RealScene DVD Landclass & Terrain Set

Arthur

I happen to be petting my piggy bank the other day as I am want to do now
and then, when I came to the conclusion that buying an add-on for FS9 might
be a fun thing to do with some leftover birthday present money which was
getting dusty.

So, I went to the Avsim store and after perusing what was available, I
decided to buy a DVD terrain and landclass enhancement program since I
didn't have one and was very curious how it worked. I picked out the
RealScene 2004, A Terrain and Landclass Data Set, on a DVD (fortunately, I
have a DVD drive on my computer which I got because I thought I might watch
movies, but I don't).

I paid $40 US for DVD plus $10 US shipping and handling which I considered
ridiculous, since it was just an ordinary CD sent in a bubble-wrap envelope
from Alabama to Toronto Canada. The stamp on the envelope was only $1.35 US
so I guess it was a better envelope than I thought. I should have kept it.
It took only a week for the charge to appear on my Visa bill and over three
weeks to get the thing in the mail. I might say this had me peeved a bit.

I installed the DVD which was very, very simple and lo and behold, the
U.S.A. jumped to life on my screen. In fact, the change was so dramatic, I
forgot all about the exhorbitant S & H. Up to now, I had poo pooed all
these 'terrain and landclass' claims made by the folks on here as
unnecessary since I thought FS9 was just fine as it was. However, I was
mistaken and hereby withdraw any remarks I may have made in the past (not
many), about scenery enhancements.

If I have any problem at all, it's with distant scenery showing up in muddy
brown, geometric shapes, and as I move over areas, they jump into focus.
It's almost as if I'm flying over a live being, as the earth's surface
appears to be alive with motion. Kinda scary. Any easy fixes for this?

This program only includes all 50 states of the U.S.A., the Virgin Islands
and Puerto Rico (I think). In view of this, I decided to make my summer
flying project one which will take advantage of RealScene 2004. I am in the
process of visiting each state alphabetically, landing at their capital.
Today, I visited Sacramento California and am on my way to Denver, Colorado.
I use my jets to get around from state to state and the Mooney to tour the
capital if I think there's anything worthwhile to see there. I spent a
lovely hour flying through the Grand Canyon when I visited Arizona. All in
all, a great flying tour with a wonderful enhancement program (sorry...no
screenies avalable right now).

I believe there is a RealScene DVD out there which takes in the whole globe,
but I passed it over because it uses 13 gigs of disc space and I didn't have
that much to spare. The one I got uses 3 gigs. The world one costs $60
U.S. PLUS shipping and handling, of course. Last time I checked the Avsim
store, I didn't see it for some reason. It may have been there, but these
weak old eyes miss things like that.

Anyway, I just thought I would recount my latest FS9 venture and spending
spree, because it doesn't happen too often : )

Arthur

GREGORY

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:47:05 -0400, "Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>I happen to be petting my piggy bank the other day as I am want to do now
>and then, when I came to the conclusion that buying an add-on for FS9 might
>be a fun thing to do with some leftover birthday present money which was
>getting dusty.
>
>So, I went to the Avsim store and after perusing what was available, I
>decided to buy a DVD terrain and landclass enhancement program since I
>didn't have one and was very curious how it worked. I picked out the
>RealScene 2004, A Terrain and Landclass Data Set, on a DVD (fortunately, I
>have a DVD drive on my computer which I got because I thought I might watch
>movies, but I don't).

and to hold several GB of data compared to 650MB on a CD..

>I paid $40 US for DVD plus $10 US shipping and handling which I considered
>ridiculous, since it was just an ordinary CD sent in a bubble-wrap envelope
>from Alabama to Toronto Canada. The stamp on the envelope was only $1.35 US
>so I guess it was a better envelope than I thought. I should have kept it.
>It took only a week for the charge to appear on my Visa bill and over three
>weeks to get the thing in the mail. I might say this had me peeved a bit.
>
>I installed the DVD which was very, very simple and lo and behold, the
>U.S.A. jumped to life on my screen. In fact, the change was so dramatic, I
>forgot all about the exhorbitant S & H. Up to now, I had poo pooed all
>these 'terrain and landclass' claims made by the folks on here as
>unnecessary since I thought FS9 was just fine as it was. However, I was
>mistaken and hereby withdraw any remarks I may have made in the past (not
>many), about scenery enhancements.

many are not bothered to explore hi-res Mesh and LC.. then all of a
sudden they go for it. possibly the reason is `installation fear'.

>If I have any problem at all, it's with distant scenery showing up in muddy
>brown, geometric shapes, and as I move over areas, they jump into focus.
>It's almost as if I'm flying over a live being, as the earth's surface
>appears to be alive with motion. Kinda scary. Any easy fixes for this?

is this a `buffer mesh' action (or lack of)? perhaps reduce MAX
visibility?

>This program only includes all 50 states of the U.S.A., the Virgin Islands
>and Puerto Rico (I think). In view of this, I decided to make my summer
>flying project one which will take advantage of RealScene 2004. I am in the
>process of visiting each state alphabetically, landing at their capital.
>Today, I visited Sacramento California and am on my way to Denver, Colorado.
>I use my jets to get around from state to state and the Mooney to tour the
>capital if I think there's anything worthwhile to see there. I spent a
>lovely hour flying through the Grand Canyon when I visited Arizona. All in
>all, a great flying tour with a wonderful enhancement program (sorry...no
>screenies avalable right now).

once you have 76m and even 38m Mesh.. then collect some 10m `spot'
Mesh like this view of Mount St. Helens (RT) ..for Jetliner Simming.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/MtStHelens.jpg (339k)

the mesh and LC work fine on slower hardware platforms. :)

>I believe there is a RealScene DVD out there which takes in the whole globe,
>but I passed it over because it uses 13 gigs of disc space and I didn't have
>that much to spare. The one I got uses 3 gigs. The world one costs $60
>U.S. PLUS shipping and handling, of course. Last time I checked the Avsim
>store, I didn't see it for some reason. It may have been there, but these
>weak old eyes miss things like that.
>

>Anyway, I just thought I would recount my latest FS9 venture and spending
>spree, because it doesn't happen too often : )

Setting up scenery can be daunting. Once one gets `the hang of it'..
the task then is to keep it all organized. If all is well.. there will
be NO crashes.. despite scores of addin /Scenery folders!

-Gregory