.... i don't have the funds for such a venture.

I'm not sure what kind of case you have... I didn't see you mention it... forgive me if I'm blind...

Your best bet is to you use 120mm fans in the front and back to take air in and then blow it straight out the back if that is possible.

I would recommend Antec, Lian-Li, Silverstone, CoolerMaster, Thermaltake, etc

That should lower your ambient temp quite a bit.

Here's a case with 4 120mm fans... it's super expensive tho so just forget it...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811163057

Check these out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2010090007+1087008027&Subcategory=7&description=&srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice=&ATTR1=&ATTR2=&ATTR3=&ATTR4=&ATTR5=&ATTR6=&ATTR7=&ATTR8=&ATTR9=&ATTR10=&ATTR11=&ATTR12=&ATTR13=&ATTR14=2010090007+1087008027&ATTR15=

or these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2010090007+1087008026&Subcategory=7&description=&srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice=&ATTR1=&ATTR2=&ATTR3=&ATTR4=&ATTR5=&ATTR6=&ATTR7=&ATTR8=&ATTR9=&ATTR10=&ATTR11=&ATTR12=&ATTR13=&ATTR14=2010090007+1087008026&ATTR15=

Good luck

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I did say that i had an Antec Lanboy case [Link]

Anyhoo... I'm only really looking into options for helping keep me pc cool. The temp increase was only alarming since it was out of the norm compared to what i usually see when i play games or whatever.

Getting a new case is somewhat of a drastic measure, but i'll look into it. The only cheaper option is modding the perspex side window or getting the fan card. The case itself is not big/spacious enough to be able to fit a top fan, and there's no bottom fan either.

Hmmm... a little problem of mine... :?

linux_0

Splendid
I did say that i had an Antec Lanboy case [Link]

Anyhoo... I'm only really looking into options for helping keep me pc cool. The temp increase was only alarming since it was out of the norm compared to what i usually see when i play games or whatever.

Getting a new case is somewhat of a drastic measure, but i'll look into it. The only cheaper option is modding the perspex side window or getting the fan card. The case itself is not big/spacious enough to be able to fit a top fan, and there's no bottom fan either.

Hmmm... a little problem of mine... :?

Sorry I must be blind!

That case already has 2 120mm fans... are they both plugged in and working?

Is anything obstructing your airflow?

Your ambient shouldn't be that high.

vulefu

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
No, dont buy new case.

Every case need modding and extra money to invest in it.

The best thing is to do that alone.

You make your own playground.

It take a long time to sucseed.

But when you do achive that you will be experet in cooling.

And that is cool:)

--------------------

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Oh... the case itself... i changed the fans for higher output Akasa LED fans, and the only thing obstructing the intake fan is the HDD cage, but i only have one drive in place. Both are working just fine. I even changed the IDE cables so they are the rounded ones. I do have a lot of cables inside the case, but they all are rounded and organised, so they don't obstruct the airflow as much, so you can imagine why modding the side window seems like an attractive idea. Hell! I even removed the front fan guard of the case, and replaced it with a less obstructive one! Hmmm... a bit of a pickle huh? :?

linux_0

Splendid
Oh... the case itself... i changed the fans for higher output Akasa LED fans, and the only thing obstructing the intake fan is the HDD cage, but i only have one drive in place. Both are working just fine. I even changed the IDE cables so they are the rounded ones. I do have a lot of cables inside the case, but they all are rounded and organised, so they don't obstruct the airflow as much, so you can imagine why modding the side window seems like an attractive idea. Hell! I even removed the front fan guard of the case, and replaced it with a less obstructive one! Hmmm... a bit of a pickle huh? :?

Indeed... that is strange!

What is your average room temp?

Have you checked to see if the temp inside the case is in fact correct?

Some motherboard sensors are highly inaccurate or mis-calibrated.

