Best defragging utilities?

doublehelix

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2005
I would have to second diskeeper 10. I have 8 and it works great, 10 has even more features.

I'll third DisKeeper, I have version 9 and I absolutely love it. It's a MUST HAVE for ANYONE who owns a computer...

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Diskeeper 10 is really a good defragger.

One caveat to Diskkeeper, it doesn't support hard drives over 500GB!!!!!! at least on the consumer version. Yeah I know that shouldn't be a big deal, but I had 2 300GB Diamondmaxs in RAID 0 and so I couldn't run it, I was less than pleased. So I switched over to O&O and it doesn't care what size HDD"s I have (or rather I haven't found its limit yet).

Just a FYI

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Just tried the perfectdisk 7 last night and found that it can't defrag in boot mode with an nforce2. Just comes up and says something about a driver error. Other than that it seems to work well though.

Just tried the perfectdisk 7 last night and found that it can't defrag in boot mode with an nforce2. Just comes up and says something about a driver error. Other than that it seems to work well though.

I don't think it's the chipset since the requirements are:
Hardware

* Intel/Intel Compatible processor
* Supported on 32-bit and x64-based Windows
* 64 MB RAM (128MB recommended)
* 6 MB Disk Space
* All levels of RAID are supported

Probably a software conflict.

ecosoft

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
Windows defrag provides nothing but monkey-motion displays showing "defrag" that is essentially meaningless to system performance because is leaves the MFT (master file table) totally untouched, thus system response time degrades continuously, which equals a hot CPU acting like a slug when running general applications. Haven't you ever noticed how snappy your system is immediately after reinstalling Windows, and how quickly (weeks) it turns into a response time slug? Diskeeper v10 (even cheapest Home version at $29.95) will cure the problems ... I use the Premier version for the facilities it provides. :D

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
diskkeeper... used it for years. did not know about the 500gig limit mentioned above, but I have never had a drive (or array) that big. Beyond that it works flawlessly.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I agree diskkeeper works well. I used it on my 120GB and 2 35GB raptor for a couple of years then i hit that damn 500Gb barrier with 2 300GB stripped and was forced ot find O&O. Between the two I have found very little diffrence. They both have auto defrag, scheduling, boot time defrag. The only diffrence I have noticed is O&O allows you to defrag by Access, Size, Or Name, as opposed to Diskkeeper just allwoing a total defrag (but then agian I haven't used diskkeeper since ver 8 i wanna say)

sixbone

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Perfectdisk 7 all the way. I've used Diskeeper as well and IMO it doesnt' compare at all. Once you've tried Perfectdisk you'll see the difference. I do a weekly defrag and my rig runs like the first day I installed xp.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I don't believe it. I think Windows defrag does jut as good a job. Is free and isn't yet another program installed clogging up the OS.

I'd like to be proven somehow that a 3rd party defrag is so much better. This must be an elementary technology by now.

Better yet is to use a GHOST type program to take a snapshot of your recently installed OS and core applications. Then whenever your system starts gettign sluggish just re-ghost it back to pristine condition. Only takes my 5 minutes to run the re-ghost. Beautiful thing.

alphakp295

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Diskeeper 10 is really a good defragger.

One caveat to Diskkeeper, it doesn't support hard drives over 500GB!!!!!! at least on the consumer version. Yeah I know that shouldn't be a big deal, but I had 2 300GB Diamondmaxs in RAID 0 and so I couldn't run it, I was less than pleased. So I switched over to O&O and it doesn't care what size HDD"s I have (or rather I haven't found its limit yet).

Just a FYI

well... let me get this straight...
i was going to use diskeeper 10...
and i have 1TB of RAID HDD...
which means... physical space is 1TB...
u mean it won't support 500GB of physical HDD?
or 500GB of Logical HDD?

alphakp295

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I don't believe it. I think Windows defrag does jut as good a job. Is free and isn't yet another program installed clogging up the OS.

I'd like to be proven somehow that a 3rd party defrag is so much better. This must be an elementary technology by now.

Better yet is to use a GHOST type program to take a snapshot of your recently installed OS and core applications. Then whenever your system starts gettign sluggish just re-ghost it back to pristine condition. Only takes my 5 minutes to run the re-ghost. Beautiful thing.

well true that ghosting is good and easy...
but he's just talking about defraggin util...
as for the windows defrag..
it SUX... i can't defrag large files..
i.e. for my large files... it can't defrag for shiat... all those big files, it cannot defrag!! damn that red color w/ cannot defrag... that's BS!
at least 3rd party DOES defrag 3 or 4gb of single file; never in windows...

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Logical. If I break my RAID 0 array of 2x300Gb and just have it as RAID 1 or 2 plain manilla hard drives it will defrag them fine. The catch is that Executive Software (makes Diskkeeper) thinks that if you have over 500GB you are a business, or server, or what not. So they make you buy a much beefier edition. Its just a arbitrarily imposed single logical drive size limit to keep businesses from buying the simple consumer level product and saving a boat load of money.

So when they come out with a 600GB harddrive Diskkeeper would not defrag it, same as the 2x300GB RAID 0. So either go O&O if you wanto keep your GIGANTIC 1Tb array (hehe), or keep the array size under 500GB. Like I have said before this limitation was in v8, and MAY have been upped since then, but I don't think so. Feel free to call me on it.

sixbone

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006

u are re ta did