Q: Disabling 2nd card in SLI

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
Does anyone know I can disable my 2nd gfx card completely, fan and all without physically removing it, after gaming or whatever. Like in "low usage" times.

I use the display properties to disable sli, and also Ai selector, then restart, (by using Ai selector in windows, I don't have to disable in the BIOS, I can leave my BIOS setting @ AUTO, and then in windows, Ai Selector does the switching)

BUT THIS doesn't disable POWER to the 2nd card, it only changes Bandwidth... The fan on the 2nd card is still running....

How can I shut it down so it doesn't just sit there and burn up it's lifespan??? Again, w/out PHYSICALLY removing it.

Breman

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Ok I'm NOT running an SLI rig, but heres a thought, why not try and disable it in the device maneger? I don't know if this will help at all, but I gusse it's worth a try.

-Bre

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
You can disable it by selecting Single-GPU rendering and disabling it from the device manager but it would still be sucking power and the fan would still be running so you'll have to remove and store it in order to save it's lifespan. :D

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
You can disable it by selecting Single-GPU rendering and disabling it from the device manager but it would still be sucking power and the fan would still be running so you'll have to remove and store it in order to save it's lifespan. :D

Right Right. It sure would be nice to be able to disconnect the power to your pci-e via software somehow though huh?