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
My room temp is only slightly warmer than before, but not high enough in order to affect temperatures. I have the window open at the moment, to see if that helps, and i don't even have the heating on! If my pc were a prescott system I would suspect the pc of HEATING my room up, let alone the inside of the case. I reckon the X1900XT and the Accelero X2 dump loads of heat into the case, because this is evident when i play Oblivion for a long period of time, seeing the ambient case temp hit 42C instead of 40 in the case of a long stress test, so I need to find a way to shift the hot air upto the rear case fan or onto a blower fan in order to get rid of this heat that is building up inside the case. This is strange indeed, since i have the Zalman cooler pointed so it blows the hot air straight into the rear fan, so it can't be that. I've hardly modified the voltages on anything, except the RAM modules. Maybe the heat's getting trapped under the gfx card, and eventually builds up, affecting the cooling performance of all the fans inside. Damn it, i need a dremel, a fan, and some SERIOUS patience...

linux_0

Splendid
My room temp is only slightly warmer than before, but not high enough in order to affect temperatures. I have the window open at the moment, to see if that helps, and i don't even have the heating on! If my pc were a prescott system I would suspect the pc of HEATING my room up, let alone the inside of the case. I reckon the X1900XT and the Accelero X2 dump loads of heat into the case, because this is evident when i play Oblivion for a long period of time, seeing the ambient case temp hit 42C instead of 40 in the case of a long stress test, so I need to find a way to shift the hot air upto the rear case fan or onto a blower fan in order to get rid of this heat that is building up inside the case. This is strange indeed, since i have the Zalman cooler pointed so it blows the hot air straight into the rear fan, so it can't be that. I've hardly modified the voltages on anything, except the RAM modules. Maybe the heat's getting trapped under the gfx card, and eventually builds up, affecting the cooling performance of all the fans inside. Damn it, i need a dremel, a fan, and some SERIOUS patience...

Something like this might help:

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=90

combined with a few of these exhaust fans:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?DEPA=0&type=&description=slot+fan+&Submit=ENE&Ntk=all&N=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=20&Go.y=26

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Too bad that case did have a side fan. You could have directed the airflow out of the lower compartment, or force air in from the side, but I think the AC cooler work better with a side fan to pull air out.

The front intake looks like it maybe hindering airflow in. Can that bracket be taken out if you don't have anything in it?

This is what I'm seeing from NewEgg:

Antec - Super

Hope I'm looking at the same case.

Edit:
Doh.. looks like it is part of a support frame. Doesn't look like it can be taken out. Perhaps mounting another fan after might help? (of course that would be modding the case)

Heh, of course this may not work, but I reversed the airflow in my case.

Zalman 7700 - P4 2.66/533FSB

2nd last post I put my results - Last post added pic's.

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Right... i've just had an idea for the mean time... I'll probably invest in a dremel and a 80mm fan for the side eventually, but i'll see to what i can do... time for some improvising....

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Right... temporary solution was to add a high output (if somewhat noisy) 92mm fan (which I had lying around...) on the other side of the HDD cage, so to aid the 120mm fan at the front with the intake, blowing all the air right across the chipset and gfx card. I'll post later to see how this affects ambient case temps, but early signs are promising.

linux_0

Splendid
You could remove the PCI slot covers and bolt a fan in their place to suck the air out.

Or use the slot exhaust fans I suggested above.

35-888-309-01.JPG

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
So far i've managed to cut down the ambient case temps by 5C... a significant drop in temps. I'll probably invest in a quieter fan later, along with a decent blower fan to exhaust the hot air around the gfx card.

EDIT: Well, the fan is the stock fan from a Vapochill Micro heatsink which i modded.... a 92mm 67cfm monster fan... no wonder its so noisy... but at least it does the job

linux_0

Splendid
So far i've managed to cut down the ambient case temps by 5C... a significant drop in temps. I'll probably invest in a quieter fan later, along with a decent blower fan to exhaust the hot air around the gfx card.

EDIT: Well, the fan is the stock fan from a Vapochill Micro heatsink which i modded.... a 92mm 67cfm monster fan... no wonder its so noisy... but at least it does the job

You could Velcro or sticky tape a 120mm fan near the VGA card, remove the slot covers and have it exhaust the air out the back.that should drop the temp 5-10 degrees.

TRENDING THREADS