Help me choose a motherboard

sullione

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Hello all, I'm new here and need a little advice on which motherboard to choose for my next build. The choices are the Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe and the Abit AN8 32X. I've been watching these forums for a few days and I know how most people feel about SLi but I want this option for the future. I plan on having this comp. for a few years...if not longer. I won't overclock right off the bat but again, I want the ability to do so. I will pair the board up with an Opteron 165. Thanks in advance.

sullione

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Why 4GB of RAM? Will it actually get used? Also, I believe both of these boards have very similar features so is it strictly a choice of preference or does one stand apart from the other? I don't really know all the technical stuff so that's why I'm asking here.

vulefu

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
You will ned 4gb when you one day put windows vista.

The games will be very r.a.m. demanding, and the vista herself.

The boards are both good.(You choose)

2GB is more than enough RAM for any modern rig that is used primarily for gaming. More than a 2x1GB and you will take a performance hit in RAM timings and Command Rate. IF you install Vista and see a significant performance hit, then you might think about upgrading RAM.

SLi. Waste of money and a bad upgrade path. You will spend less money and see a larger performance increase by getting a single, new generation card than getting a second card to go SLi - unless you game at very high resolutions and must have all of the eye candy enabled. Do some research on that topic. Go ask anyone who got a 6800GT IOT do SLi as an upgrade. That was trumped by the performance and low cost of the 7900GT...[/i]

sullione

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Rugger,

I appreciate your post. I only considered SLi as a future upgrade in the hopes that they would somehow "perfect" it (driver optimazations maybe???) if that's at all possible. As it stands right now, I will get a single 7900GT.

By the time that they perfect SLi, you may want a completely new rig or a single vid card may still perform outperform 2 from the previous generation. That being said if you want it as an option, then you're going the right direction with 2 full x16 paths and it is your money - you can spend it however you want. :wink:

sullione

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
That is true and I never thought about it that way. I still have some time to decide. Thanks for the input though. Any opinions on memory? I was thinking about 2 gigs of xms stuff but I'm open to suggestions.

I really tend not to go overboard on RAM. I buy good quality, but I don't spend a lot extra for low latencies or high overclockability. If I want to OC over my RAM's capability, then i'll run the RAM async. You'll lose a little performance potential, but it is not tat significant. The XMS 2x1GB is a good deal right nofter MIR - just make sur eyou take advantage of the rebate. If you're not buying for a while, then you might be able to take advantage of price drops when the new AM2 platforms hit the street....