PartyChief

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Now that Dell has acquired Alienware, and Alienware offers AMD processors does that mean the Dell can use AMD products in more ways then just in the Alienware based products?

Does this mean that Alienware now will only use Intel Products?

I don’t know if this topic has been covered.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Now that Dell has acquired Alienware, and Alienware offers AMD processors does that mean the Dell can use AMD products in more ways then just in the Alienware based products?

Does this mean that Alienware now will only use Intel Products?

I don’t know if this topic has been covered.

Dell + Alienware = Something we're not talking about anymore.... :roll:

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

Dell plus alienware has been covered, but did anyone point out the possability of Dell selling a server for with two Aliens, like they did to
this poor lady?

Haha, funny article. Allow me to sum it up:

A small business had requested a worker to purchase two computers and "something to connect them". The lady called Dell and requested two computers and when she said she needed "something to connect them" they sold her a PowerEdge server rather than a crossover Cat5e cable.

Now the company is upset because it does not need a PowerEdge server but Dell will not refund the purchase that was made through its small business division.

My opinion: Don't have morons make orders that unexpectedly cost twice as much as what they should have. Shouldn't the lady have noticed that instead of costing her $2,000 for a couple computers that her order came to probably twice that? HER FAULT! Dell shouldn't be forced to take the product back and refund the money. However, it would be good business sense for Dell to allow the refund to be processed at the cost of the customer.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Now see, here's a prime example of someone who just doesn't want to do their homework.

I work for the local phone/internet company and I gotta tell ya, it's not an easy job supporting customers that have no clue about the internet, computers or anything to do with any of it. I cannot even begin to tell you how many people I've come across that are given a windows 95/98 machine, I go get their internet hooked up whether it's dial up or DSL, and the first question out of their mouth is, ok, how do I get on the internet? 8O

Whenever I try to tackle anything new, I research it and at least read about it somewhat before actually doing it. This woman who ordered these two machines and *laughing* server, should've at least asked the sales rep, what are my options in hooking up two different computers? Now, I realize she was in fact talking to Dell but damn, I would've at least done a bit more research first.

Who knows, maybe i'm wrong about this. All I know is, this is a good story to share with my grandkids .... when I get there :oops:

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Well.. I was an IT PC support tech. Its really funny to remember guys and gals that were certified in their jobs, but depended on me to help them with their laptops/desktops, and at times they didn't know.. allot. :lol:

I remember people trying to hook up the network card with a RJ11 or phone line to a switch or hub. Yes.. I was paid BIG bucks for fixing that. :cry:

endyen

Splendid
I think you might be missing a point here.
It turns out that the woman in question relied upon the technical ability of the sales person. During her phone conversation with the Dell rep, she thouroughly explained the companies situation, and thier needs. She was drasticly "upsold" I consider that being cheated, perhaps even false pretenses.
This is a rather rocky start for a small business. However, if they do somehow survive, I would be willing to bet there will be no more Dells in thier future. Repeat business is important to companies like Dell.
A little bad publicity goes a long way, as well.
The moral of this story is that Dell will take advantage of you. You can not trust them at all.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
The story seems a bit vague and short. I can understand a gal being taken advantage on the deal, in your point of view.

The small company that need the 2 PC systems, with also her boss stating "something to link them", pretty much is clear that they don't know what they needed.

And she had to have "technically-literate friend" explain that she didn't need a server to her this, though Dell explained "providing a solution that would allow for system growth in future."

Companies do grow. They should have hired that Chris guy in the 1st place when they decided to get PC's. I think any computer company would suggest that type of deal, and win her over to sign the check.

So the moral of the story doesn't necessarily mean to me...
"that Dell will take advantage of you."

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
they expected not to buy a server through the small business section...
They wanted to buy 2 computers and they contacted the BUSINESS section (unless they were ordering workstations?)

then again, i think the DELL worker is laughing his @$$ off at this.

Ara

I think you might be missing a point here.
It turns out that the woman in question relied upon the technical ability of the sales person. During her phone conversation with the Dell rep, she thouroughly explained the companies situation, and thier needs. She was drasticly "upsold" I consider that being cheated, perhaps even false pretenses.
This is a rather rocky start for a small business. However, if they do somehow survive, I would be willing to bet there will be no more Dells in thier future. Repeat business is important to companies like Dell.
A little bad publicity goes a long way, as well.
The moral of this story is that Dell will take advantage of you. You can not trust them at all.

I disagree with your viewpoint. It would be one thing for Dell to over sell her a few extras here and there. But when she ordered a server that probably cost at least $2,000 or more dollars a red flag should have done off. Consult the friend BEFORE you make the purchase, not after the fact.

I don't go straight into a car dealership and tell them, "I don't know what the hell I need, please rape me.". I do my research first and go in with a general idea of what I want and need.

TRENDING THREADS