Hung over between a 7900GTX and a X1900XTX.

FlowerPower

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I am not sure which one I should get. Price is also not an issue because I have the money to blow.

I was leaning over to the 7900GTX because I am used to Nivida drivers.(only have owned a nivida card). Ati drivers for some reason look to be complicated to install for some reason(to me).

I have heard that the X1900 XTX is faster than the 7900GtX but also it runs hotter and is loud ?

I just want the best available gaming card out there now.
I would appreciate some advice.

Ian

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2004
Go for SLI 7900 GTs, or Crossfire X1900XT. But as for your question, the X1900XTX is a better card in most games.

PX7800GT

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Hey I`m A nVIDIA FanBoy But I Must Say Go For X1900XTX :( , IT IS BETTER !
Any Way If You Plan To Buy 2 Card , I Have To Say That 7900GTX SLI is Better Than X1900XTX CrossFire :twisted:

That's indeed a tough call to make....

Were I limited to a single card solution, I'd be happy with either, honestly, but would probably go for the 7900GTX for it's strength in Doom3/Quake4 engined games.....

RichPLS

Champion
I am not sure which one I should get. Price is also not an issue because I have the money to blow.

I was leaning over to the 7900GTX because I am used to Nvidia drivers.(only have owned a Nvidia card). ATI drivers for some reason look to be complicated to install for some reason(to me).

The ATI drivers are smooth and polished, and ATI has excellent video capabilities built in that others pay extra for. Also ATI drivers have built in overclocking that you can overclock the XT in excess of XTX speeds making it a cheaper purchase. ATI has added AVIVO and accelerated performance features through monthly updated drivers that make them the best in the market.

I have heard that the X1900 XTX is faster than the 7900GtX but also it runs hotter and is loud ?

The X1900 spins GPU fan full speed for 2 seconds, then it falls virtually silent. The sound is within 1 decibel between the X1900 and 7900, so either is equally loud or quiet, depending on you perspective.

I just want the best available gaming card out there now.
I would appreciate some advice.

The X1900's have the best image quality period.
The X1900XT, overclocked in excess of XTX speeds is the best performing and highly advanced full featured card available currently, and is intended to run at higher resolutions with high AA setting which increases its lead on the 7900.

NewEgg has the HiS X1900 XT (one of the best enthusiasts brands, imo) for $449, which all of them can be overclocked past XTX speeds using their ATI designed and included driver and no voltage increase.